Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Why not RL Heavy Shock Proof in the TC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2004, 07:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not RL Heavy Shock Proof in the TC?

The transfer case definiately seems to be a weak spot (relativily speaking). All thats in there is a ring and pinion, open front diff, and a sealed VCU. A heavier oil would provide greater protection for the gears, and there is no syncros or lsd components to worry about.
If half of what Red line claims about this lubricant is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), it provides greater protection, flows, and lubricates better than even a good 80-140 oil, and certainly certainly would be better than the stock 90 weight oil.

Yes it's thicker than there recommended 75-90 oil so that might cost you a little HP, but for the added protection it seems like a very good trade off. Plus according to them it still flows better than the stock 90 weight oil.
I know that some peope already recommend this lubricant for the transfer case, but others do not. I am just curious about those that do not recommend it, um,, why not?
Old Apr 16, 2004, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

On a side note, I was looking at some old bottles of Redline Shockproof light weight oil.

The color of the fluid was a chalky yellow, like a sulfur suspension. Does anyone know if that's the color it's supposed to be?

I had these bottles in the garage, exposed to temperature swings.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've seen shock proof red and blue..... both new bottles i believe the heavy is red and the light is bluish

as for running it straight i ithnk its too thick to run straight i know on the older dsm's it was recommended to mix 50/50 with gear oil
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:26 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been using Heavy shockproof in both t/case and rear diff, so far no problems.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 01:25 AM
Evolving Member

Running shockproof in the TC and 75-90 redline gear oil in the rear... BG syncroshift for the front...Road Race Engineering recommended !!

WORKS PERFECT !!
Old Apr 17, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

shockproof light in the TC, 75w90 w/friction mod in the rear diff and GM syncromesh in the tranny.......

so far feels good, and no chatter

-Shahul
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Shahul,

Is that the 75-90NS? Because the regular 75-90 already has friction modifiers and does not seem to need any additional additives. I am running the regular 75-90 straight and it seems to work just fine. Adding additional friction modifiers to that lube, while it may not be noticable on the street would reduce the torque biasing of the differential. From what I have learned you just want enough friction modifiers to let the differential operate smoothly when cornering at low speeds.

I sent an email to Red Line explaining the situation with the TC and asked about the pros and cons with their shock proof lubricants in the TC and rear diff. I will let you all know what they say.

From reading their site info it seems that for best fuel economy and power/efficiency they recommend using the lightest oil that provides adequate protection/lubrication for each application. Given the way most of us use these cars and the TC history, it does seem that the heavy shock proof may be a good idea.

BTW I recently put the heavy shock proof in the TC, and just before getting on the dyno for my cam gear test I changed the motor oil. I usually run Red line 10-30 but the shop only had 20-50, for road racing I thought well maybe I am better off with the 20-50 so... Anyway, on the dyno after changing these fluids I measured a good 5 to 7WHP drop! I suspect the motor oil was the bigger factor, Red line claims that for each oil weight grade you go up or down you can gain or loose 1 to 2 percent engine power. I basically went from a 30 weight to a 50 weight and there was a good 2% power loss, so I guess they weren't kidding about that.
Another important note, with the 20-50 oil I noticed significantly more valve lifter noise (loud ticking). I am switching to 10-40 for the summer and 10-30 in the winter, I am in TX so up north I would go even thinner.

Ferb, you seem to be our resident oil expert, any thoughts or advice?
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Woah, keep it coming guys!!! I'm going to change out my fluid soon, but I'm still confuse about this matter. At 15K, what do you need to change out?
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

i am Using the 75w90 NS, I couldnt get my hands on straight 75w/90.... I used 4quarts of friction mod....

I was actually looking for Amsoil 2000 75w/90

-Shahul
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

masterevo.... this helped me alot

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=fluids

--shahul
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:28 PM
EvoM Guru

I have been using Heavy shockproof in both t/case and rear diff, so far no problems.
Hi Superz, did you have to add some friction modifier to the rear diff? BTW Ever get your money back from that guy?

I used 4quarts of friction mod....
Hey Shalu, how did you get 4 quarts of friction modifier into the rear diff?

I'm going to change out my fluid soon, but I'm still confuse about this matter. At 15K, what do you need to change out?
masterevo, I don't know how you drive your car, but with this car if your at 15K I would change them all, rear diff, TC, and transaxle.

as for running it straight i ithnk its too thick to run straight i know on the older dsm's it was recommended to mix 50/50 with gear oil
Why is it too heavy? What are the consequences of running a heavier oil in a gear box? According to Redline:

The Heavy can be rated as 75W250 gear oil, but has the lower internal fluid friction of an SAE 75W90
And:

BENEFIT SUMMARY

Greatest extreme-pressure protection
Lowest coefficient of friction available
Reduces temperatures dramatically
Provides thicker oil films between gear teeth
Completely resists throw-off
Reduces metal-to-metal contact
Compatible with petroleums and synthetics
Low fluid friction to improve power transfer
Provides gear teeth shock loading protection
Reduces gear noise
Granted this is all there own marketing claims, but I have not seen any negative feedback on these lubricants or anything to indicate these claims are untrue?
If the only trade off is slightly less HP, and with there claimed lower friction coefficient, Hp loss may be very little to none. I am now wondering if putting it in the transaxle maybe a good idea also? Maybe the light weight shock proof? Although the tranny seems to hold up well with standard 90 weight oil and I don't know what all of those shock proof additives would do to the yellow metals? I guess lets see what Red line recommends and everyone else has to say.

Could you tune the tranny lube with friction modifiers to get just the right amount of syncro engagement and lubrication?

I am thinking there must be some cons to using this shock proof lubricant, but right now I am just not seeing them, Anybody?
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Buschur has gone through two transfer cases using redline oil.

Their third one is working fine on oem fluid.

I blew one one redline oil, and my new one is holding up fine on oem fluid.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Yes, but was that there relatively thin 75-90 or there shock proof oils that seem to offer far better protection?
The OEM 90 weight oil is definiately heavier than the Red line 75-90, so it should offer greater shock protection compared to the RL 75-90, but the shock proof looks as though it would be far supperior to the OEM lube.
There have already been faulty/damaged transfer cases with the OEM fluid so...
It seems that a heavier weight oil will certainly improve reliability, but to suggest there is one particular magic fluid that will suddenly make your TC bulet proof seems highly unlikely.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SILVER SURFER

Hey Shalu, how did you get 4 quarts of friction modifier into the rear diff?

Oh yea.....lol DAMN YOU PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!!

-shahul
Old Apr 17, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DocMortal
Running shockproof in the TC and 75-90 redline gear oil in the rear... BG syncroshift for the front...Road Race Engineering recommended !!

WORKS PERFECT !!
ditto except I used the penzoil syncromesh... same stuff supposedly... works like a charm...

Quick Reply: Why not RL Heavy Shock Proof in the TC?