Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is boost cut/fuel cut(evo 5)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is boost cut/fuel cut(evo 5)

Hi guys, I have a question here, what is a boost/fuel cut?? How can I find out if my car got a boost cut?
When I drive on motorway on 5gear and hit full boost, it just feel like brake hard for half second, and I keep accelerate it just keep happend. Is this what you call boost/fuel cut? How can I get rid of it?

Last edited by eddy5201314; Aug 12, 2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its not good to be hitting full boost in 5th. Low rpm vs high load= rods coming out of the block.

Boost cut is the ecu's way of protecting the motor from over boosting and blowing up. It is usually spark and maf related. Once the maf load values reach and exceed the limit for a set amount of time boost cut activates killing the ignition to protect the motor. If you have raised the boost level without tuning the motor that is why your experiencing it. The only way to remove it is to get the car tuned and remove it, or have your tuner just remove it. I never recommend having it completely removed. Set your target boost, have the car tuned, RAISE the boost cut limit, and have fun. This way if there is ever an overboost situation you still have protection.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Boost cut feels like you just slammed on the brakes or hit a wall, which appears to be what you're describing.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to mention that be sure to check for codes too my maf sensor caused this kind of situation.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awdordie
Its not good to be hitting full boost in 5th. Low rpm vs high load= rods coming out of the block.

Boost cut is the ecu's way of protecting the motor from over boosting and blowing up. It is usually spark and maf related. Once the maf load values reach and exceed the limit for a set amount of time boost cut activates killing the ignition to protect the motor. If you have raised the boost level without tuning the motor that is why your experiencing it. The only way to remove it is to get the car tuned and remove it, or have your tuner just remove it. I never recommend having it completely removed. Set your target boost, have the car tuned, RAISE the boost cut limit, and have fun. This way if there is ever an overboost situation you still have protection.
thanks