Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Will my shocks handle Swift sport springs?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will my shocks handle Swift sport springs?

I bought an evo with stock Evo9 shocks and it has these springs on em.

Can my shocks handle these?

If not with which set-up should i go with? because i want the car to look nice and have good performance and of course my #1 is reliability.

*The picture shows MR shocks... i have STOCK evo9 gsr shocks*

Springs.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Will my shocks handle Swift sport springs?-springs.jpg  

Last edited by Stockie; Dec 8, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same setup. You'll be fine. Swift Sports on IX SE stock shocks. Blisteins MR's are prefered but you're not going to ruin them far as I know. Mine drives fine.

Swift's are progressive so they should ride close to stock on soft bumps but stiffin up the more they are compressed. They lower the car about an inch. More in front than back.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnDoe1984
I have the same setup. You'll be fine. Swift Sports on IX SE stock shocks. Blisteins MR's are prefered but you're not going to ruin them far as I know. Mine drives fine.

Swift's are progressive so they should ride close to stock on soft bumps but stiffin up the more they are compressed. They lower the car about an inch. More in front than back.

Thanks a lot!

anyone else have any comments?
Old Dec 8, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

People have had really good results in autocross on evo's with nothing more than swift springs and aftermarket sway bars. It seems to be a good setup.

There's roll center and a bump steer kits that are supposed to help with lowered evos made by whiteline. I'd think about picking them up. They're on my list.

http://www.maperformance.com/whiteli...t-kit-evo.html

http://www.maperformance.com/whiteli...ction-kit.html

If you do the whiteline ball joints make sure you leave the factory heat shields in place. People have had issues with the boots on the ball joints aging badly after a few years from the heat coming off the front disks. I think that whiteline actually changed the rubber compound they were using for the boots recently because of the issue. I couldn't be sure. I might try to fab some kind of heat shield for them when I do it.

Last edited by JohnDoe1984; Dec 8, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You have made a wise investment. Great spring.

Search my screen name for all my reviews on the Swift line up (I am the one that has done a ton on them for racing).
Old Dec 8, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
You have made a wise investment. Great spring.

Search my screen name for all my reviews on the Swift line up (I am the one that has done a ton on them for racing).
This is great news.

But i was wondering if the stock gsr stocks can handle this spring well, for a Daily Driver... maybe 2-3 events per YEAR...
Old Dec 8, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

No problems daily driving. I DD mine. That's what these springs are made for, especially the sports that you have. That's why they're progressive. They're made to ride stock like until you push them. They're also made to give that little bit of drop that makes the evo look so much more sexy. I hate the stock ride height. Someone with more miles on lowered springs could chime in but I don't think they effect the life of the stock strut much.

I like the stiff feel of the evo it hits bumps with confidence, not like some cars that want to bounce all over the road.

When you're done daily driving that's when It's time for coil overs.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Struts do not care where they stroke from. They do care if they bottom out, Swifts will not cause that issue. Stock GSR struts will handle those fine
Old Dec 8, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

No problems daily driving. I DD mine. That's what these springs are made for, especially the sports that you have. That's why they're progressive. They're made to ride stock like until you push them. They're also made to give that little bit of drop that makes the evo look so much more sexy. I hate the stock ride height. Someone with more miles on lowered springs could chime in but I don't think they effect the life of the stock strut much.

I like the stiff feel of the evo it hits bumps with confidence, not like some cars that want to bounce all over the road.

When you're done daily driving that's when It's time for coil overs.

Ohh this is great thank you.

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Struts do not care where they stroke from. They do care if they bottom out, Swifts will not cause that issue. Stock GSR struts will handle those fine
I am so happy right now

When do you guys usually need the struts to be replaced? 50-60k miles?
Old Dec 9, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

I just noticed that SmikeEvo is a swift spring sponsored... can anyone else confirm that these springs are good. because if i was sponsored by swift or whiteline, i'd tell every public thread that our product is da bomb. NOT trying to say thats what your doing SmikeEvo
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

The reason he is sponsored by them is because he kicked so much *** with their springs and sway bars. People in last place don't get sponsored.

They don't give me any money and I like them. They really are one of the better aftermarket springs for the evo I assure you. Swift makes nice stuff.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

The reason he is sponsored by them is because he kicked so much *** with their springs and sway bars. People in last place don't get sponsored.

They don't give me any money and I like them. They really are one of the better aftermarket springs for the evo I assure you. Swift makes nice stuff.
I wasnt trying to be rude... :/

Thanks for the response
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

I don't get money either. I was running these BEFORE I was sponsored by them. And like JohnDoe said, you don't get noticed in last place.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stockie
I wasnt trying to be rude... :/
Thanks again, didnt mean any disrespect.

Im glad the car has quality springs