Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Putting a screen over the intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2003, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Putting a screen over the intercooler

Next week, I'm off on my 2000+ mile roadtrip, so I'm thinking about putting a window screen over the intercooler so bugs don't smack it at 90mph. From the looks of it, I'll probably estimate it restricts no more than 25% of the airflow. Do you think that's enough to cause heating problems or detonation? Here's a pic of it:
Attached Thumbnails Putting a screen over the intercooler-screen.jpg  

Last edited by Thoe99; Aug 16, 2003 at 12:59 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the car had screens stock?
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

it might take away more than 25%, but if you havent upped your boost levels (not stock) then you should be ok
Old Aug 16, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JRock
I thought the car had screens stock?
It does have a screen, stock, but the holes are rather large and I've had some bugs go past it and dent up a few fins on the intercooler.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

I don't predict any problems cruising down the highway.

I have been wanting to install a screen too. Please post pics/directions when you complete your install.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Lightsped
I don't predict any problems cruising down the highway.

I have been wanting to install a screen too. Please post pics/directions when you complete your install.
Will do
Old Aug 16, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

What did you use as your screening? I hear GutterGuard from HomeDepot works nice for a tight screen.

Seriously, I've seen it used and if installed nicely can look very good.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

How is the screen attached to the stock grille? Is it placed in front of the grille, or behind the grille?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

In front. You don't have to remove the bumper at all. It just slides behind the bumper, but in front of the grill. I made it about 3/4" bigger slack on the bottom, so it slid under the bumper. There were two screws that held the stock grill on the bumper of the car, so you had to cut around that. I then trimmed 6 grocery ties to tie it the screen on the grill. 2 will hold it really well, I just went overboard with 6.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

A close up pic of the attachments/locations would be great. This bug/dented IC fin issue is what is keeping my car off the highways. Having a screen in front of the IC will help out alot on highway trips.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by JRock
What did you use as your screening? I hear GutterGuard from HomeDepot works nice for a tight screen.

Seriously, I've seen it used and if installed nicely can look very good.
Jrock- I did a brief work stint at HD recently as a millwork guy, and the gutter guard you are talking about was the only thing I could find that seemed well-suited for covering the FMIC grille opening. I know a few people that have used it successfully on import grills.

Its actually a plastic type material and is bigger than regular bug screen, but smaller than the stock screen. The only reason I didn't pick some up was because it comes in rolls that aren't real wide and from what I could see might not be big enough to fit the lower grill opening with one cut-to-fit piece. Not sure if you could use two pieces and get it to look ok or not?

It is the perfect gauge screen though, and appears to be very flexible which should make installing a snap. Oh yeah....pretty cheap per roll if I remember rightly less than $15 a roll.

N10S
Old Aug 28, 2003, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Hey, when a member on this board (xtnct) placed a "bug-screen" (very similar to the above) in front of his intercooler you guys ragged on him for interrupting flow to his intercooler. I think the screen is a good idea...looks good! I pm'ed xtnct and he has had no trouble.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Dont be beating on it then....putting a screen like that SEVERLEY inhibits cooling of the intercooler. There was actually an article on it...NOW ONLY IF I COULD FIND IT
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:38 AM

you will be fine putting a screen on the front. the intercooler has spray to cool it down and it can be manually turned on. there will be no worrys.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

If the screen mesh inhibits airflow and restrictis cooling as much as some of you theorize, why did I make 5hp more (repeatedly) than another EVO without the screen mesh on a humid 95 degree day?

Oh wait, it must be my black painted intercooler that decreases the IC cooling efficiency even further!

But wait, there is more. My temps have not changed from stock at all. It must be magic!

Hey, I know, my car must be a ringer magic mobile. I can throw in mods that are supposed to decrease cooling efficiency and rob power, yet I still make the same amount as before and actually more than the control vehicle. WOW, how fantastic for me! Hooray!

Nah, it can't be magic.... Oh I know. I don't know what I'm doing and have no idea how to use the testing tools that I have had for a few years. No, that can't be true. I have too many witnesses that have confirmed that I acutally do use the testing tools properly.

Ok, next idea: My testing tools are inconsistent and the data from them can be regarded as being false. Kind of hard to prove that one now as previous postings of the dyno graphs have been well within the accepted ranges. Darn, what could it be?

This is it then: I must be incorrectly calibrating and making up the data so that I can fool all of you guys to sell more of my products. Oh wait, I'm not selling anything... scratch that one off the list too then.

Ok, I know. I just want all you EVO owners out there to do the "go slow" mods, then I'll take my mesh off and be the fastest EVO out there. YEAH, YEAH, THAT MUST BE IT!!!

I think my next mod will be the open cone air filter so that I can suck in all that hot engine bay heat, heat it up some more in the turbo and then run it though my inefficient intercooler.

Quick Reply: Putting a screen over the intercooler