Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Custom Intercooler Screen

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Custom Intercooler Screen

I improvised this custom intercooler grill for my long roadtrip I had recently, but since love bug season is still in effect (at least in Houston), I'm gonna make more to use. They're easy to make, install, and dispose of, and best of all, they'll protect your intercooler from ALL bug/rock dents. Only about 5% of bug guts will seep through, but that's only noticeable if you take very long road trips in the night, when most bugs attack your car. I had no heating or mechanical issues with the screen on; a lot of air will still pass through.

SUPPLIES
I tried making this 'how to' as easy and practical as possible, but there's only one catch. You have to buy a $13 roll of 7ft window screen, since they come in no smaller sizes (I went with the highest quality kind at Home Depot). You should be able to make about 11-12 screens with a whole roll. The screen is made of polyester and is very pliable, so it will not scratch your bumper when installing it, nor will it rust. Note the strength of the screen in the pic below .

The only other thing you'll need is a pair of grocery ties, which you can get at any grocery store for free. This will hold the upper corners of the grill to your intercooler cage better. It's not necessary, but it's worth putting on for extra measures. I shaved the sides of the ties so they got skinnier.

DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO CUT THE SCREEN
1. cut a rectangular piece of screen the size of 30" X 7"

2. measure a 2" triangle (length of sides, not the hypotenuse) off the upper corners and cut it off

3. mark some dots from the measurements below and cut that rounded corner off from the bottom of the screen on both sides. It's not important that the measurements are that precise, since you're going to tuck the bottom of the screen behind your bumper.

4. the intercooler cage on your car is held on by two bolts at the bottom, so you'll have to cut 2 square pieces off to fit over it. measurements are below:

5. all you have to do now is fit the screen over the intercooler. tuck the slack of the screen behind the bumper on the bottom only. you won't be able to tuck it on top. it's easiest to start in the middle, where the bolts are. it should fit snugly and somewhat easily. if you get caught on the cage somewhere, just slide it back and forth and it should slide in.

6. if you want to hold down the screen even better, use the grocery ties and wrap/twist it on the cage first, and then wrap it through the threads of the screen.

There you have it. Total protection for your intercooler. No more having to meticulously bend out the fins or attempt to powerwash the intercooler without damaging it.

Last edited by Thoe99; Jun 27, 2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is awesome. Nice writeup! I will be using this for my long move to vegas. Thanks man!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the detailed instructions.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Wow! Awesome post. Great detailed instructions and photos. I will be doing this same screen project on my car very soon.

The measurement photos are going to be VERY helpful.

Thanks!

Last edited by Lightsped; Sep 19, 2003 at 11:53 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
airflow anyone...?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 12:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I was just thinking that.. Wouldn't the screen restrict airflow.. No matter how permeable the surface is, you've pretty much increased the surface area of the "Mesh" several dozen times which would restrict airflow a bit.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it does restrict airflow, but not to a near dangerous amount at all. The intercooler is still getting plenty of airflow to it. Like I said, I haven't noticed anything wrong with the way the car performs and/or functions. If I had a boost controller, this may be something I'd watch out for, but I am stock. Here's a closeup pic of what the screen looks like:

Here's the original thread that people debated with:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=35234

To me, I'd rather put this screen on to prevent denting up of the fins. Check out this huge dragonfly that would have put a hole thru my intercooler when I was flying at 90mph on the interstate:
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...ZmQzMXk1NDE%3D
Old Sep 21, 2003, 02:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I use screen just like that for the openings on RC Car bodies to allow airflow to pass through the grille and not get crud into the chassis.. Works well, I started playing with thermocouples and barometric sensors made by Delphi, I am planning on installing a few in different places on my car (Intake tract before and after the intercooler, etc..) That would be the only way to test if its affected efficiency..

You are right however.. The intercooler is only as effective as the amount of heat that it can dissipate to the air..

I have mixed feelings on this mod as its really just for appearance.. However since I get bugs and pine needles all over my intercooler from driving, I can see its merit as a way of protecting it from debris and small stones..
Old Sep 21, 2003, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it is purely for protecting your cosmetics. But the intercooler is by no means a cheap device. Let us know how your scientific tests turn out.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

awsome info

I just got my evo yesterday and came to look for exactly what you show. I'm in Lafayette so I get the "love bugs" too. No I just need a nice cruise controll fix and I'll be set...

Thanks for the mod.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Are the upper corners of your factory FMIC center screen bent inwards? Where you show the twist ties being tied. Or are all Evos like that? I am too lazy to go check mine at this moment.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

yea they are..mine is too.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:02 PM
In Timeout

Will it keep the dogs off of it like in the pic?
Old Sep 29, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Ryanmcd2
Will it keep the dogs off of it like in the pic?
Of course! The picture says so.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Lightsped
Are the upper corners of your factory FMIC center screen bent inwards? Where you show the twist ties being tied. Or are all Evos like that? I am too lazy to go check mine at this moment.
I've been using my screen without the ties for a few weeks now, and ran into no problems with it falling off. It doesn't even slide around, since my measurement are so precise and the fit is so snug. You really don't need the ties, unless you're driving through a hurricane.

Quick Reply: Custom Intercooler Screen