Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

How bad did I mess this up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2015, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How bad did I mess this up?

My car evo 8 118k miles cosworth 272 cams stock bottom end to my knowledge. So head gasket was pushing coolant. Decided it was time for a head gasket and timing kit since it was almost due. Ordered some regular arp head studs and the Jays racing timing tool set. Got it all apart my buddy picked up the head and took it to his friend that works at a machine shop. He checked magna fluxed the head. Wasn't cracked or warped. I didn't have an allen key for the head studs so I had to run to Walmart at midnight I get back and put the head on and I forget to line up the cam gears and torque down the head. So this is the end product of this madness is one cam gear is off and I couldn't get it to line up.Name:  2015-12-08%2005.15.09.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  390.1 KBso question is do I have to take the head back off to rotate the cam gear to where I need it? Thanks in advance
Old Dec 8, 2015, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
You don't have to take the head off to rotate the cam gear but you have to take the head off to check your valves or at least do a leakdown test before you put everything back together
Old Dec 8, 2015, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
You don't have to take the head off to rotate the cam gear but you have to take the head off to check your valves or at least do a leakdown test before you put everything back together
I would have to do a leak down test to check my valve even thou they're brand new?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

Name:  20151208_062237.jpg
Size:  706.0 KB Would I be able to rotate the cam using a box wrench on the camshaft itself? I tried by hand and felt like it was binding or maybe I am just that weak hahah
Old Dec 8, 2015, 09:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You need to take the head back off. You likely torqued the head down with open valves touching a piston.

Take the head back off, and go one cylinder at a time. With the valves closed, poor gasoline in the port. It should just slowly weep through the valve. If the valve is bent if will poor out, or you'll simply be able to see that a valve is bent.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

What is the probability I bent some valves? Even with the cam gear in the position it was with the timing mark up? I will take the head off after work and make sure I loosen them in the correct sequence so I don't mess up my new head gasket correct? Thanks again for the info. And since the head studs were just installed I should have no problem installing them again and just follow the direction once again?
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:16 AM
EvoM Guru

The head stud will be fine, just follow the directions again, yes. You will need to ensure they are still bottomed out in the block, they loosen when you loosen the nuts.

You should buy another head gasket.

Cam timing is 90* off in that pic. The 4g doesn't need that much to make contact. So it's likely that they touched. If you got lucky, the valve was able to push the piston out of the way. If you didn't, you might have some bent valves. The good news is that valves aren't super expensive, and getting the valve job redone isn't that bad either. If you need it.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

OK followed your direction and all went very well. No bent valves. Head is back on with new oem gasket. Took me a while to line up all the timing marks.Name:  20151209_142600.jpg
Size:  269.0 KB. Almost ready to throw the valve cover on. What can I use to clean it?Name:  20151210_001903.jpg
Size:  822.0 KB
Old Dec 10, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your timing is wrong still. The mark go upward and faceing out a bit. You'll need the valve cover on to see where the cam gears line up.

Follow the directions here. https://www.evomoto.com/tech_article..._article_id=18. They have detailed images as well.

How bad did I mess this up?-a3e1yjzl.jpg

Last edited by J_Striker; Dec 10, 2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 08:45 AM
EvoM Guru

SSSTTTTTTOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As point out above me, you now have BOTH cams 90* off.......

Which means you may have leak tested the wrong valves last time. In the first picture, it was your exhaust cam that was off, not the intake. Did you leak test all of the valves, or just the intakes?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 09:10 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
your car isn't a Honda. you do not line up the timing marks with each other.

just my opinion, but you really should not be working on your own car until you know what you are doing. this can get really expensive real quick.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
SSSTTTTTTOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As point out above me, you now have BOTH cams 90* off.......

Which means you may have leak tested the wrong valves last time. In the first picture, it was your exhaust cam that was off, not the intake. Did you leak test all of the valves, or just the intakes?
Damn. I just tested the intake valves. Well time to rip if off once more
Old Dec 10, 2015, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kaj
your car isn't a Honda. you do not line up the timing marks with each other.

just my opinion, but you really should not be working on your own car until you know what you are doing. this can get really expensive real quick.
Yea I know it's not a Honda but I I'm trying to learn. What better way then my own car?
Old Dec 10, 2015, 09:27 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_nation
Yea I know it's not a Honda but I I'm trying to learn. What better way then my own car?
true. but you should do the research before just messing with stuff. i never do a major job without the service manual (you can download it for free). even though i'm pretty familiar with cars, especially mine, i tend to forget little things.

having your cams so far off (twice) is really bad and can end up costing you quite a bit. hopefully not..

but that's a really important job to attempt without knowing what you are doing.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:54 AM
EvoM Guru

In all reality, IF it bent valves, He can replace the few that bent (it will likely only be one cylinder if anything happened) and then get the whole head rebuilt (fresh valve job and seals, surfaced) for less then $300. So, it's not an end of the world mistake. Doing the work himself he has saved a good bit more than that on labor, and he's learning.

Quick Reply: How bad did I mess this up?