Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

2014 Touchscreen (non nav) iPod interface/connection alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Touchscreen (non nav) iPod interface/connection alternatives?

Good afternoon,
I have a 2014 GSR with the touchscreen and RF SS package.
There is no aux/RCA under the HVAC controls =(
The USB in the glove box does nothing. I've left my iPod (iPod classic) plugged in on a 20 min drive to work, nothing, no charge, no un-greyed option in the menu on the radio. Same with my iPhone (version 5). It's like the USB is just for show but doesn't actually work.
When I had my TL-S I used a US SPEC iPod interface that took over the satellite radio inputs and replaced them with an iPod interface and it was brilliant.
Cursory google searches have yielded nothing, other than the fact the car is supposed to come with a iPod interface, and most people have posted its so terrible it's not worth using.
Right now I've been using a bluetooth adapter on the iPod and I stream to the radio. But its kind of laggy when I start/stop it. And it crushes the battery. It uses the same bottom connection as the charger so if I have a drive and it's not topped off then, well, annoyance.

Also since I have that synced with the bluetooth, I can't have my phone synced, I have to change it every time.

So, is there a good alternative that retains the factory head unit?
Does the aux port add on from Mitsubishi work with the new 2014 head unit?

Ideally I'd like to keep the phone synced Bluetooth, but be able to hook the iPod up either via AUX or an aftermarket alternative in which it would connect to the docking connector and provide charge and audio connection to the radio.

Thanks

Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:43 PM

Did some more searching and ordered one of these off eBay.

"One Scosche MIAXB factory auxiliary input retention harness for Mitsubishi Lancer 2008-Up vehicles Plugs directly into vehicle harness"

I have no idea if it works with the 2014 new radio, so its a gable, but only $14 so we'll see.

If it does, a RCA to iPod connector is cheap and "should" charge it as well. I had a set up like this in my Integra forever ago and it worked great.

Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you contacted your dealer about the USB not working? Mine works great.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 12:53 PM

No, the dealer I bought it from is way south of me, like an hour.

The closest dealer is in downtown Baltimore. Id rather not deal with them if I can help it. I've got a weird thing with people working on/touching my car unless they are really stand up shop, and most dealers I've seen aren't.

Oh, and you should totally trade me trunks! haha
Old Mar 10, 2014, 02:35 PM

I'm currently trying to use the AUX cable accessory for the older radios. I only had the left speakers working though, plays through the Bluetooth menu. I picked up a diagram from my local dealer but it doesn't really help with the radio pins. If I find out something then I'll let everyone know.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 03:03 PM

Awe so I wasted $14?

Does it plug right in?
It doesn't play through aux menu?

If you pull your h/u out again can you snap a pic if the back?
Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Psybin
Awe so I wasted $14?

Does it plug right in?
It doesn't play through aux menu?

If you pull your h/u out again can you snap a pic if the back?
Thanks
I think it will plug in, but the wires are probably not in the right spot. The wiring diagrams I've found for the X are 2008-2010ish, and they aren't the same. I'll grab a picture of it ASAP. There are 3 wires that I had to pull for the AUX install, grey/white/black, and they seem to attach to the satellite tuner. I'm probably going to hit up my dealership and see if they can get me which wire goes where, since they can get a
hold of the MMC techline.

Last edited by gman_CZ4A; Mar 10, 2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional content
Old Mar 15, 2014, 03:46 PM

So I received the "Aux harness" I ordered off eBay today.

Sadly though, the one female connector that wasn't filled didn't fit the harness connector.

But I saw what looked like a 3.5mm female stereo jack port!

I hooked up a male/male cable, put the radio on aux, plugged in my iPod. Nothing.
Tried two different cables, iPod and iPhone. Nothing.

These two jacks circled were the empty ones on my particular model. GSR with SS package but no Aux/backup camera. (photo borrowed from bluewrx02)

The only thing I could think of, and I'm not a wiring guy by any means, is that MAYBE if I hooked up a 3.5mm stereo to RCA, perhaps that would work? I have one, but didn't have anything handy to plug it in. I know you can get RCA to dock connector jack, unclear what would work or why the aux port does nothing, much like my USB port.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 08:32 PM

I mean if you really want it to work i'd just go to the dealer and have them fix the USB port and the bluetooth, you could just have a bad bluetooth module