Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

air condition temp knob

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air condition temp knob

Ok, I'm starting to get frustrated and more turned towards spending the extra money to ge the X..Anyway, my Evo 8 air conditioning temperature knob broke on me this morning and I'm really confused about how to replace it without having dealership do it and pay 15318646 dollars.. Basically I was turning it and for some reason my temperature knob is alot harder to turn then the others..I turned it to far and BAM! the connector from the knob to the temperature snapped on the tip..Does anybody have suggestions on how to fix or get replacement part for just that connector..
THanks
Evoracing
sorry for the long paragraph
Old Apr 7, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like someone had the knob off and over tightened the screw behind it. You should be able to find the ac unit at very least if the white piece behind the knob is broken.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Do you think i'll need the whole unit? I haven't checked to see if the part can be removed or not so i don't know yet...However if so. do you have any suggestions on where to get that unit?

Originally Posted by hellcat
Sounds like someone had the knob off and over tightened the screw behind it. You should be able to find the ac unit at very least if the white piece behind the knob is broken.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:50 PM
Account Disabled

I got one for sale. lol
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
exact same thing happened to me. I just bought a whole HVAC unit from ebay for 75 with shipping. good luck!
Old Apr 8, 2008, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Sky_Evo X.....can you IM me with the price?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:17 AM

I'm having the same problem...my temp knob is super stiff. Is there anyway to loosen it up? Is this normal? Is there a fix for it? I've never been in a car that was this hard to move. I'm affraid I'm going to break mine too.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Same Issue

This just happened to me the other day as well and I was surprised to see this thread with other people having the exact same problem. Looks like I am going to have to replace the whole HVAC on mine because the white piece behind the knob is broken. I bought the car used and it looks like the unit has been out before for a turbo timer install so perhaps the previous owner over tightened some screws putting it back together?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

edit:: double post. nvm.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am going through this right now. I had to buy a whole new unit. I am in the middle or trying to fix the culprit right now. I bought the entire TSB kit from Mitsubishiparts.net but supposedly not all of it is needed. I'm installing a cabin filter too while I am at it sicne I have an 03. Retarded, but I am having a hard time removing the glovebox! I must be an idiot.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 01:33 PM

that happend to me when i put my head unit in and now it either has to stay hot or stay cold but their is a knob under your dash on the diver side to the right and can turn it to the right or left the dealer was going to charge me 340 to fix it i passed on that and just drive with the windows down
Old Apr 27, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

mines broke too. found out that theres a leaver underneath the drivers side that a cables connected to the broken knob. now i use that to adjust cause still broken.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LetsGo82nd
Looks like I am going to have to replace the whole HVAC on mine because the white piece behind the knob is broken.
Originally Posted by 03evo4g63
exact same thing happened to me. I just bought a whole HVAC unit from ebay for 75 with shipping. good luck!
Would a simple HVAC search on Ebay work? I found this. Unfortunately it's not in stock.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/oem/w...art=Thermostat
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anyone got any pics of this lever under the dash? I've had issues with mine off and on, but ever since they did the recall service to the HVAC unit it's been harder to turn from hot to cold, and now it's kind of stuck about halfway through hot not letting me really get any heat....it'll let me do the ac, but no heat :-/

I'm going to take a look at it tonight...is this normally a "behind the HVAC console" issue, or a problem with the lever under the dash? It feels like something is just operating stiff or sticking....maybe a little wd40 somewhere?
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TIBOevo
mines broke too. found out that theres a leaver underneath the drivers side that a cables connected to the broken knob. now i use that to adjust cause still broken.
got a pic of this? is it on other lancer models, too?

Quick Reply: air condition temp knob