Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

S-AWC weird issue - long drives and no DTC's

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S-AWC weird issue - long drives and no DTC's

Hello All, and thanks for offering any help/insight/advice,

The past week the S-AWC Service Required light has come on but only under certain conditions, and help would be appreciated. Here is what happens...

If I drive the car for a long period of time (more then 30 mins) the s-AWC Service required and "!" light will come on. However, if I make short trips to work, the store, etc. it will not come on.

Also, when I turn the car off, the warnings clear.

Lastly, I have scanned for DTC's (OBDII ELM 327) while the car is on and the warning is on the dash and got nothing back.

Thanks...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Think I'm having the same, or similar issue.

"4WD System Service Required" pops up on the dash, no codes are found via OBD scanner (car running, warning on dash), and it resets itself after the car is shut off.

Mine just started a few days ago, and happens only after 15 to 30 minutes of normal driving. AYC reservoir fluid is full, tires are equally inflated (though needing to be replaced soon), and alignment seems normal (though it probably needs some adjustment by now).

I'm probably going to take mine into the dealership soon, but getting really worried they'll tell me it's the AYC pump and that it won't be covered under the 5-year powertrain warranty. I can almost bite the bullet on a $3k repair (if that's the issue, and I'll still be royally pissed).. but not on a part that will die in another 3 years.

Car is 100% stock, and always has been. Never raced, no doughnuts, launches, etc.

Any words of wisdom or bad news Iowa?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

what year is your car?? have you changed your fluids? it seems like it related to temperature issue. I know 08 has issue with pump.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:57 PM

FINALLY got a code with an AccessPort. Apparently, ODB II will no show ADC codes. Pump is dead. Rebuild kit on the way for $200.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:36 AM

What pump and where did you go for this rebuild kit?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 05:31 AM

ACD Pump...referred to as the "Hydraulic Unit" in the manual. I got it locally, not sure if they ship but there are numerous places to get a rebuild kit. Google ACD Rebuild Kit.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 01:01 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Are there any how-to's for removal of the ACD pump? And once removed, is the car still driveable?

If my issue ends up being the same, I was considering taking mine out and shipping it to ACD-Tuning in Nashville for a rebuild/reseal.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 08:00 AM

Removing the PUMP from the car is not that hard. I did it in about 1 hour. Getting the Pump apart is another story. After going through a rebuild, mine was so bad that I purchased a used one. My pump plate crumbled to pieces when I pulled it apart.

Anyways, living in Canada with salt, dirt and snow does a number on the pump. I am going to relocate it to the trunk. Looks like it will move there quite easily.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:22 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Just an update on mine. Took it in today, tech did a flash on the ACD module for $40 that didn't solve anything.. pump is dead (more likely in the process of dying) and needs replaced.

Dealership wouldn't cover it under the 5-year/36,000-mile powertrain warranty (I'm at 3yr/8mo and 28k miles.. and just had 30k service done there in December before bumper-to-bumper expired) and they won't even ask the regional Mitsu rep about it. Told me to call corporate.

Already reported the issue to NHTSA.gov and mailed out a letter to NCDSUSA.org for warranty arbitration. Just called corporate, and they've already assigned a case number.

Dealership wants just over $2000 for new pump, installed w/fluid & 1-year guarantee (will not seal new pump, and of course new pump will probably fail again in a another 3 years).

Just a note on the ACD flash I received. For now, it seems to have eliminated the "4WD SYSTEM SERVICE REQUIRED" message on the dash, and instead the tarmac/gravel/snow indicator will intermittently flash on and off, and the center S-AWC meter blanks out when the ACD pump shuts down. This, in my opinion, is much more dangerous than just having the ACD shut off and stay off. Not sure exactly how to describe the difference in steering response, traction and handling between off and on, but I can immediately tell the difference - especially in steering. These constant changes back and forth lead to an uneasy sense of unpredictability when driving (noticeable during normal driving, mind you).

Also, I'm not sure exactly what this ACD flash was suppose to accomplish.. but why in the hell didn't they flash it the last dozen times I was in there, if it's supposed to fix or prevent this issue?

And what logical person on earth would think "4WD Service Required" flashing on the dash would be something not covered by a powertrain warranty??

Apologize for the novel, but just very disheartened and mad as $&#@!

Off to post my awesome news in Iowa's ACD pump tally (LINK). Good luck all.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:04 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Sorry for the double-post. Just had to update my sig

Might as well stick something useful here anyway..

Just checked my paperwork, and today's ACD flash was TSB-SC11-002. Does anyone know the date this TSB was originally issued? 2011, right?

I have on multiple occasions requested that all service bulletins and/or most recent flashes be checked if needed (and this is stated as "up-to-date" on my DEC12 invoice, before the 3-year warranty went out). So why in the world wouldn't they have just flashed today's particular TSB back then? I'm pretty sure they already did a similar cold-weather flash back in early 2010 (different TSB number, though).

Kinda mad they jacked me for $40 and half my day for a flash that did nothing, that should've been applied preventatively back in 2012.

Last edited by AFD; Aug 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck in your quest for a warranty replacement. I had mine replaced under an extended warranty at ~84,887 miles (thought it was ~87k but just checked). That being said, I had thrown some codes much earlier than that - but they always self cleared (I'm talking much earlier... like around 50k miles). I really don't understand how it's not a powertrain issue (kinda seems like it's part of the transmission to me)... though I know a lot of other people on the boards posted that Mitsu told them the same thing.

Ironically enough, the dealer that fixed mine actually replaced the ECU first (control unit - 4WD). The notes say that they checked the relay and pump operation and test drove the car. I got the warning light again on the way home from the dealership (less than 20 miles away). The bills would have been 751.13 (parts and labor for the ECU) and 2048.97 (parts and labor for the pump) during the subsequent visit. I paid a $100 deductible thank god.

Before I move back up north (in SC now), I'll be looking to relocate my new pump into the trunk I think.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

This is a known issue for ralliarts and evos. My acd pump did the same and occasionally turned the 4wd system service required on and off before the pump totally died. I had the cold weather acd software update done 2 years ago but the software wont stop the corrosion from happening. It simply helps prolong the life of the motor in cold weather condition (mitsu techs, correct me if im wrong).

This is ridiculous in Mitsu part as Acd pump should have been part of powertrain warranty.

The pump must be badly engineered

Hope u win your case!

Last edited by spekil; Sep 1, 2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The pump, itself, was engineered fine; it's the same pump as they've been using for years without much if any problem. Putting it outside the body, directly behind a rear wheel, as they have on the USDM X, was moronic.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
The pump, itself, was engineered fine; it's the same pump as they've been using for years without much if any problem. Putting it outside the body, directly behind a rear wheel, as they have on the USDM X, was moronic.
I guess that's the problem.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:32 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spekil
Hope u win your case!
Thanks, it's getting replaced next week. I'll elaborate further at that time

Quick Reply: S-AWC weird issue - long drives and no DTC's