Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car cranks, but won't start, .... adivce?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car cranks, but won't start, .... adivce?

Running on AEM Ems and weather is about -15c. I had a little trouble starting the car about a month ago so i took it to the tuner and got it touched up. Worked fine.

Wednesday i drove the car, and everything was fine. Yesturday morning i tried to start the car, and no go (won't start today either).

It cranks, but doesn't start. I thought maybe something with spark plugs, pulled each out, and seem fine. I thought maybe its the Spoolin kit, and replaced it w/ stock coil, still nothing.

Thought maybe its the fuel pump but i hear it prime when i turn the key in the on position... friend mentioned for me to check LICP, but everything looks good...

Whats next?

I made a log while startup and have aem tune on file if anyone can help.

-dj

Last edited by ezzey; Jan 7, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ezzey
Running on AEM Ems and weather is about -15c. I had a little trouble starting the car about a month ago so i took it to the tuner and got it touched up. Worked fine.

Wednesday i drove the car, and everything was fine. Yesturday morning i tried to start the car, and no go (won't start today either).

It cranks, but doesn't start. I thought maybe something with spark plugs, pulled each out, and seem fine. I thought maybe its the Spoolin kit, and replaced it w/ stock coil, still nothing.

Whats next?

I made a log while startup and have aem tune on file if anyone can help.

-dj
I had a similar problem that turned out to be a sensor used by the injectors. It burned out so the injectors weren't sending any fuel into the cylinders. My engine is completely stock, though, so your issuemay be related to your mods.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoBear
I had a similar problem that turned out to be a sensor used by the injectors. It burned out so the injectors weren't sending any fuel into the cylinders. My engine is completely stock, though, so your issuemay be related to your mods.
how did you figure it out? or who figured it out and how?
any info appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont think you can hear the fuel pump prime just by turning the key.

check the obvious
spark
fuel
compression

pull out a sparkplug wire out and hold it next to the valve cover while cranking. if you see spark arching out to the valve cover, then you have spark. move on to fuel

make sure you are getting fuel into the chamber. if you are, move to compression test
Old Jan 7, 2011, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

It's the AEM Period.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05VIII
i dont think you can hear the fuel pump prime just by turning the key.

check the obvious
spark
fuel
compression

pull out a sparkplug wire out and hold it next to the valve cover while cranking. if you see spark arching out to the valve cover, then you have spark. move on to fuel

make sure you are getting fuel into the chamber. if you are, move to compression test
I'll do the spark plug test. So far i just took them out and they looked good(replaced them under 1000miles).

I smell fuel, so i know im getting fuel, and compressoin SHOULD be good since cars been running fine, and only rebuilt about 5000miles ago.

Ill check the spark plugs again, and gonna log crank and cam while cranking the engine and see if it picks up a signal.

and yes, AEM seems to not like cold weather ;/ . Even thou it may be the AEM, there must be something i can do to get my car running. Just gotta figure out what, sigh.

I may go back to stock ecu in the "near" future.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

E85??
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

crank sensor? it happened to me, i was just cruising and mine went out!!!! crazy for 38k miles i know but who knows.... machines aren't perfect my pulley backed out and i've never taken anything or loosened anything on that side of the motor
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo9nuuub
crank sensor? it happened to me, i was just cruising and mine went out!!!! crazy for 38k miles i know but who knows.... machines aren't perfect my pulley backed out and i've never taken anything or loosened anything on that side of the motor
94 Octane

I just logged crank and cam sensor and they seem to both be working, aswell as "stat sync'd" goes on.

I'll drop in new spark plugs, see if that does anything. Should my fuel pump prime everytime i turn the key on?

sigh this blows
Old Jan 7, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

94 Octane

I just logged crank and cam sensor and they seem to both be working, aswell as "stat sync'd" goes on.

I'll drop in new spark plugs, see if that does anything. Should my fuel pump prime everytime i turn the key on?

sigh this blows
no, i dont think turning the key alone primes the fuel pump. i might be wrong on that though.

check for spark first before you buy new plugs. you might not need them. if you can narrow it down to spark or fuel, you can go from there and figure out what is causing it to not function properly.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:14 PM

Just my 2cents bro two days ago my car did the same cranked but didn't start I check everything no codes my fuel pump was not sending fuel. Check if you have fuel
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kakarot305
Just my 2cents bro two days ago my car did the same cranked but didn't start I check everything no codes my fuel pump was not sending fuel. Check if you have fuel
How you fix your issue? I gotfa check my fuse, not sure why i havent yet. Possibly fuse blown so fuel pumP isnt sending fuel afterm priming. Pretty sure i got spark but will swAp in my other new set of ngk's and gap them. Post results later
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:41 PM

How you fix your issue? I gotfa check my fuse, not sure why i havent yet. Possibly fuse blown so fuel pumP isnt sending fuel afterm priming. Pretty sure i got spark but will swAp in my other new set of ngk's and gap them. Post results later
Like someone above suggested, try pulling up a coil and hold it next to the valve cover while someone cranks the car. You should see it arc. If you don't see it arc then you have a problem with the ignition system somewhere. Also you may want to swap your crank position sensor out with a different one. My cam position sensor went out and it looked like it was working properly while logging it with ems but it ended up being bad.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

check your red 10A ignition coil fuse in the indoor fuse block. Mine keep blowing randomly and the car crank but just don't start.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 08:33 AM

Mine sort had the same problem a few weeks ago. If you have fuel (check by pulling the fuel line and crank the car it should start squirting fuel) and checked all your fuses (even the one under the steering wheel where your ignition coil fuse is located). If all that is good, then it could be your immobilizer.

Quick Reply: Car cranks, but won't start, .... adivce?