Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

24,000 mile update

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
24,000 mile update

I Find that I treat the Forums like most people treat God. I only come when I have a problem. Please dont take that to mean that I dont really love my EVO. I LOVE IT. but..... at 24,000 I'm going on my thrid clutch. Mostly to do with the way I drive, but I believe that I'm not the only one at fault. But that issue has been beat like a stray dog over and over by many EVO drivers. End of that. On my way home from the dealer after an oil change the other day I had a misfire....Engine light.....TADA 3 cylinder EVO! ERRRRRRRR to the side of the road I went and on the cell phone I was. "Bring it back. We'll plug it in." A misfire prolly due to bad gas... The summer winter change in gas, prolly a one time thing. "Ok." 2 weeks later, again! "Bring it in. We'll plug it in." On the way to the dealer 5 or 6 more times. felt like the car was trying to run 8 AC units. Got to the dealership only to notice another EVO parked next to mine. "Oh thats ones rod knocken."....... Computer say Misfire misfire misfire misfire misfire. Dealer called Mitsu and this is what was explained to me. An issue with highspeed misfire is being addressed. Cruising around 75-85 miles per hour, please keep in mind I live in Michigan and the speed limit is 70 flow of traffic 75-85, and the car gets some bad info and the computer causes a misfire. They are currently working on a flash for the chip but it has to go through EPA regs so It could be anywhere from 30-90 days. Drive it till then with the engine light on and dont mind the misfire. Someday I'm sure I'll be able to go outside, jump in my EVO and not worry about being stuck on the side of the road next to a stinky cow farm. Until then "Drive it till the wheels fall of." Martin L. This was just to tell you what's been going on with my car. NO posts about how you are the best driver in the world and you are having 0 problems with your car. Different people, different styles. Have fun, enjoy the summer, rock some SRT's. I'll be there in a bit to join U.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Search the turbo/drivetrain forum for "p0300" and you'll find all the info about this problem.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

I have 30000 miles on the stock clutch
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah but Todd you drive like a granny.

Just kidding...hey 30k on the stock is damn good. I'm at 9k and no probs thus far.

Jeb
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Re: 24,000 mile update

An issue with highspeed misfire is being addressed. Cruising around 75-85 miles per hour, please keep in mind I live in Michigan and the speed limit is 70 flow of traffic 75-85, and the car gets some bad info and the computer causes a misfire. They are currently working on a flash for the chip but it has to go through EPA regs so It could be anywhere from 30-90 days.
Ok, so would a flash address this at all? Is it just one setting somewhere in the computer that's causing the problem?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would a flash overwrite an aftermarket flash??
Old Apr 26, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by boomn29
Would a flash overwrite an aftermarket flash??
I suspect yes (but i'll defer to the tuners).

My guess is that the major reflash tuners will get their hands on the misfire code fix shortly after it is released by . Then, they will add the misfire fix to their own reflashes and reissue them to customers as needed (as only some people seem to be affected).
Old Apr 26, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

The Mitsu flash will completely overwrite whatever aftermarket flash you have.

If you want to get your ecu flashed for more hp after the Mitsu flash is done, you will need to make sure that your tuner is utilizing the newly released program as the basis for the new tune.

ez, I am not sure it will be as easy as copying and pasting the new code into the old. To do that, you would need to know every place that Mitsu made changes. And you would only be able to see the changes by eyeballing the code....which isn't set up for easy reading! I bet the tuners will just begin using the new code as the basis for any tuning/reflashes they do.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Cool. thanks for the p0300 thing cleared up my thoughts on just getting a flash elsewhere and not waiting for mitsu to dink me around. 30,000 miles good for you. I put 197,000 on my stock 3000 GT clutch b4 i changed it. Different cars, different drivers, different styles. Thats about all that can be said in this post. See ya!
Old Apr 26, 2004, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

At the request of the threads originator, this thread has been closed.

SC~