Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Does the 2014 Evo touchscreen radio support back up camera?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by arsing116
My camera has a black (negative?) and a red (positive?) wire when I spliced the yellow RCA. When I plug in the two wires into the gray connector as shown and put the car into reverse, the screen goes black but no video shows up. I tested the camera with my dvd player and the camera is not dead so what can be wrong?

Any ideas anyone? Did I fry my headunit?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something seems wrong with your connections. Are you sure you tested each wire from the camera? If the HU is still powering up thens it not fried. If it's not try your fuse. I say just your wiring is wrong. Make sure to reread everything back over.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
So 18 gauge crimp pins fit in the gray connector? Thinking about doing this and wanted to make sure i get the right size. Also where's a good place to source these?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Did this install today, went really well. Basically just pulled the rear bumper and most of the trunk, tapped into the reverse wire in the trunk, ran the wire through the kick panel on the drivers side and up to the head unit.

Here's the crimps I used, needed a bit of persuasion to work but work well. http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...tors_-_10_pack

Used this camera, will need to shim it to clear the bumper when mounted next to the license plate lights http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audiovox...&skuId=8732622

And last, here was the picture before the bumper was on, I can post a better one when its shimmed
Old Dec 2, 2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by franzcars
Did this install today, went really well. Basically just pulled the rear bumper and most of the trunk, tapped into the reverse wire in the trunk, ran the wire through the kick panel on the drivers side and up to the head unit.

Here's the crimps I used, needed a bit of persuasion to work but work well. http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...tors_-_10_pack

Used this camera, will need to shim it to clear the bumper when mounted next to the license plate lights http://www.bestbuy.com/site/audiovox...&skuId=8732622

And last, here was the picture before the bumper was on, I can post a better one when its shimmed
Nice. I'm going to try installing with this camera. My other camera (Metra TE-SSC) may not be compatible for some reason. All I got was a black screen when I threw it into reverse.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Nice. I'm going to try installing with this camera. My other camera (Metra TE-SSC) may not be compatible for some reason. All I got was a black screen when I threw it into reverse.
Are you sure that the video cables are not reversed?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by franzcars
Are you sure that the video cables are not reversed?
Yeah, I even swapped them to check and I still get a black screen when I throw it into reverse. When I cut the black wire with the yellow RCA, there's a small yellow wire and a shield wire that I twisted together.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I even swapped them to check and I still get a black screen when I throw it into reverse. When I cut the black wire with the yellow RCA, there's a small yellow wire and a shield wire that I twisted together.
Ahh okay, Yeah mine was a wire and the shielding, and the shielding ended up being the ground. And im guessing the camera is getting power?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats your problem.

The small yellow wire is the video +. The metal "sheilding" is video -.

Hook up the small yellow wire to video + and ground the sheilding and youll be good to go.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by jakeleclair2000
Thats your problem.

The small yellow wire is the video +. The metal "sheilding" is video -.

Hook up the small yellow wire to video + and ground the sheilding and youll be good to go.
I guess I typed this post out wrong, sorry, but yeah, I have the yellow in '+' and the shielding wire (this is what I twisted together) in '-'.

I am using crimp connectors similar to post 124.

I am getting power from the white reverse wire at the rear of the car.

I am at a stand still lol smh
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I typed this post out wrong, sorry, but yeah, I have the yellow in '+' and the shielding wire (this is what I twisted together) in '-'.

I am using crimp connectors similar to post 124.

I am getting power from the white reverse wire at the rear of the car.

I am at a stand still lol smh
Do you have a DMM? A little testing here would expose your issue.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 09:01 AM

an my install I had two wires in the rca cut plug with one having shielding ,are you sure there is only one wire in it that is shielded?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by zap50
an my install I had two wires in the rca cut plug with one having shielding ,are you sure there is only one wire in it that is shielded?
yeah, the shielding surrounds the yellow & that's it. I have another cam & that cut rca exposes just a red & a black wire.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 08:41 AM

Sure that the white wire is getting power when car is in reverse? I did all my wire connections up at the deck, so not sure what is at the back for power, did you try running power to the cam with another power source with video + and - hooked up ?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by zap50
Sure that the white wire is getting power when car is in reverse? I did all my wire connections up at the deck, so not sure what is at the back for power, did you try running power to the cam with another power source with video + and - hooked up ?
Yeah its getting power and the ground is good. There is about 1.3V coming from the "+" video signal before I input the connector into the back of the headunit when the car is in reverse. The camera is fine.

Quick Reply: Does the 2014 Evo touchscreen radio support back up camera?