Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

17x9 Enkei RPF1 +35, pics included.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17x9 Enkei RPF1 +35, pics included.

****WARNING: Story of an A-Stock autoxer...Scroll to the bottom if you just want to see the pics

I began racing when I purchased the car, and I have become a much better driver in this time...After the stock Advans had run out of life, I decided to try out different, inexpensive street tires...Recommendations from this forum and fellow auto-xers led me to purchase Falken Azenis in 255/40/17...Many of the nay-sayers will tell you that this looks bulbous and will rub, but I can guarantee no rubbing (with a proper alignment) and you can judge for yourself how bulbous they look...I cannot honestly evaluate how much loss in grip between the setup, because my skill was not to the point it is now (also the car was unaligned when I started)...I have managed to pull out fastest times in my class for SCCA and also a fastest time of the day at a local "test and tune" auto-x day...However, there are many drivers outside my regions who own fast, A-stock vehicles like S2000s and Evolutions.

I know staying in stock class is usually a route less-taken, but I believe it is the only true way to become a better driver and learn how to use the platform to the fullest (and to get the most out of modification when the time comes to upgrade)...Although my times are excellent for street tires, everyone else in my class runs r-compounds...In talking to those who run r-compounds, they report drops of a full 2-3 seconds on a typical auto-x course...If what they say is true, this should put me at the top of my class and even closer to FTD...I didn't plan on purchasing r-compounds for another 4 months or so, but an offer came up that I couldn't refuse...My friend Patrick, who owns a LS6-powered FD RX7, wants to co-drive my car...In exchange, he will be providing new Victoracer r-compounds (255/40/17)...He has co-driven with me on numerous occasions previously and has truly been a mentor to me...Furthermore, Patrick can teach me the new unfamiliar territory of r-compounds...

But, I was faced with a dilemma: I don't own an alternate set of wheels!!...To run in a stock class you need to use a stock-sized wheel...I wasn't about to buy a stock-sized wheel, knowing that I will be upgrading in a few months...So, I came up with a simple solution...Knowing that I will want to install coilovers and run wider wheels eventually, I decided to purchase the wider wheels now to use for daily driving...This compromise works well, because I can mount the r-compounds on the stock wheels and remain in stock class...Also, the street tires I purchased will fit perfectly on a wider wheel (255/40/17)...Although unplanned, I am thankful that I went with the 255/40/17 on the stock wheel (I don't believe that a 235 would fit very well on a wider wheel)...

So, this left me with a few options...I want something affordable and descent looking (keep in mind I will be using these as my daily wheels for the next year or so)...I am sold on a 17x9" size, because I think that the 245 would be too stretched on a 17x9.5" (limits of running STU)...For me, there were two obvious choices: the Enkei RPF1 and the 5Zigen FN01RC...I view this as the Evo vs. STi battle of the racing wheel options, in that both have strong characteristics for similar cost...5Zigen offers a direct bolt-on without spacers and is offered in four different colors/trims...Although the Enkei weighs less, they are far from a direct bolt-on as the spoke design is difficult to clear front brakes...While both are good choices, I decided to buy the Enkeis...Personally, I think the 5Zigens are ***-ugly and I would rather pay the extra money for something that looks better than have to ride on rims that I don't like...

Although most run the 17x9.5 size, the fitment should remain the same...However, in the +35 offset the fitment is difficult...To clear the front Brembos, you need to run at least an 18mm spacer...A 20mm is truly preferred, but good luck finding one...Project Kics and H&R are two of the only reputable spacer suppliers that come with built-in studs and hub-rings...H&R has discontinued this size from the line and Project Kics are back-ordered across the country...So, I decided to contact Kyle from Hot Lap Motorsports (KingKyle) to get a deal on the wheels and I snatched up the last set along with some 25mm H&R spacers (muahahaha!!)...Kyle is a pleasure to work with and returns my calls within 10 minutes with an answer or alternative...For a simpler solution you can get the +22 fitment of 17x9 JDM-spec Enkei RPF1...I heavily considered taking this route, but unfortunately this would take a much longer time.

As you can see from the pictures below, the fitment is very tight...I took some corners quickly, have entered a ton of parking lots at strange angles, full-locked turns, mashed the brakes, etc (no fender rubbing!!!!!)...I am not sure about when the vehicle is lowered though...H&R makes a high quality product, after installing their spacers I doubt I would be able to recommend any other brand...Kyle from Hot Lap Motorsports runs the 9.5" wheel with this same spacer and rubs slightly using 275 Hoosiers (notoriously larger than the list size)...Therefore, I was pretty confident this setup would not rub with my measly 255/40/17...Comparison of stock and new setup:

So, "Yayyy you got wheels, why do you feel the need to post?"
I wanted to give an affordable alternative to people who don't want to ride on 5Zigens...I have seen a few posts of people who run the 17x9.5 RPF1, but never in my size, especially not with my large spacer...The stance of the car is pretty ridiculous, I mean just look at the comparison shot...Also, I wanted to share a path for those who plan to start autoxing: First, go to http://www.scca.org and get involved!!...Auto-x is not that demanding on a car and you can get out there in any type of vehicle (if you own an Evolution, even better)...The stock tires are really short-lived, so enjoy them while you can...When it is time to upgrade, a 255/40 should be considered, and if you're crazy like me you can make it rain on street tires...Running track wheels daily allows me to utilize wheels I already have and plan for the future...Move up to r-compounds only after you reach limits on street tires, then once you reach limits you can install some mods and move to a more challenging class...R-compounds are a whole new territory and getting fast on stock suspension will only help when I move to STU...Alright guys, enjoy the pics:

Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

those wheel look small
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:06 AM

yea wheels looks a little small but nice stance.!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

Your car sits high in the front and lower in the back, mine does the same thing.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:53 AM
Account Disabled

they look great!

-Kyle
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by warp9
Your car sits high in the front and lower in the back, mine does the same thing.
All Evos do, it's called rake and it's done on purpose
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Holy ****, looks exactly like my own car Thought my pics were stolen for a sec. lol

My ride height is alot lower though...gotta love that aggressive front trak with 20mm spacer
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I really like those wheels, you can't beat them for the $ being as light as they are. I was going to get a set for my car at the beginning of the season, but I came across a set of brand new IX wheels and tires I couldn't pass up.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by is300
those wheel look small
Yeah, they really look like 16"s...I think it is because the spokes do not extend to the lip...Not that I am in it for looks, but I just wanted something different than the 5Zigens...Kyle offered a great price on the set, and fitment is pretty good...The car has a pretty wide stance now and should work well with future suspension modification...I think with some more negative camber in the front and some fender rolling, I can get away with using this size once the car is lowered...Either way, I'm still impressed with how light these wheels are...Since purchasing, I have found a few other wheels in this size that would clear the front brakes without spacers...If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me or KingKyle...These wheels work really well and are an affordable alternative to running 5Zigens...Also, Kyle offers a ton of different Enkei wheels, please contact him for great pricing and ultra fast shipping (shameless plug, but I am truly impressed as a customer the lengths that this vendor extends his service)...
Old Jul 6, 2007, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Looks good! Although the fronts look like they're popping out of the fender a bit.

And the reason our fronts are higher than the rears is to help with our 60/40 weight distribution. And I agree with you when you say the 5zigen fn01rc's are ugly.... as sin.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

nice write up. i have the 9.5s witha kics 20mm spacer up front so we have a very similar stance. car looks good too
Old Jul 7, 2007, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
nice write up. i have the 9.5s witha kics 20mm spacer up front so we have a very similar stance. car looks good too
Appreciate the compliments...I was actually looking for the Project Kics spacer, but at the time it was back-ordered through Mackin, according to vendors for 6 months before my inquiry...Either way, when you go with a spacer this large hub-centric and built-in studded spacers should only be considered...Are you running a ton of negative camber in the front?
Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

^^off hand i cant remember how much. i want to say -1.3 or 4... when i get back to philly i can check my the printout from my last alignment. nothing too crazy. im also on 255.40.17s but i run advan neovas.

about the spacers, i ordered mine through evasive in january and got them late march or early april. really nice looking peices.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
^^off hand i cant remember how much. i want to say -1.3 or 4... when i get back to philly i can check my the printout from my last alignment. nothing too crazy. im also on 255.40.17s but i run advan neovas.

about the spacers, i ordered mine through evasive in january and got them late march or early april. really nice looking peices.
Awesome, that leaves me confident that I shouldn't rub...That camber isn't that aggressive at all, I have managed to pull out more on the stock eccentric bolts...Is your car lowered at all?
Old Jul 7, 2007, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XK120
All Evos do, it's called rake and it's done on purpose
why is this done on purpose?

Quick Reply: 17x9 Enkei RPF1 +35, pics included.