Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

SRS cel reset SUCCESS!! EVO IX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SRS cel reset SUCCESS!! EVO IX

I have quite a few cars and just picked up an evo 9. The SRS cel would stay on after the car started. I have been thru a "ton" of threads here all of which ended w/no resolution other than taking the car to a dealership or body shop and hoping they won't hose you or buying a $3k snap on or other specialized code reader.

There are quite a number of handheld scanners that will read regular CEL's and erase them, but the ABS/SRS CEL's are different and require $$$$$$ scanners to reset on the Mitsus.

After going thru 3 different models (and 8 different purchases) of code scanners on amazon, I was able to use the below model that I purchased to reset the light after I fixed the actual fault:

Amazon.com: Autel MD802 MaxiDiag Elite Scan Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Autel MD802 MaxiDiag Elite Scan Tool: Automotive

So there. It is not as cheap as going to the dealership- but at least you have a nifty tool which you can use on just about any car w/obd1 or obd2 (works on my '97 Supra, my '09 GT-R, my 2010 Prius, and 2015 535d).

One word of warning here: There are about 20 different sellers on Amazon and Ebay that sell knockoffs of this scanner. You MUST get the genuine model from an authorized reseller. The seller "autelzone" on Amazon sent me a legit unit for $220.

I am not sure if they are an authorized reseller- but it works fine. The seller "livenbright/icostore" sent me a knockoff unit which I returned.

Last edited by itsmeek; Sep 2, 2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good info! I'll definitely be putting this on my Amazon wishlist for a later date.