Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Engine System Service Required Error

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine System Service Required Error

I have a 2011 GSR, with cat-back exahust and CAI only. My car was recently broken into and had the aftermarket navigation ripped from the dash. So it was at my insurance companies shop or their trusted service partners shop.(The reason I preface with this is I wonder if the car was run hard during its time there)

After I got it back two weeks ago everything seemed fine, then on a drive in the morning the engine seemed to lose power for half a second, then kick back on. The Center Dash screen displayed a red exclamation point with the text "Engine System Service Required" underneath along with a chime. At the time I didn't think to much of it. It happened again later that day. I decided to take it to the dealer after it happened the following monday, problem happened on a friday. Dealer said the computer showed no errors, to check for it again and bring it back.

Two days later it happened again, so I brought it back again. This time I was told the same thing, and that the tech called Mitsubishi in Cali who stated it may be a wheel spin/traction or weather issue. I have had this car for over two years now and it has never done this, and when these errors came up I was not spinning wheels but driving normally. Once it happened shifting from third to fourth, and again in First gear leaving a light making a turn.

Almost a week went by from the last visit with no issues, then this morning the error came up again twice once in third and again in first. From taking a look at the manual the error is due to a problem with the timing chain, however the dealer stated that this is not a timing chain issue.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so was there a resolution?

Thanks
Old May 15, 2013, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would take it to another dealer and get a second opinion. We all know that these cars have been known for timing chain stretch issues, however if you said it felt like it lost power for a second it is very possible it was traction control kicking in. For all we know you may have a wheel speed sensor dropping out and causing the car to think it's losing traction. (however I'm just shooting in the dark right now from what information you are providing and what the dealer is saying.)
Old May 15, 2013, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

any codes?
Old May 15, 2013, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
any codes?
No codes, computer is clean of codes.
Old May 15, 2013, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ask the dealer if they actually read the value of the "stretch" code that is stored in the ECU. If you temporarily go over the limit of stretch, it will throw a P0012 and give you that exclamation-point symbol. But, as soon as you turn the car off and then turn it back to accessory to attach a tool, if the current stretch is below the limit, the code will be cleared. But if they actually read the current stretch value, then they'll see that the chain is right on the edge (if that is, indeed, the problem).

Now, the following is not recommended, but I've read (somewhere) that it's been done: when you get the warning, attach a scan-tool and get the code with the car still running. If it's a P0012, then it's a chain on the edge.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 05:23 AM

Same Issue

I literally just experienced your same issue in my 2011 GSR it was about 40 degrees outside i started up my car drove 3 miles and the that red madness came up reading the same thing you described, have you had any luck with this issue yett? or has it caused any damage to your Evo?
Old May 4, 2022, 05:54 PM

did you find your fault? i am experiencing the same problem
Old May 6, 2022, 02:25 PM

Have you found the problem yet? I’m experiencing the same issue with my 2013 evo x GSR
Old May 6, 2022, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Misael29
did you find your fault? i am experiencing the same problem
Do you know what the issue is now? I’m experiencing the same problem on my 2013 Evo X GSR