Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Warmup and Aggressive MIVEC Maps

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Warmup and Aggressive MIVEC Maps

After a few months of testing under various conditions I decided to share these MIVEC maps that I used on my stock turbo setup. They are a combination of JDM, US, warmup and normal maps as a guide and then adding in more exhaust retard and intake advance during spoolup load cells. The full throttle 220%+ load cells have very minor changes as I haven't had a chance to datalog and dyno power differences at WOT.

Since all cars are not the same it is suggested that you datalog these changes with EvoScan or similar tool to ensure there is no knock present. I ended up reducing my timing 1-2 degrees to accomodate these settings with zero knock at spoolup but likely it wasn't absolutely necessary and mainly a precaution. You can just use the "warmup" map as your main #2 map if you want to stay on the more conservative side which shouldn't require any other changes. You may also want to remove some of the changes at the 30-40% load cells if you feel the car is TOO willing to build boost.

My spool test was accelerating in 4th at 2000 rpm and letting off when it hit 20 PSI:
Stock Maps: 2800
Modified Maps: 2550

Typical spoolup gains seem to be between 250-300 rpms depending on the gear. I ran these maps on my car at Watkins Glen for 2 days of hard track driving and several thousand miles of daily driving. The car was so much more willing to build boost it was a night and day difference. Hopefully you will enjoy it the same way I did, or perhaps even improve on them further so that we can all benefit.

Use these at your own risk and verify with a datalogger that all is well! I can't be held resonsible for any changes YOU make to your Evo X's ECU.

Here is an otherwise Stock Evo X ROM file that has the modified maps for easier copy and paste.
Hiboost MIVEC Intake and Exhaust

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 7, 2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing your hard work! I've played around with mivec exhaust briefly on the dyno and couldn't seem to make any huge differences, so I think you're right that the WOT gains may be minimal, but the differences in spoolup and part throttle response can be large.

Have you noticed that the part-throttle behavior of the car, especially with shifting, has made it a bit harder to drive smoothly? I feel like the JDM mivec has made my car a bit harder to drive smoothly, especially during warmup.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

By using both maps you should be fine and the car just drove much smoother all around with these maps in place with boost coming on very strong at almost any RPM.

About the only other major change I made for drivability was the "Open Loop Load High Octane #1" map. I was getting a slight hesitation when the car was warming up just as I got into boost at 3000-3500 rpms. It appeared that the car was staying in closed loop too long and leaning out under light boost when the AFR's were cycling. I caught the behaviour in a datalog at 115-120% load and went to work.

By assuming that #2 was the "normal" map I decided to make the crossover from closed loop to open loop in the #1 map the same as #2 so that the open loop mode would kick in sooner during warmup. This fixed the slight hesitation and I never looked back.

3000 rpm -> 125% -> 120%
3500 rpm -> 120% -> 100%
4000 rpm -> 100% -> 77.5%
Old Jul 6, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

I keep thinking about doing that as well. My car spools up a bit too lean right now since it takes it just a bit to long to go into open loop.

Thanks for sharing that info!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Any chance you can put these into a .hex and upload it so that there aren't any potential issues with migrating the data from the pic to a map?
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

I'll try and copy them into an otherwise stock ecu rom hex later tonight. First I need to re-assemble my laptop, oops.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Ya the intake maps are easy to read, it's the red/blue that are harder.

You can send me your map via email to my screenname @ gmail and I'll put it into a stock/gunzo map if you wanted.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're the man for sharing, HiBoost! I'll wait for the Hex files later on.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for sharing the trick of lowering open loop load too during warmup. I've noticed this odd hesitation around 2300 rpm's when the car is cold. It's like it doesn't want to build boost, then all of sudden will and takes off (under light throttle). The thing that confuses me is that I thought that when the car is cold, it runs in open loop anyway since the stock o2 sensor is not warmed up yet. Maybe it warms up really quickly. But it sounds like I need to try lowering open loop load at 2000-2500 rpm's in map #1 for warmup.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry it took so long to upload this, finally up and running on the new laptop. Report back with any issues you may have or comments on spoolup before and after.

Here is an otherwise Stock Evo X ROM file that has the modified maps for easier copy and paste.
Hiboost MIVEC Intake and Exhaust
Old Jul 7, 2009, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Cheers Hiboost
Old Jul 7, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

OK I loaded these tables up... and here's the log results. I'm getting knock > 7krpm in both the JDM and the Hiboost maps. I'm also running rich as hell it looks like (Innovate LC-1 wideband installed at the front of the test pipe).

These pulls are in 3rd gear.

Hiboost tables:
Run 1 (note the boost spike):

Run 2:

JDM tables:

Power Mods:
UR TBE (o2 housing, tp, dual exhaust), AEM intake, AMS solid motor mount, T1R turbo outlet, T1R UICP, T1R LICP, ETS 4" FMIC, GM 3 port boost solenoid
Attached Thumbnails Warmup and Aggressive MIVEC Maps-hiboost.png   Warmup and Aggressive MIVEC Maps-mine.png   Warmup and Aggressive MIVEC Maps-hiboost2.png  

Last edited by goofygrin; Jul 7, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, really hard to tell with that logging speed and the super rich AFR's aren't helping spool or power at full boost. The slight knock at 6800-7000 could just be normal for your engine especially if taking out 1 degree of timing doesn't effect it.

Generally I would aim for 12.5 -> 12.0 AFR's during spoolup with 11.5 AFR at peak torque and 11.0 AFR at peak HP for a reasonably safe tune. Keep in mind that your sensor may be off somewhat unless you really are running 9.0-9.5 AFR's. Boost seems slightly on the high side at 27-28 psi at lower RPM's but that could work if there is no knock. I think you would make more power running leaner and a bit less timing on the top end. You could also likely get 6 degrees of timing at peak torque but what you have now may be as high as you can go with the boost spike you are getting.

Were you able to do any 4th gear spool test comparisons vs US maps?
Old Jul 8, 2009, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go go gog
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Ha, KevinD (my tuner) saw these logs and said "something's wrong" and I agree.

When we tuned a couple weeks ago, I was 11.5 AFR across the band -- almost a flat line. Either my wideband is off or something else is going on. I'll be going in and having them look at it .

Quick Reply: Warmup and Aggressive MIVEC Maps