Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question on Gear Oils

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on Gear Oils

Been doing a lot of reading and everyone obviously has their own opinion, experience and brand preference. That aside, I am just looking to clarify some things. (note: I am not an expert on oils, weights, viscosity, etc, just the basics).

I am looking to DIY these changes and want to itemize what is needed and where. I am going to reference Motul Oils because that is a brand I have used and will most likely stick with unless they do not make a usable product for what the Evo requires.

For the transfer case:
Mitsu guideline calls for LSD oil - so I assume this will work?

For the Transaxle/Gearbox:
Motul Gear 300 will work fine as it is a standard 75w90 oil. This one I know about.

For the AWC Control Fluid:
Mitsu calls for Diamond ATF SPIII - what is an equivalent to this? Where does this go?

AYC Diff Gear Oil - Differential Mechanism Part
Mitsu guideline calls for LSD oil - so I assume this will work?

AYC Diff Gear Oil - Torque Transfer Part
Mitsu calls for Diamond ATF SPIII - what is an equivalent to this? Where does this go?

Thanks for help, apologies in advance for any noobness.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:45 PM

I'm not familiar with motul but for the transfer case and AYC Diff Gear Oil - Differential Mechanism Part I would stick with oem.
For the AYC Diff Gear Oil - Torque Transfer Part use oem diamond ATF as well, it is located in the rear diff, there are 2 drains and 2 fills for the different fluids.
The awc never has to be drained or refilled, it's located in your trunk though if you want to know
Transmission is really up in the air, quite a few different choices, I personally use redline but really up to you.

Last edited by zelskeet; Jan 30, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Diamond ATF SPIII is an ATF fluid meeting SPIII spec. See if Motul has anything compatible with that.

Why don't you just use what people have proven works well in the Evo?

Transmission: Redline CocktailX
Transfer case: Diaqueen 90W LSD (one 4L can is enough to do 3 drivetrain fluid changes)
Rear differential: Diaqueen 90W LSD + Diamond ATF SPIII

I personally am wary of any fluids that meet multiple specs, such as some of those Motul fluids that claim to meet both GL4 and GL5.

Last edited by Kracka; Jan 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:07 PM

Kracka - so in the rear diff (I forget this apparently) it requires 2 fluids? One is LSD and one ATF?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golfa
Kracka - so in the rear diff (I forget this apparently) it requires 2 fluids? One is LSD and one ATF?
Correct. It actually uses three fluids, but the AYC hydraulic portion does not need servicing; the other two I listed are both simple drain/fill procedures.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:27 PM

Thanks. Another curveball question... my AYC/ACD Pump has failed and I will need to remove it, send it for rebuild, then re-install. I read a flush might be needed, correct? If so that just requires ATF SPIII and is located on rear diff?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

You'd fill the system from the trunk reservoir then bleed at the transfer case and rear differential.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:04 AM

Challenge: someone make sense of this: http://awesomescreenshot.com/038vegt07

My interpretation, I think I cracked the case (no pun intended):

- Use one of their 75w80 oils for transmission. I will just use the Gear 300 which is SAE 75W-90 / API GL4 and GL 5/MIL-L-2105D
- Use "Motul FF GEAR COMPETITION 75W-140, GL-5" for transfer case
- Use "Motul gearbox 80w90" for Rear diff Torque part
- Use "Motul FF GEAR COMPETITION 75W-140, GL-5" for Rear Diff Differential Mechanism

So I believe Motul FF GEAR COMPETITION is a substitute, and mostly likely better, than Mitsubishi DiaQueen GL5 LSD Gear Oil based on my reading
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

You are making things too complicated for yourself. You can not use gearbox fluid where it calls for ATF. Motul makes quality fluids, but you need to be sure you're buying the appropriate fluids for the application.

Check what you've listed for the transmission and rear diff torque.

This is what they recommend for the torque transfer part of the rear diff: http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1303415642
This is what they recommend for the transmission: http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1328624012.

Last edited by Kracka; Jan 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
You are making things too complicated for yourself. You can not use gearbox fluid where it calls for ATF. Motul makes quality fluids, but you need to be sure you're buying the appropriate fluids for the application.

Check what you've listed for the transmission and rear diff torque.

This is what they recommend for the torque transfer part of the rear diff: http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1303415642
This is what they recommend for the transmission: http://www.motul.com/system/product_...pdf?1328624012.
good point, thanks

I think I'll try 90PA or Gear Comp and then the ATF for torque part