Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Car won't start up...help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car won't start up...help!

Hey guys, I need a bit of help trying to diagnose a start-up issue I am having.

Ever since I installed ID1000cc injectors, there were odd times where it would take a long time to crank and start up, it helps by pushing the gas pedal to WOT and the car would eventually start up.

Just now when I cranked up the car, it stalled right after as I didn't crank long enough. So I tried re-cranking again and again, and it won't start at all!...even if I put the gas pedal down it still wouldn't start, regardless of how long I crank the ignition. I've been doing it over and over for the past hour and still no luck.

Your help will be appreciated!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had an issue with an MR that we put in DW 1000cc injectors where cold the car would start but hot it would be touch and go. In a similar fashion pushing down the gas pedal would "usually" allow it to catch but once in a while it would flood with too much fuel.

Usually if pushing down the gas pedal allows it to start then there is too much fuel. You can try pulling the injector relay in the fuse box and if it starts after a few cranks (then dies since the injectors are off), that proves the issue is too much fuel.

There is the Cranking Enrichment IPW Adder (Main) in ECUflash that might aid your situation if you lower the numbers about 5% or 10% at a time in the areas where it is doing this. One thing though, if the car is flooded, you will have to pull the injector relay and let it start then die to get a fair test of the new settings.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for chiming in Hiboost, do you have a diagram showing which one is the injector relay?
Old Jul 6, 2011, 01:34 AM
Evolving Member

Golden has a thread on the other EVO X forum which talks about another Cranking IPW table in addition to the Cranking Enrichment IPW Adder (Main) table which affects the start up.

Might be good to check it out too.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RS200Z
Golden has a thread on the other EVO X forum which talks about another Cranking IPW table in addition to the Cranking Enrichment IPW Adder (Main) table which affects the start up.

Might be good to check it out too.
Hmmm, I didn't know there was another one!

Here is the diagram that I lost the original link to, but luckily I downloaded it and hosted it at my site for reference:

Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

I let the car sat over night hoping the fuel has dried up, but this morning it still won`t start up, all it does was cranking the whole time....

I tried removing the injector relay and crank it that way, still wouldn`t start....
Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

If its anything like the RX-8, pushing WOT on the throttle cut off the fuel to the motor. This could be the reason why you were able to start the car with the gas pedal fully depressed to the floor. If that's the case, you flooded the motor. You probably have not been driving your car very far or often.

It might also of course be your injector settings.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Can you post your latency and scaling details?

Also, check the pigtails. It's odd that it now won't start up no matter what. I would check fuses too. I can't remember if the 10 is the same, but the brown fuse under the dash can blow on the 8/9 if the rear 02 shorts and the car will just crank and not start until you replace it.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolutionxtac
If its anything like the RX-8, pushing WOT on the throttle cut off the fuel to the motor. This could be the reason why you were able to start the car with the gas pedal fully depressed to the floor. If that's the case, you flooded the motor. You probably have not been driving your car very far or often.

It might also of course be your injector settings.
The car is actually my daily driver. When it happened I was re-starting the car within one hour after parking it. It started at first but perhaps I didn`t crank long enough so it stalled on me, from that point I couldn`t start it again and I have probably flooded the motor as you said. I thought the fuel would be dried up this morning, but I still couldn`t start it...

Originally Posted by razorlab
Can you post your latency and scaling details?

Also, check the pigtails. It's odd that it now won't start up no matter what. I would check fuses too. I can't remember if the 10 is the same, but the brown fuse under the dash can blow on the 8/9 if the rear 02 shorts and the car will just crank and not start until you replace it.
I will post the tables tonight when I get home. Which fuse specifically should I look into? I`m already running the blue fuse for injector relay...
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

I guess the plugs might be fouled in some manner, but cranking it with the injector relay should have eventually thinned out the mixture enough to allow a spark to ignite whatever was in there. Maybe crank it over with the plugs removed and injector relay removed and try fresh plugs. You can also verify you are getting spark by installing one plug into the coil, just be carefull and avoid lighting and vapors nearby. Are you positive that fuel is reaching the combustion chambers? Check if the plugs are wet with fuel, you could also carefully check if there is fuel pressure by slightly removing the feed line to the fuel rail. Just be sure to use a towel and avoid spraying the fuel as you release the fitting. If there is no pressure than perhaps your fuel pump quit on you.

Pretty much spark, fuel, and air in the right combo is going to get you a running engine in some manner. So if spark is 100% and air is entering the chambers, just the right amount of fuel needs to be sprayed past the spark to get it to all work. When it comes to fuel, usually too much or none at all is what causes no start. If there is not enough and you keep cranking, eventually the fuel will build up to where there is enough and at least start rough.

Last edited by Hiboost; Jul 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

The NGK R2556B-9 were just recently installed less than 2 months old, my map has been tuned before the switch so changes of they fouling are slim...

If I can`t get it started tonight, it will need to be towed to the shop. I will bring your suggestions to them to test out. I appreciate your help bro.

This has to be the most frustating times so far...

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I guess the plugs might be fouled in some manner, but cranking it with the injector relay should have eventually thinned out the mixture enough to allow a spark to ignite whatever was in there. Maybe crank it over with the plugs removed and injector relay removed and try fresh plugs. You can also verify you are getting spark by installing one plug into the coil, just be carefull and avoid lighting and vapors nearby. Are you positive that fuel is reaching the combustion chambers? Check if the plugs are wet with fuel, you could also carefully check if there is fuel pressure by slightly removing the feed line to the fuel rail. Just be sure to use a towel and avoid spraying the fuel as you release the fitting. If there is no pressure than perhaps your fuel pump quit on you.

Pretty much spark, fuel, and air in the right combo is going to get you a running engine in some manner. So if spark is 100% and air is entering the chambers, just the right amount of fuel needs to be sprayed past the spark to get it to all work. When it comes to fuel, usually too much or none at all is what causes no start. If there is not enough and you keep cranking, eventually the fuel will build up to where there is enough and at least start rough.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:39 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evolutionxtac
If its anything like the RX-8, pushing WOT on the throttle cut off the fuel to the motor.
My friend suggested this when I was looking at my X for purchase, however I don't think it works in the same fashion. What had happened was I had done a read on the ECU and (though the program reported it had) the process had not completely finished. Once I re-read (or if you select an option from the ECUFLash menu) it started right up.

The fuel might not make its way out of the cylinders if the plugs are still in... but if you pulled the injector relay (I prefer the fuel pump fuse or right at the injector clips) and replaced it properly that should clear it up.

Who tuned the car? Do you know if they changed the startup values? (..these are not as big of a deal on the X if you stay with the same fuel). I wouldn't start with the pedal on the floor... maybe 30%.

I'd check fuses and make sure you put the relay back in correctly.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

I returned every ignition components from aftermarket back to stock parts but it still doesn't startup, so the Okada and Coltspeed parts were not at fault.

We confirmed there is infact no spark coming from the plugs. Fuel pressure seems okay.

Now what can cause this no spark issue??
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Crank Angle Sensor
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by LVSBB6
I returned every ignition components from aftermarket back to stock parts but it still doesn't startup, so the Okada and Coltspeed parts were not at fault.

We confirmed there is infact no spark coming from the plugs. Fuel pressure seems okay.

Now what can cause this no spark issue??
Did you check the fuses yet?!??!

Check the fuse box under the dash inside the car, drivers side.

If you pop the little door open there should be a fuse diagram. The one labled like the "check engine" looking thing is the fuse you should be checking. Also check these under the hood:

Quick Reply: Car won't start up...help!