Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

SRS + Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS + Electronic Issues

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an '03 evo. After much digging here are the problems I have found.

1. Both front impact sensors are gone, on one side the wires were cut.
2. Hazard light fuse was pulled. When I put a new one in it, the hazards are on constantly even without the ignition in the off position.
3. The horn is unplugged. When plugged back in the horn is on constantly with key out.
4. The seat belts are locked into place with the driver side having enough slack to still buckle and the passenger is locked and retracted completely.
5. There is no bumper under the bumper cover.
6. The car draws .2 amperes when the vehicle is off and the fuses in the yellow sleeve are pulled and the hazard fuse pulled. When the fuses in the yellow sleeve are in, it draws .7 amperes. That explains why I had to get a new battery.

Symptoms 1-5 and possibly 6 indicate the vehicle was in a front end collision.(the car even has an aftermarket bumper cover.) Now I know that I will need to replace the seat belts, I already have someone selling them to me. The impact sensors I hope I can find on any 03-05 lancer(correct me if I'm wrong). The computer will most likely need to be cleared by a dealership or hopefully a shop(correct me if I'm wrong again).

7. My gauge lights do not work but my indicator lights work for example when brights are on or doors are open the little indicator light in the dash comes on but I cannot see the speedo or tach at night.
8. My power locks do not work. Is this in relation to the impact sensors?
9. The turn signals do not work. Most definitely related to the hazard fuse.
10. The radiator fan is gone. Please let me know if I should get one/if it is needed.

Here are several pictures I have snapped showing these problems.

I checked the sticky about electrical gremlins related to the kickpanel seal. I checked my conntectors under that kickpanel and they look ok. But the seal is definitely not sealed.

I want to make this car legal and safe first and foremost. What should I do?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kick the living **** out of the person that sold it to you, money back and get another car.

The stuff u mentioned ... Possibly the airbags are not there either then and so on... Fixing all this stuff can run you a well few thousand $.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

HOLY ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE BATMAN!!

Ok first thing I would do is find that amp draw. Sounds like they tried to put in an alarm and failed miserably. Look up how to test for amp draw off the battery and start pulling fuses one at a time till you find your problem area and you see .000 amps. Then you can start looking to wherever that is at.

As for the door locks, it looked like you were missing a relay under the bay for it. Try getting that OEM relay or something comparable. If that doesn't work check the fuse for the locks. If that fails then you got some cut wires more than likely.

Oh and the horn is getting a constant ground somewhere. Could be the switch, could be the horn trigger, something is not proper though.

As for the rest I'll try to dig up some more info or others could supply input. Gotta get going now. GL

Last edited by Yimke; Feb 18, 2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

this may not solve all of your problems, but its a good place to start. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/in...lins-rain.html
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:59 AM

Damn bro thats not good. Give that evo back and ill sell you mine lol. Unless you really gota good deal???
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:11 PM
jn

All of the airbags are still there.

I think a good question would be to ask:

If the front impact sensors are gone, what symptoms would result?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

doesnt the front impact sensor plug in near the radiator, on both sides. maybe thats something else. but i unplugged that when i was blacking out my headlights last week and if you turn the key while its out you'll get an srs....... ****
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:25 PM

Yes jn, that is an excellent question. I have referenced the manual quite a bit but will keep digging. There is a large warning message in the manual that said something along the lines of... "DO NOT UNPLUG IMPACT SENSORS."

I would assume the airbags were either replaced if they had been fired because I'm pretty sure it destroys the middle of the momo steering wheel.

Can someone take a picture of their impact sensors for me because I'm not sure if that is actually what I'm missing or not. Or if anyone knows of a thread with that picture, link it. Actually if someone could just post pictures of all the things I just took pictures of, that'd be excellent and help me a ton.

Yimke, other clues do indicate that the car had an alarm system at one point in time.
The majority of the amp draw is on the dome light and dash fuses that are in the yellow sleeve. This could be where they installed the alarm system, seems like taking power from the dome light run would be a good idea if I was installing the alarm. So there could be a short somewhere on this run.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions so far.

Last edited by magna750; Feb 18, 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd probably cry if I was in your position TBH.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

When and where exactly did you buy the car..?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:36 PM

i can see the big dents on 5th picture. wow, how evo is that?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:39 PM

Purchased a couple weeks ago from a guy in Goshen, Indiana.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Man oh man looks like a project don't give up.

I'd get the factory service manual ASAP (if you don't have one). If not pm me. It'll have the entire wiring schematic for the car. Connectors and all. You'll need to junkyard or OEM the missing sensors and connectors. The impacts are yellow.

My guess is the reason those fuses and relays are missing is that theres a short and as soon as you plug a new one in its goona pop.

Find a local Evo owner and peak at his car. If I was local i'd give ya a hand
Old Feb 18, 2009, 03:14 PM
jn

The car was bought at a pretty low price, and the seller was pretty dishonest with everything, and did a good job of keeping these things hidden. What we did see at first looked like it could be a simple fix (considering the price). It was only until we could actually really start looking hard to see that something more was up. The car itself in its other aspects is quite clean, in good shape, and pulls hard.

The title was clean and clear.

Nevertheless, the car needs to be fixed... more or less the biggest issue is not knowing what goes where and what we need! (Why we someone to be really helpful and snap some pics of similar areas so we can compare)