Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Speakers and LOC Problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speakers and LOC Problem

I just bought an 08 non SSS but with OEM Navi. The stock sound system was pretty weak so I decided to add a amp and sub. I have an Line output converter tapped into the driver side rear speaker. I tapped the speaker wires located between the front and rear door covered by plastic panels.

For some reason when I turn on the car with the LOC connected. All the speakers do not work. When I leave the LOC off and turn on the car the speakers work. When I connect the LOC while the car is already on, the speakers and the subwoofer works. (Sounds great!!). This is my 3rd LOC unit and its always the same. And I know I tapped the correct wires because the only way to get everything to turn on is to connect the LOC while the car is already on.

What gives??

Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:40 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
you should connect the LOC to the wires off the subwoofer, the wires that you are tapping into are door speaker wires (which have the wrong frequency sent to them by the factory x-over in the factory amp). Just use the one that's already at the factory subwoofer, then you will have the proper x-over by default.

As for the power up issues, it sounds like you have the LOC power lead connected to an improper power wire, make sure it's a 12v accessory power wire.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by ikt
you should connect the LOC to the wires off the subwoofer, the wires that you are tapping into are door speaker wires (which have the wrong frequency sent to them by the factory x-over in the factory amp). Just use the one that's already at the factory subwoofer, then you will have the proper x-over by default.

As for the power up issues, it sounds like you have the LOC power lead connected to an improper power wire, make sure it's a 12v accessory power wire.
Thanks. Where exactly are the subwoofer wires and what color are they? I do not have the SSS package so I am missing the OEM subwoofer and amp.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by iBlue
Thanks. Where exactly are the subwoofer wires and what color are they? I do not have the SSS package so I am missing the OEM subwoofer and amp.
Lol..i had to go through the same damn thing with my car. you have to take the rear seats out(well not really, but it is so much easier if you do) the four wires are located behind the driver rear seat. They should be connected to a harness but no power is going to them. the four colors should be green, blue(+) and yellow, white (-).

The connections for the factory amp however is not set up on a non SSS.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 04:52 PM

Also, in the trunk there is a 4 pin harness for the factory sub to connect to. i bought a used factory sub and everything works like a champ, thanks to a big help from ikt..
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:44 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by gonzo082
Also, in the trunk there is a 4 pin harness for the factory sub to connect to. i bought a used factory sub and everything works like a champ, thanks to a big help from ikt..
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:33 AM

Really appreciate it guys.

So the 4 wires behind the seat are the subwoofer wires but have no power? I can just tap the LOC to that and thats it? Are the wires already hooked up to behind the head unit?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 04:22 PM

Honestly, I know its more cables to run but the best place for a LOC is at the radio BEFORE it gets to the factory amp/ crossover.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 05:49 PM

That's not a problem, I'll see if that works tonight. I will tap right behind the HU.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:15 PM

Really appreciate it guys.

So the 4 wires behind the seat are the subwoofer wires but have no power? I can just tap the LOC to that and thats it? Are the wires already hooked up to behind the head unit?
No, the wires stop at the harness. Yes, it sounds very dumb but Mitsubishi loves to play with your head...LoL..When you take a look, you will notice what im talking about. I suck at describing things and i put my seats back on but if i take them back off this week, i will take a picture
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:45 PM

I found the unplugged 4 pin harness in the trunk. I ran a voltmeter and got nothing from them while the car stereo is on. So I assume that they are not connected to head unit.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 11:08 PM

if you follow the wiring from that 4 pin harness, it will lead you to another harness and that is where the wires stop. I had to splice the wires and connect it to my aftermarket amp. It worked out well.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:15 AM

Can I ask what and how you spliced to make the harness connect to the amp?
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:45 AM

Can I ask what and how you spliced to make the harness connect to the amp?
i didnt cut the wires off the factory harness in case i ever sell it and someone wants to go through all the trouble to make everything stock(i doubt it but you never know). i just cut the wire insulation to expose the wire and added new wires to route to my amp. if you want to make it permanent solder the new wires to the existing wires. afterwards use heat shrink so you dont have anything exposed and so the wires wont hit each other. Its a littl hard to explain, but if your confused ., let me know and i will try and take some pictures
Old Sep 4, 2013, 01:59 PM

I pulled out the stock navi in hopes to tap the speaker wires directly behind the unit, but it didnt work. I guess the wire colors behind the head unit differ from the colors that go into the speakers.

Please take pics, that would be awesome.

Last edited by iBlue; Sep 4, 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Speakers and LOC Problem