Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help - Best wheel & tire size set up for circuit racing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2015, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys I'm looking for a wheel that's going to make my Evo grip and handle like it should.

I was thinking...

*18 inch Diameter (To clear huge racing calipers though I only have stock size Brembo's at the moment )
*9 or 9.5 inch width ( to run at least a 255 tire )
*38P (to retain stock steering and suspension geometry)

Iv spent the last couple hours looking online but most popular brands like (Ray volk / Enkei / Work emotion / Advan) do not offer 38P in these sizes

When I did find something it will not clear brembo's

Perhaps I need to consider 17x9 38P

Does anyone know of any wheels that would meet these criteria and could point me in the right directions

Im also happy to listen to suggestions and personal opinions on different sizes and offsets. but as far as im aware staying 38P would be the best for an evo.

Thanks in advance Kevin
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nzevo8
Hi guys I'm looking for a wheel that's going to make my Evo grip and handle like it should.

I was thinking...

*18 inch Diameter (To clear huge racing calipers though I only have stock size Brembo's at the moment )
*9 or 9.5 inch width ( to run at least a 255 tire )
*38P (to retain stock steering and suspension geometry)

Iv spent the last couple hours looking online but most popular brands like (Ray volk / Enkei / Work emotion / Advan) do not offer 38P in these sizes

When I did find something it will not clear brembo's

Perhaps I need to consider 17x9 38P

Does anyone know of any wheels that would meet these criteria and could point me in the right directions

Im also happy to listen to suggestions and personal opinions on different sizes and offsets. but as far as im aware staying 38P would be the best for an evo.

Thanks in advance Kevin
I'm not trying to be condescending. But from the sound of your post you come off as naive to circuit racing. Best advice I have ever received from anyone that tracks an Evo, or anything for that matter, is start stock. Drive the car stock. leave the stock wheels. learn the car the way it is now. Get good at driving it how it is. Don't waste your money on wheels. Save that for consumables (brakes, tires, fluids, etc). Once your pushing the limit of what a stock Evo can do (which takes time) then you will start to find where you as an Evo driver needs upgrading. Maybe you start boiling your brakes, upgrade the fluid and cooling. Maybe you are tired of under steer, so you modify your rear diff. These are just examples and by no means are a formula for tracking an Evo. If you don't modify for the cool factor, and hold off. In the end you will be a significantly faster driver. Ask anyone in the Motorsports section of this forum.

Cheers and good luck

And always have fun and be safe!

CB
Old Aug 26, 2015, 02:52 PM

The car isn't a circuit dedicated race car, Its just a street driven evo that will see the occasional play days (which is just entry level/practise track days) for fun.

Im just wanting something that is set up perfect so it can get on the track and mean business from the word go.

My car is currently on 18x10 25P Advan RS with stretched 225/40/18 tires.

Now that may look "cool" along with many "stance" or "hellaflush" set ups you see these days

But that was not what the Evo was made for.

I'm just looking to for a wheel/tire combo to grip and perform hence why im looking for something with a 38 offset. While allowing me to run some big tires like 255.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 05:03 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
When I started tracking I ran the stock wheel w/a 245/45 Nitto NT01

Thats is more tire than you will need during your first few events
Old Aug 27, 2015, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
When I started tracking I ran the stock wheel w/a 245/45 Nitto NT01

Thats is more tire than you will need during your first few events
This!

I run the same size Dunlop Star Specs on stock wheels on a dedicated track car. Buy a cheap set of stock wheels and have fun! I promise that you will not be able to squeeze all the capability out of the stock setup your first, second, or even 10th event. I'm just trying to save you money.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mouseIX
This!

I run the same size Dunlop Star Specs on stock wheels on a dedicated track car. Buy a cheap set of stock wheels and have fun! I promise that you will not be able to squeeze all the capability out of the stock setup your first, second, or even 10th event. I'm just trying to save you money.

+1 I ran a track event on stock wheels and 245 star specs. It was just fine for the novice group. I would reccomend a similar set up. Also make sure you get good brake pads and fluids before you track it. if not, youll spend the whole day cooling the brakes.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 09:22 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Gramlights makes the 57dr in 18x9.5 +38. The 18x9.5 +35 konig milligrams on my car work very well also. With a 265/35r18, you just need a goof fender roll with a bit of pull in the rear.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 02:56 PM

cheers mate I will look into the gramlights.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 03:30 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
i did my first track day (in this car) with 18x9 Rota SVNs with Nitto 555r tires. that was my street setup that worked "okay" on the track. they were heavy and not too sticky. not too sticky was a good thing, though. i learned the car on that setup (not my first track vehicle, but much different dynamics than my FWD car).

i now run a 17x9.5 +38 RPF1 with a 255 "street" tire (Hankook R-S3). but i worked up to it.

as mentioned above, the BEST thing you can do is put a decent tire on the stock wheel. 18s are pointless because, really, you probably won't be needing a big brake kit any time soon and the 18s are needless weight. oh, and the tires cost quite a bit more.

now, if you are going with a BBK and 18s for looks? you may or may not see a performance gain but you are still adding needless weight to the car and adding it in the worst place. unless you are going with some really baller parts, you will end up with, essentially, a slower car. but! the car will look better and can still be a ton of fun and perform well enough.

it's up to you how serious you want to get.

FWIW, i see lots of podiums and records set with 255/40-17 tires.

My car is currently on 18x10 25P Advan RS with stretched 225/40/18 tires.
this is very, very, very bad LOL. you won't be able to wipe the smile from your face once you get a nice set of wheels/tires on there!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 03:43 PM
EvoM Guru

18's offer the performance advantage of a shorter/stiffer sidewall, especially in 265 and 275 size tires. As well ad the ability to run a 285/30. The weight difference is negligible. Also, my wheels are still light. An 18x8.5 milligram is 18.9lbs. I'm sure the 9.5 is less than 2lbs heavier. A 20lb wheel is about the same weight as the stock Enkei wheel, I think they're around 20-21...
Old Aug 29, 2015, 03:46 PM
EvoM Guru

And 18's look better :P
Attached Thumbnails Help - Best wheel & tire size set up for circuit racing-photo789.jpg  
Old Aug 29, 2015, 03:50 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
And 18's look better :P
can't argue that.

my response is assuming OP isn't looking to go all out with making a big tire fit. he hasn't said, so i could be very wrong. but it definitely doesn't sound like he needs a 265+at this time.

Last edited by kaj; Aug 29, 2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 04:41 PM

18s look good but they are generally $100-$150 more than 17s per set, which may add up if you are doing a lot of track days.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 04:55 PM
kaj

these are the tires i use. i go through two sets per year. serious guys use more and REALLY serious people use a new set for each event.

255-18 $856.36
255-17 $616.48
Old Aug 30, 2015, 02:51 PM

thanks guys for the suggestions, right now im looking at Evo X wheels (non bbs) and using 255/35/18. Fitment sounds like no drama's and it actually looks really nice when painted Gunmetal or bronze.

Quick Reply: Help - Best wheel & tire size set up for circuit racing