Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Will pay whomever leads me to the cause of my no start issue.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will pay whomever leads me to the cause of my no start issue.

Due to a limited amount of help on every forum I'm on, I'm willing to pay $50 via Paypal sent as a gift to the 1st person that points out the problem with my car based info I give and datalogs once the car runs again. Unfortunately, I live nowhere near a shop or another Evo owner that could help in person. I've posted several threads so far looking for the problem and am still in the same spot so I'll type everything again.

Early this month, after over a month of having starting and idling problems on my new build, I found that the fuel pump and filter were covered in rust from sitting since early 2008. I cleaned the tank out while waiting for a new pump and filters.

5/7/12, install the new pump and filter. After a little bit of cranking, the car starts up and idles great. I was content with that and called it a night.

5/8/12, took the car out for the 1st WOT log. Only ran it to 5k so my tuner could take a look before revving any further. Brought it back home, let it idle to cool down and shut it off. Didn't touch anything but the drivers door to shut it after that.

5/9/12, didn't get a new image to flash this day so I got in to get some more break in miles. Car started up and died immediately twice, then just cranked. Here we go again.

5/10/12, thinking the fuel filter was clogged up again, I pulled the pump and replaced the filter with a new one. No difference. Pulled the plugs out and grounded them, found out I'm getting no spark or fuel. Fuel gets to the rail but the injectors won't click. No CEL even when unplugging the CPS and CAS either.

So far, I tried 2 cam angle sensors, 2 sets of coils, checked all fuses(under hood and in car) multiple times, even swapped fuses around including the black square fuses, another ECU with the correct immobilizer code, checked the crank position sensor visually and it gets a signal turning over by hand, coils get 12V constant power but no power on the other wire while cranking but gets a ground on all sensors. Car cranks over strong and that's it.

Now for the logs. Values are correct when key is in "ON" position but goes nuts when cranking. It gets these values somewhere and they are in no way correct.

Attachment are on these pages:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...stions-83.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ook-fried.html
Old May 23, 2012, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same issue with my car last year. The crank sensor went bad out of no where. I replaced it and car fired right up. Also the sensor was giving a signal to the AEM but it wouldnt stay on. It was cutting in and out. Hope that helps.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bosco121
same issue with my car last year. The crank sensor went bad out of no where. I replaced it and car fired right up. Also the sensor was giving a signal to the AEM but it wouldnt stay on. It was cutting in and out. Hope that helps.
I've thought this before, the logs are picking up timing and RPM but it's all over the place. Since you claim you got a signal from it but it was bad, you may be receiving $50 soon.

I'll order a CPS today and see what happens.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

When you swapped ecu's to be sure the immobilizer isn't a problem:
Set "immobilizer hex" to 0040 assuming you have a 2003
Set "immobilizer" to 0000
Set "FAA bit 3" to 0

Also I have diagnosed cars by placing an extra jumper cable from the engine to the ecu to verify good ground. I have come across it more then once, so don't write it off
Old May 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to ask if you have any other issues with the car currently since the car sat for so long. I ask this because if your MFI relay takes a crap you can crank all day and have nothing going to your ecu for thus not pulling codes. If the ecu isnt powered up you wont ever get trigger voltage to any of the sensors or components that rely on the switching transistors within the ecu. I know you said you checked the fuses and such but I know evo's wont start either if you have blown an ignition fuse (inside the car under the drivers side dash).
Old May 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Oh and if you get the time, take the lower timing cover off and take a look at the crank position switch reluctor wheel. Make sure it isnt bent or has moved at all. I found a friend's reluctor wheel had moved over about 5-6 degrees and was giving him jacked up readings since the timing events didnt match according to the ecu since the reluctor wheel on the crank moved and the cam position sensor was still reading the cam correctly
Old May 23, 2012, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostzealot
I was going to ask if you have any other issues with the car currently since the car sat for so long. I ask this because if your MFI relay takes a crap you can crank all day and have nothing going to your ecu for thus not pulling codes. If the ecu isnt powered up you wont ever get trigger voltage to any of the sensors or components that rely on the switching transistors within the ecu. I know you said you checked the fuses and such but I know evo's wont start either if you have blown an ignition fuse (inside the car under the drivers side dash).
I swapped around the fuses and the MFI relay was one of them. The lower timing cover is currently off and there's no damage to the crank sensor and the trigger wheel is brand new and not damaged either.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

cool, let us know if the cps fixes it. good luck!
Old May 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

cool, let us know if the cps fixes it. good luck!
Thanks. If it does solve the problem, it'll be good info for the forum.
Old May 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I told you to check the crank sensor and reluctor already bro... even when they are bad sometimes they will not throw a code... Good luck!
Old May 23, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He has logs, therefore his laptop is talking to the ECU.

You want him to make sure his ECU is getting power.

With both the crank reading and RPM freaking out, the crank sensor is definitely a good first stop.
Old May 23, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

The new crank sensor should be here Saturday. This whole time, I counted it out due to getting a signal and not throwing a CEL. But, when I unplugged the crank and cam sensors then cranked the engine over, I still didn't get a CEL so we shall see.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cmspaz
He has logs, therefore his laptop is talking to the ECU.

You want him to make sure his ECU is getting power.

With both the crank reading and RPM freaking out, the crank sensor is definitely a good first stop.
K so the reason i brought that up is because the ecu gets power from a couple of different places to do various things with. When my galant was doing this my mfi relay wasnt giving power to the ecu for the set of transistors that went to my ignition and fuel event timing along with my distributor. Therefore, I suggested looking for power there if in fact the sensors were deemed good....like after swapping them....like we already decided he was going to do
Old May 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just test the CPS instead of buying a new one?
Old May 24, 2012, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobrick
Why not just test the CPS instead of buying a new one?
CPS was tested as explained in the 1st post, picks up a signal but is apparently cutting out causing random values as described on post 1 & 2 from my data logs. If this was your car, what would you do next?

Quick Reply: Will pay whomever leads me to the cause of my no start issue.