Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Cost of painting a trunk and wing?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of painting a trunk and wing?

So I have a carbon fiber trunk on my evo 8, and a local wants to trade me for his BBY trunk and spoiler plus $150 on his end. I was just wondering if anybody knows about how much it costs to get a trunk and spoiler sprayed Tarmac Black because I cant get ahold of my paint guy for a while. Any input is appreciated! Thanks!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

To do it nicely and matching/blending probably around $300-500. I was quoted $150 for just the wing(the sides). And thats small without blending
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:49 PM

i work for a body shop in nor-cal, we would charge ya about $550 for both
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:58 PM

Yeah I thought $150 on top seemed a little low.. Because CF trunks aren't cheap by any means lol. I'm guessing itd be around 300 for both if I can get them done by my paint guy, he usually gives me a pretty good hookup. I was gonna see if I could convince this kid to get them painted first, but then again I wont be guaranteed matching/quality.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:00 PM

theres many variances of each color code. i would highly recomend having the painter do spray outs to ensure the face and side tone are proper. some colors are more critical than others. tarmac black has some beautiful flake in it, that is easy to jack up and throw off the tint with.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by SavageEvo8
theres many variances of each color code. i would highly recomend having the painter do spray outs to ensure the face and side tone are proper. some colors are more critical than others. tarmac black has some beautiful flake in it, that is easy to jack up and throw off the tint with.
Yeah, the flake in the TB is one of the main reasons why I chose it. But thanks for the advice! Im probably gonna wait til I can get ahold of my paint guy and see if i can get the kid to up the cash to cover costs.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, definitely get the coorect variance of the tarmac black paint code. Thats a big rookie painter mistake, they get your code, and dont bother with variances. So while the color might look close, the flake and metallic can be off. Shades and tones can be off in different variances as well.

If I were to do it(no where to paint now that its cold) Id do a trunk and wing for about $400
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:57 PM

Exactly! I was actually looking at a post not too long ago where a guy had his TB 8 rear ended and when it went in for paint, the trunk, rear bumper, and part of the quarters looked almost grey bc of how dense the flakes/pearls were.