Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Best spring/shock combo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best spring/shock combo

After seeing the prices for coilovers set ups and realizing I'm too lazy to change my ride height I think I wanna go with a spring and shock set up and was looking for some help on which ones to buy based on your guys' stories so please help me out a lil bit with what u have what you would recommend and prices for a spring and shock combo thanks
Old Oct 19, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your question is pretty vague, but if your just daily driving and you have the oem kyb, then the bilsteins are better for a dd. If your on stock struts/springs and you actually go to autox frequently, then just get a set of Robispec springs and stick with that until you have outdriven their capabilities.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 07:34 PM

I'm looking to lower it and put wider rims on it, sorry I'm looking for the best lowering spring for a dd
Old Oct 23, 2013, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Robispec, Swift, or GTWorx. Each have their own strengths.

I like the lack of increased rake on Robispec. Others don't like them for that reason. Swifts drop the nose the most - increased rake. GTWorx have the least drop.

Bilstein preferred over KYB if you have the choice.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 08:31 PM

i have just Swift and like alleg said it is def lower in the front but the overall ride isnt so bad IMO
Old Oct 23, 2013, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
I have the Bilstein HD strut with the Swift Spec R on my Evo IX. I love this setup on the street. Can't go wrong with this setup as it's been done time and time again.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Manns_evo
I'm looking to lower it and put wider rims on it, sorry I'm looking for the best lowering spring for a dd
What rim and tire size do you want to run?!
Old Oct 23, 2013, 11:56 PM

18x9.5 +20 rota grids, already rolled my fenders but always thought about coilovers til it came down to seein the price
Old Oct 24, 2013, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

18x9.5 +20 rota grids, already rolled my fenders but always thought about coilovers til it came down to seein the price
What size tires?! And do you plan on tracking the car at all?!
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:47 AM

Might autox it if i find a spot around me but just to cross it off the bucket list and I'm still looking at tire size, I've seen a lot of write ups about a 245 series I love the look of flush rims super concave and a little camber so my ol lady don't think the evo will go as fast
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Might autox it if i find a spot around me but just to cross it off the bucket list and I'm still looking at tire size, I've seen a lot of write ups about a 245 series I love the look of flush rims super concave and a little camber so my ol lady don't think the evo will go as fast
I wouldn't auto-x a car thats flush with stretched 245 tires on a 9.5 inch rim on a strut/spring setup. The reasons being auto-x is all about quick, technical, sharp turns that test the overall handling dynamic of the car. By stretching the tire you're losing all the strength in the sidewall which is a crucial element in auto-x. If its stretched too much you could end up popping the bead on a really sharp turn and ruining the rim itself. And struts/springs work for auto-x but it still wouldn't recomend it with a flush rim setup for the simple fact that theres just too much body roll and transfered enegry going on. I would definitely suggest coilovers for your plans. A good set of springs will run you 250-300 bucks, i'd save up and get an entry level coilover like Meghan or something. Thats just my opinion