Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Help! Ticking at idle and acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Ticking at idle and acceleration

Hi, I just recently noticed my car ticks when the engine is running. The car is completely stock and never been modified. it has only 30k miles on it and has never been abused.

Whenever the engine is above 1k rpm the ticking is noticeable. As the rpms rise, the ticking gets faster and faster. This can happen while in neutral and reving, or while in gear and moving; the sound is the same.

I have searched many threads for my problem and suspect it could be either valves/ lifters or some sort of bearings. If anybody has an idea as to what I could do to torubleshoot what my problem is, or if anybody knows what it could be, i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

Its probably lifter tick. The old 4g63's did this terrible sometimes even though its not really a harmful thing. Mitsubishi updated the lifters and gave them a bigger oiling hole and for most 4g63s swapping out for the updated lifters solved the annoying tick sound. Others had to try different oil brands or weights to find what thier car liked. Yours came with updated lifters so it might be the oil your using or dirt sticking a lifter.

The other thing is sometimes you can hear injectors cycle off and on. They can make a ticking sound.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the help. I have been using mobil 1 10w30 since new, I guess ill try a different brand oil for my next oil change.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Dumb question, but where is your oil level? Lifters tend to tick really bad when you're extremely low on oil. And that oil is ok, its what the manufacturer recommends.