Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Odyssey PC925 install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:08 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Odyssey PC925 install

The PC925 is another mini-battery option, and as the name suggests, it has more cranking and reserve capacity than the 680 mini-battery options. I've been wanting a short route UICP for a while, but didn't like the 680 mini-battery because I have a car alarm that sucks a lot of amps. I'm hoping the 925 will have enough reserve capacity to last as much as 7 days with the car off.

Anyhow, I've only got one picture to show thus far, but the install is pretty simple. This install is written with the intent of making room for a short-route UICP.

**Note: I have my doubts that this battery will work with the ETS short route UICP because of how close the intercooler piping comes to a PC680 battery setup.

Install steps:

1) Remove factory battery.

2) If you're planning to do a short route UICP, cut down the tray, and then reinstall the tray.

3) Disconnect the wiring looms from the metal brace that was attached to the battery tray. Removing the brace frees up the looms to make it easier to position the positive terminal on the battery. Use a screw driver to pry the tabs to allow the looms to slide off the brace.

4) The battery ground cable isn't long enough to reach the negative terminal of the PC925. I didn't see any obvious way to relocate the ground cable while still keeping it attached to the body, so I snipped the cable right where it attaches to the body and built a new ground with multiple ground locations. I used 8 gauge power cable, ring terminals, and a battery terminal from my local car stereo store. I think it added up to $55 in parts. Can probably get everything for $40 online.

5) Cut the battery hold-down brace slightly to keep it from being too close to the positive terminal.

6) Install the 925.

7) After I got the 925 installed, I ziptied the two large wire looms together to help support each other.

The PC925 is more expensive than the 680 battery, and a new ground cable is needed, but being able to use the stock tray saves some money. Overall, I'd say its about the same cost as a 680 option when using a brand name 680 batttery. The advantage is hopefully that the 925 going to last longer than the 680 option. If not, I suppose, I'll be moving onto a Miata battery...

Not the best install picture. I'll try to get some better pictures today.
Attached Thumbnails Odyssey PC925 install-20130120_200731.jpg  

Last edited by mrfred; Jan 21, 2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been holding off on installing my mini battery for the same reasons. From the pic, it looks like you would have more room to slide it back with a different mount. would that give you a bit more room or is it just a illusion from the pic?

Looks great tho, I like it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Without additional trimming, it can slide over another 0.5-0.75". Trimming those inside corners of the tray would allow ~1.5", but if moved that far, the battery would no longer be evenly balanced in the hold-down.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

What about rotating it 180 so the terminals are on the other side. Seems like it would give it more room for the piping. I have a PC 680 and it sucks. I just leave it on a trickle charger. I've been thinking about trying the 925 so i can't wait to hear about it.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by teribble
What about rotating it 180 so the terminals are on the other side. Seems like it would give it more room for the piping. I have a PC 680 and it sucks. I just leave it on a trickle charger. I've been thinking about trying the 925 so i can't wait to hear about it.
I think any other orientation would put the positive post too far from the harness clamp or put the battery in a less than optimum position.

Last edited by mrfred; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Thinking about it a little more... using the "L" version (pos and neg posts reversed) with the posts facing towards the wheel-well might allow the factory pos and neg clamps to both reach their respective posts.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah you might need to extend the wires a little. I have them reversed on my 680 and the wiring is tight. I just wouldn't like my uicp ring by the power clamps. I think you'll be hitting them with the short route or really close.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by teribble
Yeah you might need to extend the wires a little. I have them reversed on my 680 and the wiring is tight. I just wouldn't like my uicp ring by the power clamps. I think you'll be hitting them with the short route or really close.
Yeah, its going to be close. I do have the red cap on the positive terminal now, and I can move the battery over at least another 1/2".
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its funny this topic came up because recently i was working on a friends build and i wanted to use a bigger little battery...I ended up with the 925 but i put together a tray to give me extra room for charge piping....the way i did it i was also able to use the stock battery cables with zero modification of them..

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

That looks GREAT! Also looks like its about 3 or 4 inches back.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 386 Likes on 331 Posts
Looks good. Trickle charger or weekly warm up works for me
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:40 AM
Evolving Member

Just put the darn battery in the trunk. I know that's what I am going to have to do. Then you can buy my stock route pipes and just call it a day.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by droppinbottom
Just put the darn battery in the trunk. I know that's what I am going to have to do. Then you can buy my stock route pipes and just call it a day.
My Evo hasn't quite reached the tinker toy status of yours. Had a load of groceries in the trunk today. And I've got the Muse UICP set already (but not installed). You're gonna have to pawn your stock route UICP on EvoM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Well darn. I had my hopes all up. You should install facebook on that tablet you carry in your pocket so I can message you while I am at work.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:03 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by droppinbottom
Well darn. I had my hopes all up. You should install facebook on that tablet you carry in your pocket so I can message you while I am at work.

now installed.

Quick Reply: Odyssey PC925 install