Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking about switching out the exhaust to ETS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking about switching out the exhaust to ETS

Hello all,

I have the 2014 Evo x MR and currently have the Greddy Evo 3 catback installed on the x.
I was thinking about switching out the exhaust to ETS V2 Extreme edition.
I found out that there are two versions of the midpipe section for the V2 Extreme.
One with optional resonator on the midpipe and one without.
Would the optional resonator make any difference when it comes to droning when cruising on highway?
Will it tone down the noise a little with the resonator?
It is just that I want louder exhaust than the Greddy Evo 3.
Oh, and do I have to order the exhaust with Adapter Flange?
Please note that I still have the stock cat/downpipe and no plan to go with HFC or testpipe yet.

Some people might say that the extreme edition might be too loud, however I used own the Infiniti FX with high flow intake, plenum spacer, test pipe and Invidia Cat Back so as long as the noise level is similar to my previous car setup, it is tolerable for me.
If not, please let me know if the ETS V2 Regular is the better choice for me.

Lastly, which setup will have more drone to it?
ETS V2 Regular (with stock cat/downpipe) vs. ETS V2 Extreme with optional resonator on midpipe (with stock cat/downpipe)

OR
Just go with ETS V2 Quiet for peace of mind lol

Thank you all in advance and vendors are welcome to PM me for pricing and suggestions.

Last edited by gkswhdl88; Jan 28, 2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive had ARK DT-s thought it was too quiet and went for the quite version of the ETS catback. it was a little louder than ARK but after i installed downpipe and testpipe exhaust got dramatically louder as if it was a different car. i was debating between the standard and the quiet version but since im from southern california and didnt want undesired attention from the officers i went with the quiet. extreme is way too loud i think.. lol

i might just buy the extreme and switch it out just for to satisfy my modding temptations.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:01 AM

V2 extreme is loud. Remember, loud is also a relative term but it is louder than a normal exhaust. Lol. There is drone at 3k rpm highway speed. Not sure how quiet the resonator would make it but I do not think it will make a significant difference. You still have the stock cat so it won't be as loud as it would be with a test pipe. You will need an adapter flange and ets provides one as an option. Good luck!! I'm sure you will enjoy the sound any route you go.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:18 AM

Thank you guys for your inputs
I am leaning more toward with ETS V2 Regular with resonator on midpipe.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by gkswhdl88
Thank you guys for your inputs
I am leaning more toward with ETS V2 Regular with resonator on midpipe.
i dont have resonator on my quiet version but i have a testpipe. it sounds good from the outside but quiet enough to keep a convo going and listen to music on the freeway. i wonder how the standard version would sound..
Old Jan 31, 2015, 02:07 PM

Ets is awsome just a little too loud for my taste. I went with a single ams
Old Jan 31, 2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by symawd
Ets is awsome just a little too loud for my taste. I went with a single ams
How's the single AMS exhaust?
How loud is it and is there a lot of drone?
I was also looking into the single AMS as well.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

I have the ETS Extreme with the test pipe and AMS wide mouth downpipe. I dont have a single resonator or muffler, or cat's for that matter.

It is LOUD. I'm coming from a Invidia N1 Race quipped STI (effectively a straight pipe), and I can say that holy **** it is a loud exhaust. Theres no point when it quiets down if your foot is on the gas. Don't get me wrong, it sounds epic. I'm considering getting the ETS regular axle back to add some balance because right now I sound like a dumped F250.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

I have the ETS quiet version coupled with a high flow cat and an AMS widemouth downpipe. If you use your car for a DD this is probably about as loud as you would want it to be, sometimes I wish it was slightly less lod. Yesterday I had a guy sitting in an office building ask me about my car when I walked in, because it was loud enough to draw his attention from whatever he was working on; that is about as much attention as I personally would want (if not a little less). When driving on the freeway and what not, it is still fairly loud and people in your car have to speak up slightly to carry on a conversation. The quiet version sounds deep and still fairly aggressive, especially when you give it some throttle. I would imagine the extreme version to be a little over the top.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
I have the ETS quiet version coupled with a high flow cat and an AMS widemouth downpipe. If you use your car for a DD this is probably about as loud as you would want it to be, sometimes I wish it was slightly less lod. Yesterday I had a guy sitting in an office building ask me about my car when I walked in, because it was loud enough to draw his attention from whatever he was working on; that is about as much attention as I personally would want (if not a little less). When driving on the freeway and what not, it is still fairly loud and people in your car have to speak up slightly to carry on a conversation. The quiet version sounds deep and still fairly aggressive, especially when you give it some throttle. I would imagine the extreme version to be a little over the top.
Mine would have made him jump and spill his coffee all over himself, while ratting his desk.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 02:54 PM

Extreme ftw
Old Feb 1, 2015, 05:50 PM

I'm not sure if the OP already bought an exhaust but just in case anyone else is interested, here's my opinion:

I would definitely look into the quiet edition-it's NOT quiet lol. It's not extremely loud either, but it's definitely louder than the stock exhaust. I think ETS should've renamed the exhausts to "Loud, Louder, Loudest." instead of "quiet, regular, extreme." lol.

Also, try to get the opportunity to hear these exhausts in person because youtube videos never do any justice.

The Extreme would be incredibly loud for a daily driver and the cops would give you tickets anytime you're on the road because you can hear an evo with an extreme exhaust within a 3 mile radius. (joke obviously, but you get the point.)
Old Feb 1, 2015, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

I would go with either the ETS Quiet (if you have kids, sensitive wife) for noise concerns or the ETS regular. The ETS Extreme is a straight pipe exhaust and will be extremely loud. You would get annoyed of the sound after one round trip on the freeway lol.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 04:26 AM

I haven't purchased the exhaust yet.
But leaning towards the V2 regular with resonator on midpipe since I am sticking with stock cat/dp.
Thank you all for your inputs!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

I have a top speed pro-1 exhaust on my Evo. I originally had it installed with the test pipe it came with and later I put a resonated test pipe in place. I still have the stock turbo/downpipe on my car. The pro-1 is very close to the extreme in construction. There are two tiny (6" or so) bottle resonators that they use as mufflers immediately up stream of each exhaust tip.

Straight through exhausts sound EPIC when you are on it and are great for a once in a while "fun" car. I've had mine installed for about a year now, and I've finally ordered something different (full race's single exit which is supposed to be fairly quiet). If you use your car for prolonged daily driving, you will end up hating yourself. At a minimum I would get the resonated mid pipe. I can't have a conversation with someone who is sitting in the back seat of my car if I'm in the "drone" band (3k - 4k ish RPM). Engine braking is also VERY loud (and awesome).

I let my roommate borrow my X last week and I beat him into the office one of the days. I could hear him as he approached the (rather massive) site that we work at. I had direct line of site and I could hear him before I could see him drive past the tree line on the highway outside the site (over a mile away). Edit: and yes I was inside my office which has a window that faces the road.

I would get the quiet. I've heard that one in person and it's not "quiet" but much better than straight through for DD.

Last edited by PSUfan1; Feb 2, 2015 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about switching out the exhaust to ETS