Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ebay boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay boost gauge

So whats the difference between something like this and the more expensive ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=38660

would you go for it?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Personally, I would never buy something like that. If you are getting a boost gauge for the Evo, chances are you are going to modify it. If not modify it, you are at least wanting to keep tabs on things. This is probably NOT a cosmetic-only modification. With that said, you should understand the importance of getting a high quality, acurate gauge. As far as cheap gauges go, AutoMeter makes some good ones. I would stay away from the Cobalt and Phantom ones. I've seen more bad than good with these. A good AutoMeter will run you around $30 to $50. For my car, I wanted something different. I didn't want the standard a-pillar pods or the steering colum pods or any of that stuff. I wanted a completely different set, something that you normally don't see. I chose the Blitz DC gauges. They are thin and light enough that you can mount them on the windshield, and they are all digital, using a stepping motor to acurately point to the proper indication.....Much better than older electronic gauges, which are designed a lot like OEM gauges, which is the reason that most people add aftermarket gauges in the first place.

A general rule of thumb throughout the DSM community has always been to treat your gauges like insurance. Get the most affordable for you, but that gives you ample coverage. Sure this gauge might be cheap, but that does not make it cost effective. What if you decide to turn up the boost and this gauge reads 1-2 PSI off? You try to set your manual boost controler for 19 PSI and all of a sudden you're at 21 PSI. Add one bad tank of fuel to that equation....Well, you see where that is going.

I just don't think that gauges are the place you need to worry about saving money. Cut the corners elsewhere. Your gauges should be reliable and from a name you can trust enough to send it back and get a replacement if it ever craps out on you.

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

they look sh!ty to me i would not get them
Old Sep 17, 2004, 01:38 AM
Evolved Member

i think im gonna get one and just have 3 boost gauges in the car. (yes, i already have two, im not a fan of bar)

at least that way i know if its accurate or not.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

that gauge looks cheap I wouldn't put it in my car...
Old Sep 17, 2004, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

get the apexi EL2 or the defi D. Both are around 100 bucks.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Well, besides it looking cheap, it's a mechanical gauge andthat's one reason its inexpensive. I think I only paid around ~$40 for my Autometer 30psi mechanical gauge. The $200 boost gauges you are seeing are electrical in that it uses a sensor to detect boost/vac levels instead of the vac lines like the mechical gauges do

If you want inexpensive gauges, go with autometer. They are reliable. they are just not as widely popular with import drivers as they are synonomous with old HotRods