Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Weir performance 16 plate max grip lsd kit review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weir performance 16 plate max grip lsd kit review

First let me start off by saying this is my First review. I am a big tech junky and car junky. ...And, like most people, I would love some over steer and searched for it on this web site and others. I Live in the Inland Empire and have had my car for 4 years, i am the second owner.

I have a white EVO 9 MR, about 98000 miles. STOCK engine! YES people think i am weird cause i went backwards on an evo! I worked on the handling instead!

STOCK BLACK BBS RIMS 255/40/17 S.drive. 35psi all around
1.3 camber front, 1.0 camber rear
0 toe front, 1.5mm (1/16inch) rear

BR RACING ER 2 WAY coilovers 2 inches front and 1.5 inches rear lowered
8kg / 10kg spring rates front and rear

Hard 0 ----- 30 soft
front 0 rebound, 24 compression/ 1 rebound, 24 compression

Perrin Performance Rear Sway Bar, 3 settings: Full Hard

MASSIMO POWER, Corona CA installed:
My 16 plate kit and ON THE DOT WHEEL ALIGNMENT (had a lot of alignments and its never been this good. Its really on the dot)

TUNING TECHNOLOGIES, Colton CA installed:
BR RACING ER coilovers. and Perrin Performance 27mm rear Sway bar (for their first time handling this brand of coilovers, they installed it in 6 hours, got to go home the same day. Amazing people)

ACD Tuning: Me ... I have read and saw the diagrams of the All wheel drive system. Used all the maps, set up the wiring, and programming. Tested for 2 years with the coilovers and sway bar. Now I Started testing with the Rear LSD.

All this stuff helped but it came to the point where it got boring. Weir Performance does have a 12 Plate kit. I got the 16 Plate kit with 2 new pressure plates, 18 plates total.

Before the LSD upgrade:
I would try different rebound rates and compression rates. It helped with grip and stability or comfort. With the ACD flashes that I did at home, I used different LOCK rates, timing events ( G force points, Steering point).The ACD Helped a lot and gave a little oversteer but not enough for my taste. The front wheels will PULL the car around a turn. The ACD Only makes sure that the Rear tires catch up with the Front tires. When the ACD was OPEN (not fully LOCKED) a lot or a little, most of the power will go to the Front tires because the front tires make a LARGER ARC on a TURN. ON any OPEN DIFF the wheel that is easier to move because: its up in the air, or traveling more or is going in a faster rate then the other to make a bigger ARC, that is where the power will go. One end spins more then the other end, the power will go where it is easier. OUR Center diffs are 50/50 split but the front tires make the bigger arc. The rear tires follow, the ACD makes sure it catches up to have an Equal Speed or Equal ARC. Front Drive Dominant, so the car Pulls! The rear tires do have power but it will come close to equal the front, not overpower the front.

I had and first generation Honda S2000. It was fun! Oversteered! Unpredictable at times! I know what oversteer is and how it should be.

AFTER the LSD upgrade:
After driving off the shop, i feel the back dragging on acceleration and deceleration. This car is NO longer pulling. The REAR tires are in charge and now the ACD is Making sure the front tires keep up with the rear tires. I drove carefully for a week and broke it in. When it came time to check out what the car can do, I needed space. I Found an empty area, no cars or people around for a mile.
...Turn, gas and the weight transfers to the Rear Outside wheel, the diff locks, inside wheel went off the floor little, and the REAR TAKES OVER. The REAR just TURNS and SLIDES. Rear tires over powers the Front Tires. The REAR TIRES literally SUCKSSSS ALL the POWER AWAY from the FRONT. THE FRONT TIRES Have NO POWER! The Front Tires are NO Longer IN THE WAY!!! ITS AMAZING
...THE ACD sees slip, it sees the turning angle and makes the FRONT TIRES catch up with the REAR TIRES. The ACD starts to Lock, BRINGS the POWER back to a solid 50/50 split! Pulls me out of the slide and the direction I want to go. Amazing!!! I take it to the track and I just point and it goes where i want it too. Very stable, very predictable, and smooth. Its great on the track.

It chatters, its noisy, not that bad, really ...so what!!! people complain about the noise, so what!!! That means it works!!! The 16 Plates and the 2 New Pressure Plates give a great amount of PRELOAD so it acts like a 1.5way lsd. On deceleration all it does is Stabilizes the rear and the front catches up, So it is very stable off throttle, it actually feels amazingly SAFER then Before the upgrade.

My suspension was neutral with a little oversteer off throttle. Now it oversteers on command and is crazy fun and still safe. I recommend it. Take your time, drive safe, take care of your car. ....My ENGINE is STOCK, now its time to add power, I am done with Handling because it just how i wanted it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
How tight was the install with 16plates + 2 spring plates? The site says no diff modification needed but that seems like a lot of plates to shove in there.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great ! But is it really straight bolt on? And what about quality of the plates, I've seen some bad words of it?!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:31 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
interesting review. also, adding more power is going to change your handling.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also interested to know about plate and spring plate quality and also fitment. How hard was it to get the small screws done up after the plate install?

The ralliart Group N rear diff is a 16 plate, it was homolagated for racing use in Group N. It was paired with the ralliart supertraction front LSD. Evos really are made for very locky diffs, they are so watered down for public sale and sadly many people think that's how they're meant to be and as good as they get, still running stock diffs, stock ACD ECU etc.

I gotta say though, you say you'e after handling but you're running 255's on 8" rims... sloppy man, get some tyres that fit without loads of sidewall flex or get some larger wheels if you want to run that much rubber.

Last edited by EvocentriK; Sep 24, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:10 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
^ truth. I just saw that. I run a 255 on a 9.5" wheel. 8" is very narrow.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 05:49 PM

Massimo Performance installed the plate kit. They said they have installed the plates before with no problems and great feed back. Some of the shop techs have the 12 plate kit and enjoy it. There Shop car has the stock plates fixed in the correct way and they say its enough for what they need in the track. They kept warning me about how much it locks up and to be very careful.
The steel plates are some what in between smooth and textured, compared to the stock plates that are more rough and have a carved out pattern to grip on one another. As the Weir plates broke in, the car drove easy and almost like if the plates where not there. I thought they were wearing out already after the first 1000 miles. It wasn't being aggressive as i wanted it in the first place. I WAS WRONG. The plates work on heat friction more, then grip. As i tried to oversteer a couple of times, with disappointing results, the plates came back to life!
The oil and plates need to heat up with their own friction, once the temp is up, the plates lock up Amazing. The tail swings out and understeer is gone once again.
The Seasons have changed and its been cold and raining. The Wier plates still work very smooth with everyday driving, with some understeer gone. Once I warm up the rear diff, it works Great in the rain and still cools quick, then feels safe once again.
I know i have 255 on the stock rims and would need stickier tires or a wider rim. But the sliding is so much more fun and helps with controlling the car, it hasn't come to the point where I need better contact patch as of now. Eventually I will have more power and just adjust the ACD tune to work with it. I actually do find my self returning back to the stock ACD maps at times because of the balance, the tail swing and power delivery.

Last edited by Malocas; Oct 24, 2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by EvocentriK
Also interested to know about plate and spring plate quality and also fitment. How hard was it to get the small screws done up after the plate install?

The ralliart Group N rear diff is a 16 plate, it was homolagated for racing use in Group N. It was paired with the ralliart supertraction front LSD. Evos really are made for very locky diffs, they are so watered down for public sale and sadly many people think that's how they're meant to be and as good as they get, still running stock diffs, stock ACD ECU etc.

I gotta say though, you say you'e after handling but you're running 255's on 8" rims... sloppy man, get some tyres that fit without loads of sidewall flex or get some larger wheels if you want to run that much rubber.
The Kit did come with: 16 plates, 2 spring plates, and some small screws ( I think it was 4). Massimo performance had no problem installing it, they used the tools they had, took it apart and back together again. I got the car back the same day.

As for the tires i probably will go back to 235 or 245. Although with all the sliding and curves, all the tires have still warn out evenly. The Diff has been to much fun, it just takes away the attention of the other working items.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by LeXcite
Great ! But is it really straight bolt on? And what about quality of the plates, I've seen some bad words of it?!
IT IS BOLT ON. The reviews maybe a little something but i have had a great time with the car after the install. Its very progressive !!! relying on oil/friction temperature !!!

On a cold day, fun and safe
On a hot day, BEARUTIFUL