Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Read this before using Amsoil in your transmission

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been doing a bunch of research lately on what fluids to use since I recently hit 15,000 miles in my '14 GSR. I eventually ended up using OEM tranny fluid from my local dealership for $15.50 per quart. I know a lot of guys/gals on the forums recommend Amsoil for their trans and what not because of the quality and improvement over stock oils. Upon speaking personally to an Amsoil dealer based locally, I found that Amsoil doesn't actually recommend any of their products in both the GSR and MR transmissions post 2008. I didn't believe this right away, so I went onto the Amsoil website and did a product lookup using the year and make and all that stuff and here's what I found. Note: This can be found by anyone by pulling up the Amsoil website:

2014 MITSUBISHI LANCER 2.0L 4-cyl Engine Code [V] 4B11 Turbo LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS:
Engine Oil
Grade 1......SNMaximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)
Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)
Performance OE 5W30 Synthetic Motor Oil (OEFQT)
All TEMPS......5W-30
Below 50 F......0W-30, 0W-40
Manual Transmission,W5M6A (5-SPD)......GL-3
All TEMPS......75W-80 [1]
No AMSOIL Product Recommendation
Automatic Transmission,TC-SST......GLS [2]
Limited Slip Differential, Rear Torq Mechanism......SLF [3]
All TEMPS......
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT)
Limited Slip Differential, Rear AYC Dif. Mechanism......GLS [4]
All TEMPS......
Transfer Case,......GLS [4]
Fluids
Power Steering Fluid......PS
Power Steering Fluid (PSFCN) [5]
Brake Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [6]
Clutch Fluid......HB
AMSOIL Brake Fluid DOT-3 (BF3SN) [6]
[1] DiaQueen New Multi Gear Oil
[2] DIA QUEEN SSTF-1
[3] Mitsubishi Diamond SP-III ATF, or equivalent.
[4] Mitsubishi Diamond Queen LSD Gear Oil.
[5] Mitsubishi Power Steering Fluid or Diamond SP, SPIII
[6] Hydraulic Brake Fluid, DOT 3

FILTERS: Oil Filter Absolute Efficiency Oil Filter (EA15K20) [1] Oil Filter WIX 57092 Oil Filter

[1] Replaces the Ea15k46, which will still work for this vehicle

CHASSIS LUBRICATION: 0 Fittings, 0 Plugs

CAPACITIES: Engine, with filter..........5.4 quarts [1]
Cooling System, Initial Fill..........7.9 quarts
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant
Automatic Transmission, TC-SST Initial Fill..........Not Specified
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
6 speed TC-SST..........8 quarts
Manual Transmission, W5M6A (5-SPD)..........5.3 pints
Differential, AYC Dif. Mechan Rear..........1.1 pints
Differential, Torq Mechanism Rear..........1.1 pints
Transfer Case, ..........1.7 pints
[1] After refill check oil level.

TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug.....26-32 ft/lbs
Manual Transmission W5M6A (5-SPD)
Fill Plug 23-25 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 23-25 ft/lbs
Transfer Case
Fill Plug 23-25 ft/lbs
Drain Plug 23-25 ft/lbs
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I find that hard to believe if i emailed amsoil and asked what i should use for my gsr they would say none of there products would work. I personally use the evo cocktail which is redline i believe.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 04:39 PM
Evolving Member

If someone reading this would like to call Amsoil directly and ask a representative what the deal is that would be great. Otherwise I may just call and get some info myself. I mean the local Amsoil guy I spoke to told me this personally over the phone, via email, and also via web so I don't know.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't normally post but this thread scares me haha.

Recently switched to Amsoil MTG for my 30k mile maintenance. Even though, I don't feel much of a difference with shifting. It did give me a peace of mind knowing fresh fluids from a reputable company was inside my transmission. But I guess i'll look more into it and do a flush if needed. It wasn't difficult to flush and fill with the proper tools.

Last edited by Pandafx; Apr 29, 2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
There are tons of people useing it now i wouldnt worry about switching it back out. There is always a constant debate on what fluid is better. If you google it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
It's because the OE viscosity is 75w80, and amsoil is 75w90. That's the only reason they don't rec it. That is the only reason. The amsoil MTG works perfectly fine in the GSR trans, it has al the right additives, and thicker viscosity will help things live with more power, however shifting will be a bit more notchy when the trans is cold.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

This is the exact text message I received from an authorized Amsoil dealer:

Paul Ok. This was easy to verify. The trans in the Lancer requires a very special spec. I have never seen the GL 3 required. There is a very large amount of moly and extreme pressure additive in the fluid needed. And the 75w/80 is pretty unusual. Common only in Mit. Manual transes. Sorry but no Amsoil suitable. Use nothing but the oem fluid from dealer. NO Redline, Amsoil, only original. Now on motor oil, different situation. Couple of good options. I'll send you some info on email. Wish I could have supplied you with an upgraded gearlube. Watch for email from me.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:37 PM
EvoM Guru

GL3 has lower EP performance than GL4. You need to find a new amsoil dealer. Or listen to someone else.. You can't call it GL3 if it has a bunch of EP additives. Also, it most definitely doesn not have a ton of moly in, molybdemnum is a friction modifier, IE, it reduces friction. The synchros would not like that one bit..

GL-3
The designation API GL-3 denotes lubricants intended for manual transmissions operating under moderate to severe conditions and spiral-bevel axles operating under mild to moderate conditions of speed and load. These service conditions require a lubricant having load-carrying capacities exceeding those satisfying API GL-1 service but below the requirements of lubricants satisfying API GL-4 service.

GL-4
The designation API GL-4 denotes lubricants intended for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions of speed and load or axles with hypoid (see note)gears operating under moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications where MT-1 lubricants are unsuitable. The manufacturer's specific lubricant quality recommendations should be followed.

Last edited by letsgetthisdone; Apr 30, 2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old May 1, 2015, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Listen to someone else? This is word for word from the website:

Manual Transmission,W5M6A (5-SPD)......GL-3
All TEMPS......75W-80 [1]

[1] DiaQueen New Multi Gear Oil

That's directly from the Amsoil website when you look up products made by Amsoil that can be used in the Evo X transmissions. I'm not saying they don't have oil for the VIII or IX transmissions. Maybe they do. I only searched for the X.

I also spoke to a reputable service tech from a nearby dealership about the trans fluid. He said Mitsubishi "has moved away from the GL-3 classification" on their gear oil. I'm not too sure what he meant by that. Maybe because that classification has become obsolete according to the Machinery Lubrication website http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...lassifications

API-GL-3 describes the type of service characteristic of manual transmissions and spiral bevel axles operating under moderately severe conditions of speed and load beyond GL-2 but below GL-4. It may have mild EP agents but is not intended for hypoid gearing. This service designation is obsolete.

It also says this about GL-4 oils:

API-GL-4 relates to the type of service characteristics of gears, particularly hypoid gears operated under non-critical, moderate speed, shock load; high speed, low torque; and low speed, high torque conditions.

So my question is can we use GL-5 in our transmissions?

API-GL-5 designates the type of service characteristics of gears, particularly hypoid gears in passenger cars and other automotive equipment operated under high speed, shock load; high speed, low torque; and low speed, high torque conditions. This designation is still widely used for EP gear oils.
Old May 1, 2015, 09:19 AM
EvoM Guru

GL4 is what you want. There are no hypoid gears in the trans. The rear diff and tcase are hypoid gears and require gl5. Also, GL% is typically too slippery (to much EP additives) for manual transmissions, the synchros don't like it.

I know plenty of people running mutual gear 300, redline mt90, or amsoil mtg in the X box without issue. I really think it comes down to the weight of the oil mitsu wants.

Also, food for thought. ExtremePSI and MAPerformance list the diaqueen trans fluid for the 8/9/X, and so does Jacks on their websites..
Old May 1, 2015, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

This is the stuff you want to use in your transmission. Jack's definitely sell it for the cheapest price because they buy it by the drum in bulk. I paid $15.50/quart from my local dealership. It's part number MZ320195

Old May 5, 2015, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

I use the redline cocktail in the transmission, and stock diaqueen in the transfer case and rear diff.
Thumbs up on the redline cocktail.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Thomar
I use the redline cocktail in the transmission, and stock diaqueen in the transfer case and rear diff.
Thumbs up on the redline cocktail.
What's redlin cocktail?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Half half. I did one bottle MTL and the rest Mt 90.
Attached Thumbnails Read this before using Amsoil in your transmission-img_20150405_120349.jpg  
Old Jun 4, 2015, 08:22 PM

Oh I see. I just used all redline. I also used shock proof. For my diff and trasnfer case No issues here.

Quick Reply: Read this before using Amsoil in your transmission