Notices
Evo X Engine Management / Tuning Forums Discuss the major engine management systems.

Getting from Point A to B to get your tune

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting from Point A to B to get your tune

I'm curious as to what some of you guys did in terms of getting your car from Point A where you were working on it or had it worked on, to Point B to get it tuned after your parts were installed. Unfortunately I'm not in a great area where there are multiple high-end protuning shops with positive results within a 50 mile radius, and I've got about 250 miles I'll need to cover. Now if it wasn't an Evo and I had some 4x4 I wanted to needlessly jack 10 feet off the ground yet gain zero clearance on the pumpkins, never upgrade the brakes or suspension, and slap some non functional semi stacks on it, I'd have my pick of the litter of what shade-tree mechanic shop to choose from.

Basically just need to know just the bottom-line of 'Is it safe' or just what the risks are. I've looked into all my shipping options. I could haul it myself but my only double axle is back on my farm, 400 miles quiet literally in the opposite direction I need to be going. Having it shipped enclosed or even on a carrier after paying the premium surcharges for optimal positioning is just ridiculous, and I'm not real trusting of renting a trailer as the upkeep on those things is usually on the south side of sub-par and I really don't want one of the wheel bearings to freeze and burn out and put me into a jersey wall and send the entire hub assembly flying down the interstate.

Anyways, my car has a pre-existing STX400 tune on it from AMS. I don't know if this would help in the slightest or hurt it even more than a base OEM tune. I'll have a wideband to see if something is going **** up and stop it before it happens. This is the parts list of things that've changed from OE:

Exhaust manifold
Downpipe
Entire exhaust w/ TP
Short ram air intake (was installed a few years ago, but putting it here regardless)
FMIC
3-Port ECBS
Synapse DV
Fuel Rail w/damper
UICP
LICP
Radiator & new lines
Heated Sump on the SST
SST cooler
Dual catch cans
H20/Methanol (Everything is plumbed, but I'd be cutting the power to the entire assembly for the trip until the shop can tune the car for it)
New SST/Oil/Coolant fluids
Bunch of other miscellaneous things like harder bushings, new plugs I'll be saving in case any pre-tune running foul up the ones in there, and other pieces that aren't directly related to the ECU, etc.

The fuel pump, injectors, internals and turbo are all still stock. (That fun stuff will come later after I refill my piggy bank for a while). If I drive like grandma, baby the hell out of it, don't get into boost, and just limp the car, would a 250 mile trip do any sort of irreparable harm or really screw something up? Or would the car not really like it and probably run like hell but handle it just for that duration?
Old Feb 3, 2017, 02:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you look at what the stx400 kit was? Its basically everything you placed on the car minus the fuel rail and meth.

AMS Titanium Race Series Cat-Back Exhaust, Single Tip
AMS Performance Intake System
AMS Front Mount Intercooler Kit
AMS Upper Intercooler Pipe
AMS Widemouth Downpipe
AMS 3” Stainless Steel Test Pipe
Cobb AccessPort V3
Grimmspeed 3 Port Evo X Boost Control Solenoid
AMS STX400 Calibration for the Cobb AccessPort

Why did you change anything? You were good.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Because it was a secondary map I bought 3 years ago with the AP and the intake. There wasn't anything to "change;" the car was stock minus an intake from AMS. The e-tune from AMS to flash with the AP just sat in the memory, the tune it's running on is just one Chris threw together to allow for the intake. That tune was more of an "This is the parts list I have, can you make a tune for it." It's just sat in the memory of the AP as I decided to wait out the warranty period and not void it immediately as was my original train of thought. My warranty ran out the end of last year, so I took the cash I set back over time and this is when those parts I had on a list got bought. Obviously over a 3 year period after learning more about the car, the parts list changed several times as did what I even had originally planned on doing with it. So not only could the tune of needed some adjustment when it was done years ago, it's not based off the parts I've got on the car now. All I mentioned it for was that if it is safer to perhaps run that as a base tune as its, as you pointed out, meant for some of the parts I have on my car, just to get my car to the shop I had that option.

Last edited by Stonewall; Feb 4, 2017 at 08:23 AM.