Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TPS sensor testing help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPS sensor testing help!

I am a beginner using a multimeter so bear with me. I read a youtube video about how to test on an domestic vehicle and read several threads on evom. My Radioshack multimeter quit working (being the garage for 20years), but luckily my brother in law gave me a Craftsman one with autoranging.

http://www.socalevo.net/gallery/albu...l_tps_adj1.JPG

Plug test unplugged:
  1. Tested the continuity of the ground and it beeped.
  2. Tested the continuity of the other 2 wires (signal to ecu and positive), but no beep: I am assuming I either did this wrong or it is not suppose to beep?

Plugged in test:
  1. Poked a small hole in both wires as the plug is sealed from the outside and I do not see any way to slip the prob into the pin itself?
  2. Turned key to the on position.
  3. Tested both the green (signal out to ecu) and grey (sensor power) and got about 5v.
  4. 4. Tested both the green and grey wires moving the throttle slowly to open and back to closed. I got about 5v with no voltage change as the throttle was moved.
I need confirmation that I tested this wrong or that my sensor is bad?
I did see that the sensor was at 5v so does it need to be adjusted to the 0.535-0.735v range for it to work properly when I move the throttle from closed to open?

Any help is appreciated because my car is being remotely tuned and this needs fixed before we can start the tune!

Reference threads:
http://my.prostreetonline.com/2015/0...evolution-tps/
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...tting-tps.html

Last edited by ryukinevo; Aug 22, 2016 at 09:04 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Bump, no responses yet?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Reading your links, it says test between sensor wire and ground.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Since you said you will be getting remote tuned Im assuming you have Evoscan. If you do, what is the TPS %? It should be around 13% without moving the throttle.

The beep test should only beep when on the ground wire since you are checking continuity to ground and the other 2 arent grounded.

The sensor power you should be able to disconnect the plug and see if you get 5v at the plug. For the signal to ecu you should plug it up, put 1 lead on ground and put the other lead on the signal to ecu wire and it should change as you move the throttle.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
Reading your links, it says test between sensor wire and ground.
Thanks for the replys!

edsct9a I am using evo 9 AEM series 2, so can't use the evoscan method.

barneyb Referring to the diagram, I tested wire #2 using vdc on my multimeter.

See 2nd picture in step 1 of prostreet tutorial, there is no pin in the plug for wire #3. It is a 3 wire sensor, but 4 pin plug.

Last edited by ryukinevo; Aug 24, 2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by edsct9a
Since you said you will be getting remote tuned Im assuming you have Evoscan. If you do, what is the TPS %? It should be around 13% without moving the throttle.

The beep test should only beep when on the ground wire since you are checking continuity to ground and the other 2 arent grounded.

The sensor power you should be able to disconnect the plug and see if you get 5v at the plug. For the signal to ecu you should plug it up, put 1 lead on ground and put the other lead on the signal to ecu wire and it should change as you move the throttle.
Referring to the diagram, I tested wire #2 using vdc on my multimeter.

The ground wire #4 beeped with continuity test. Sounds like I did this correctly since only beep for the ground.

I got about 5v for both wires #1, #2 with no change as I open close the throttle. It was about 5v whether it was plugged or not plugged in. Throttle cable looks to be moving correctly.

My tuner saw in the AEM that tps is not functioning correctly like it's not plugged in?

Comments?

Last edited by ryukinevo; Aug 24, 2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

My friend suggested I unplug the sensor and test the sensor directly for resistance change.

Does anyone know what omh values would be when I move the throttle from closed to open?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 08:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is what i recommend doing, it may look complicated, but this is a 30minute job max, once you have all the pieces

1. use your socal evo link
2. locate a small 5v power supply. something from an old battery charger for a toy or cordless phone, hopefully you get the idea.
3. locate female pins that fit onto your tps from fry's. i will call those tps pins
4. cut the plug end off the power supply, put 1 tps pin on the power side, use your volt meter to verify, but it's pretty obvious ( ground is the shielded wire stuff).
5. locate 2 pieces of 18 gauge wire ~5" long
6. remove 1/2" of shielding from all 4 ends of the 2 wire pieces
7. twist the ground of the p.s. & 1 wire segment together, then stick a female tps pin on both those wires
8. put a female pin on the end of the un-used wire segment.

so you should have 3 female tps clips on 1 end & 2 flying leads facing the opposite direction.

9. zip tie / shrink wrap the loose wire to the p.s. wire, so the separate lead that connects to "tps output" doesnt get lost. leave some room, so you can easily use / connect those flying leads

so now you have two un-terminated flying leads, 1 is ground & 1 is output. mark the output wire somehow, use a red clip, something to make it easy to identify.

put "power" to pin#1, "separate wire" to pin#2, "ground" wire to pin#4

connect those "opposite end / 2 flying leads" to your voltmeter, use the "V ---" setting on the volt meter.

if your voltmeter leads are not the roach clip style, then while at frys pick up some female clips that slides onto the probe ends of the volt meters leads or locate some female blade style connector ends, crimp those onto the exposed wire ends & stick the probe ends into those.

put the tps on your tb, get it close to where the impression from the washers were the last time & position the tps so the closed throttle / tps voltage is between 0.640 / 0.660v

when you go full throttle on the tb, your tps should read >4.9xxV

you can probably buy some cheapo 5v power supply from fries as well.

The time it took me to type this out probably took longer to make the device if parts were sitting in front of me.

Last edited by Aby@MIL.SPEC; Aug 30, 2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

It does look very complicated, thanks for the reply!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 06:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ryukinevo
It does look very complicated, thanks for the reply!
it's really not, especially compared to all the time that has passed from when you posted your original question till now.

since you have an aem, simply put the tps on in a position to where the screw washers looked to live in the past = marks on the tps body.

plug in your lap top, turn the key on, open aempro, go to Configure/ecu set-up / set throttle range. Simply follow the instructions from there.

after your done with that, if you dont see any life in the tps, as your friend pointed out, the tps is crap or simply not connected.

GL
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you!