Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ignition help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition help!!!!

I tested both coil packs and I they work but not when hooked up to cylinders two and three. The car recently started running like crap so after further infection two and three plugs were extremely black. I blame the fouled plugs on running 93 octane on my e85 tune for a few weeks but with partial throttle and highway cruising to work. I put in used plugs and it idled fine. Shortly after I loaded up my 93 octane map and went for a ride and it felt perfect! Then ride two it fails again. I had a COP on the car and had the problem but then just checked it with the stock coil and wires and found the problem of cylinders two and three not firing.
Old May 14, 2013, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

I see a stumped you guys. I will be swapping out my cam position sensors and see if thats it. I still have spark in one and four so crank position sensor isn't the culprit.
Old May 14, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dangle
I see a stumped you guys. I will be swapping out my cam position sensors and see if thats it. I still have spark in one and four so crank position sensor isn't the culprit.
havee you tried swapping th coils from 2-3 to 1-4 to test the harness, Might alos try looking at the resistor pack to see if any corrosion etc on the 2-3 ones

hope this helps
Old May 14, 2013, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
havee you tried swapping th coils from 2-3 to 1-4 to test the harness, Might alos try looking at the resistor pack to see if any corrosion etc on the 2-3 ones

hope this helps
^^^ I am running a cop also, had a similar problem on the other cylinders. Found the wire connection on the rt to be the problem, thinking the one to the left side is your issue since it should be the ones for 2-3 cylinders. Just idle the car and start moving connectors and wait to see what happens.
Old May 14, 2013, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR

hope this helps
it didn't as I stated that I have eliminated coils from the equation from using my cop and stock ignition. The ECU isn't telling 2 and 3 to fire.
Old May 16, 2013, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

No progress yet but when the car is on the coil pack for 2 and 3 gets really hot!!!! This has to be electrical
Old May 23, 2013, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Hopefully somebody is following and could give insight. This car is gonna get burned to the ground soon if I don'[t find a solution. I found a blown off vacuum hose to be the cause of the problem and once reinstalled the car ran perfect again. It wasn't until I drove it to work where the SAME problem happened. I took it home and boost leaked tested the car and nothing was leaking. I put everything back together and what do you know the car is working again. That was until I went to work and guess what same thing happened. I can't find the cause to this issue. Im only throwing P0300 codes and thats it.
Old May 23, 2013, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kinda sounds like a wiring problem to the 2-3 coil. With the car running, wiggle all the wiring for the coils all the way back down into the harness and see if the engine starts/quits missing while you wiggle the wires.
Old May 23, 2013, 06:06 PM

How are you checking the coils? Gotta see what kind of KV they are jumping. If its isolated on 2-3 and it happens even when you install a different coil on plug setup I wouldn't rule out having bad coils in both sets. Any lean condition will stress coils out and shorten the life span considerably.

Start by checking how much of a gap your 1-4 coil jumps. Then check your 2-3 if any. Then swap them and check it again.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help guys. It ended up being one of the harness pins was pushed in too far on my cop plug leading to a bad connection. Funny thing it was for cylinders 1 and 4 when 2 and three were fouling. This would have been found sooner if my stock 35k miles coils weren't bad. They were working when pulled for the cop system but now the car runs like **** with them in but ok with the cop. I hope it isn't masking anything