Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can't get into gear while stopped

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get into gear while stopped

My clutch is Exedy Twin HD with only 1500miles.
My problem started friday, it started out as just being hard to get into gear while i was stopped (this includes all gears) i put new brake fluid in hopeing it would help and i thought i might be low on tranny fluid since the crush washer had not been replaced and it had leaked some. Saturday when i tried to pull it out of the garage to put it on my lift and change the fluid i couldn't get it into gear at all. Well i jacked in up in the driveway and changed it with Penzoil Syncromesh and replaced the washer.

I started it up and it went into gear fine, but if i would put it in neutral and let the clutch out then try to put it back into gear it won't go but the car tries to pull forward, or backwards in reverse.

It shifts fine as long as the cars off smooth as butter. I'm taking it back to the shop that did my clutch monday because my seal between the tcase and driveshaft broke and leaked all my tcase fluid out so there replacing my tcase.

But i don't know what this could be??
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could try adjusting your clutch pedal to see if that makes any difference. I can't really think of what else it could be.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:03 AM

Yeah if the car shifts while off, then its definetly nothing gear box related. Just engaugment. You could if you wanted press on and off the clutch pedal with the car off while having someone inspect how far the clutch slave cylinder moves (if at all). But the shop should take care of you.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same clutch same problem my friend had. Adjust it clock-wise (I believe, theres a threado n here to confirm that) and your gravy, Don;t get worried it's nothing big. Adjust the clutch and you'll be shifting like butter from a stop in no time!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:07 AM
Account Disabled

There might be air in the system. Did you try bleeding it, or like said above adjust the clutch. Every clutch engages at a different point so small adjustments are needed when the clutch is replaced.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:10 AM

The clutch is not fully releasing. Turn the car off put it into gear and try to start it. Make sure no one is in front of you. If it pulls but doesn’t move much it may be that your clutch just needs to be bled, if it jumps and moves then your clutch is misaligned or damaged and needs to be repaired/ replaced. Bleed the system first, make sure the reservoir stays topped off the pickup is near the top and see if that helps.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:08 PM

i can start it in gear and it doesn't pull or jump or anything, it just does like normal until i put it in neutral and let the clutch out
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Location: I'm Canadian living and working in Dubai/Kuwait/Bahrain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you release the clutch how far off the floor does it bite?

FWIW i have the same clutch and experienced similar problems, here was my fix.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...erse-prob.html

Last edited by dxbtune; Oct 18, 2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 05:35 PM

it starts to very close to the bottom but not fully disengaging until about another inch above where it starts
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:30 PM

i have a 5-speed btw
Old Oct 18, 2009, 06:36 PM

I had the same problem. Adjusting the clutch takes about 10 minutes and does the trick!

Go to www.evomoto.com and there is a "how-to" on this.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yah agree with everyone else. Try adjusting the clutch and also bleed it. Could be air in there.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:15 PM

i don't understand why i would need to adjust it after it has gotten 1500miles on it, why would it be fine until now?
Old Oct 18, 2009, 07:30 PM

also remove the pill in the slave cylinder it takes like half an hour and will allow more fluid to pass through. aftermarket clutches need more fluid. i had the same problem but it works great now
Old Oct 19, 2009, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

Location: I'm Canadian living and working in Dubai/Kuwait/Bahrain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by elijahcole92
it starts to very close to the bottom but not fully disengaging until about another inch above where it starts
Ive got the same clutch and it worked perfect at the beginning then needed fine adjustment.

Seems to me like your not disengaging the clutch fully, mine needed adjustment over time. If it bites almost immediately then fully only an inch later i would assume when you push the clutch pedal in all the way there's not enough throw and your most probably not disengaging the clutch fully. Adjust the clutch so that it engages fully 1/2 " at a time outwards from the floorboard from where its set at now until its where you want it.

One more thing, when the car is off and the clutch pedal is fully in, does it go through all the gears easily?

Quick Reply: Can't get into gear while stopped