Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Just got my rebuilt motor had some questions.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2016, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I don't think the machined shop actually test the compression. they would have needed an engine stand with a war to mount the starter and spin the motor over. It would also be poor practice to do it without an intake manifold on the head with some kind of air filter. 185psi would be a fresh 9.5 or 10:1 motor.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Yea the machine shop might have just jotted those numbers down off the dome.

Because 180 psi is usually found in a lot of engines so he probably just wanted to sound perfect.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I don't think the machined shop actually test the compression. they would have needed an engine stand with a war to mount the starter and spin the motor over. It would also be poor practice to do it without an intake manifold on the head with some kind of air filter. 185psi would be a fresh 9.5 or 10:1 motor.
thats what I'm told by them. Idk what they do but they have some 80k dollar machines. I'm lost on what this thing needs
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:05 AM
EvoM Guru

It needs to be ran...

I think every machine shop has at least a few $80k machines...lol
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
It needs to be ran...

I think every machine shop has at least a few $80k machines...lol
so you think it's ok to run then? If he says it's 8:8:1 then it should be stock. If something happens I guess it would be on him.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

Yup.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bzacharias
i didn't see why I needed a tune either with the 8:8:1. But I was wondering about the compression being 185. What's stock? Like 145?
I was assuming that your setup had changed; almost all builds people add big turbos, EBCS, etc etc etc that require cal changes.

If you did not change any components other than just rebuilding the motor, you should be ready to rage and just control the break in with your right foot.

Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by kaj
If you had someone build your engine, I'd definitely follow their recommendation. Otherwise, if something goes wrong, it's 100% on you.
100% this as well. If they give you a break in, follow it.

I have seen forced induction miata guys just start it, change the oil, then go run 10 naturually aspirated WOTs followed by full boost wots to seat the rings, change the oil and then rip it.

It is also good to note that Chrome (or any super hard metal) rings will need to be run more like this method to ensure good seating. Steel rings are a little bit easier to seat with just running mildly.

Remember, whatever you do, you want to make sure those bastards are seated before putting synthetic in the motor. If you put it in too soon, you will stop the seating process and be stuck with a motor that burns oil.

Hope this helps.

Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:55 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
If nothing else has changed just the rebuild you don't need a retune. Just focus on putting everything back together correctly. Start it up, make sure there are no leaks and you have oil pressure and no CEL's. Then get it all the way up to operating temperature, the oil too not just the coolant, then go rip on it like you just robbed a bank.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna change the oil at 500 miles and use conventional for another 3,000 probably before I even switch to synthetic I think. I wanna make sure everything is seated good before I use any other oil
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (Oct 28, 2016)
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna change the oil at 500 miles and use conventional for another 3,000 probably before I even switch to synthetic I think. I wanna make sure everything is seated good before I use any other oil
Shouldn't have any issues then. GL brother.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 12:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
600 torque or so because h beam. I beam is stronger.
Dont quote me on this.
Yes tune asap
Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
If nothing else has changed just the rebuild you don't need a retune. Just focus on putting everything back together correctly. Start it up, make sure there are no leaks and you have oil pressure and no CEL's. Then get it all the way up to operating temperature, the oil too not just the coolant, then go rip on it like you just robbed a bank.
You should change the oil after the first 20 minutes or 20 miles or so of driving. Then change it again at 500 miles.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 07:24 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
yea I'm gonna follow his procedures. Supposedly after 500mi I can use any oil I want and drive how I want.
I'm pretty sure that's what I did.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i say, get it running. make sure you have no misfire or leaks. record fuel trim. if fuel trim looks ok, do the break in. then find a good tuner. a good tuner would know the potential of the built engine with the given specs.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take the car for a ride varying rpm with lots of decel
THIS is good advice...

you do need to create vacuum for rings to seat properly

enjoy

Michael.

Quick Reply: Just got my rebuilt motor had some questions.