Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheel wobble

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel wobble

I'm having a horrendous wheel wobble in my front passenger wheel, you can visibly see it wobbling. It's accompanied by a loud "helicopter sound" and a bad steering wheel shake. This is all after an alignment and the specs are good. I was told I have a bad wheel bearing in the wheel and next week it is going to get replaced. On my way home is when I noticed the issues. Background story, brand new fortune auto coilovers, new tires, rebuilt calipers with new pads and new rotors, new rpf1 wheels with 20mm front spacers. This is happening even when just driving straight, it's pretty scary. When I got home, even just sitting with car on and turning the wheel I can hear a creaking sort of sound from that area. I also noticed, I grabbed the rotor on that same side and it had some play, no other rotor has any play...what could be the cause here. Thanks guys.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm... when you jacked the front up did the wheel physically sag down when the weight was off of it? I know evo bearings are held together with the axle and nut creating compression for the bearings to be able to run and stay in the races. so maybe you have a loose axle nut (more then likely not as they are cotter pinned), the wheel bearing mount bolts are loose and the bearing is "walking" in the knuckle or rotating, or you have a bad bearing. I'm assuming you know the inner and outer tie rod test, so push on the rim at 7 o'clock position, and keep pressure on it while you rotate it around once, and see it where you are pushing on it, as the closes part of the rim will be where you have pressure on the rim, that will tell you if the bearing is going out lol. Hopefully this all makes sense
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reply brother. But I figured the problem out.

for anyone reading thread and/or having a similar issue, CHECK YOUR SPACERS. It turns out my spacer nuts(the ones holding spacer to rotor, we're loose and backing out) I retorqued them and all is well. Make sure to do a retorque after 20 miles and after another 100 to be safe.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
if your spacers are "permanent", as in you don't take them off very often to switch to your race wheels or something like that. You should be using red loc-tite on the lugs holding the spacer to the hub.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
if your spacers are "permanent", as in you don't take them off very often to switch to your race wheels or something like that. You should be using red loc-tite on the lugs holding the spacer to the hub.
I may do that. Other option is I think I want to run extended arp studs and stop using built in stud spacers