Notices
EvoM New Member / FAQs / EvoM Rules New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the evolutionm.net posse :) FAQs will also be answered in here.

Yet another Evo 8 vs 9/gsr vs MR [rolles eyes]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet another Evo 8 vs 9/gsr vs MR [rolles eyes]

I've searched this forum and import atlanta and a few other evo related forums that are reputable but it seems that no one has asked the question that I have specifically.

So I read the differences between the 8 vs the 9 and GSR vs MR and the question I need answered is this:

I'm looking to buy an EVO at the end of the month and I have around 20k to play with (CASH). I want to get something that will enable me to get 500+HP reliably without killing a diff or tranny (if this isn't possible on the stock diff or tranny then I accept that). This car will be an occasional driver....maybe a track day maybe a drag run......NOT an every weekend thing. I'm looking for something that will be enjoyable to drive but if I want to put a foot in someone's @$$ then I have the ability (and power) to do so.

Some background on the cars I've owned. I had a 98 ITR with a few mods (one of first people in GA with Bronze wheels Volks in 98/99 if not the first I think) and then I had a 98 JDM ITR motor in a 93 Civic...that car was heavily modded but I sold it to get a house and briefly owned a SRT-4 before a Deer helped me decide it wasn't the car for me.

I was dead set on buying an MR (I like having the top line of whatever vehicle I own...I know in the EVO's case that may not help me). I was also dead set on getting the ACD/Mivec and 6speed but it seems there maybe some tuning/modification challenges with those 3 features I was looking for.

I have been out of the car scene for a while and I'm looking for a little guidance.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

And yes I have done a search but it seems people either have modest HP goals (Bolt-on's suffice) or they want to rule the world (stroked 2.4 litre fire breathing dragons). I'd say I'm right in the middle.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any car is good as long as u mod it right... its all about how much u looking to spend in mods u can get a 8 and put lik 6 k in it and have about 500 wheel. so good luck to what ever u get and have fun
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

It seems from what I have read that a ix GSR or RS would be good for you. THe 6 speed tranny is only meant to be good for 400-450 WHP. I personally think the Mivec is an advantage, but you certainly can achieve your goals with an viii. Good luck.

I'd take the GSR because not having power windows is a pain.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I never considered the RS because it seems like more of a purist boy racer and as much I'd hate to admit it I do like some creature comforts....my Wife's Lexus IS has spoiled me. If the MR tranny can handle 450....I may have to lower my Hp goals slightly...I do hwy drive and although I plan on not driving it work as beyond once or twice a week weather permitting or if I have to get the kids, plus I may drive it to Canada (relatives) once in a blue moon.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:15 PM

Mine is like I have said in the for sale thread GREAT condition but I am in Texas and its 21.5k I will drop it down to 21 even for the shipping. If not in my opinion the GSR evo 9 would be the car your looking for you can hold 400-500hp safe the MR you know the tranny and the RS has no goodies.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:17 PM

You really can achieve your goals with either car as others have mentioned it really depends on what you would like to spend. A very good friend of mine has a n 06 MR and is currently running about 495 WHP, with about 10k in the car. I have an 04 VIII GSR, and have around 600 WHP right now getting the bottom end built right now for the 700's... I have owned my car since the showroom floor, and i have to admit that my preferance is the VIII. Not just cause I own it, but the 5speed tranny can hold a lot more horse safely and no MIVEC obviously requires considerably less technical or specialized equipment and easier to tune.. I ran my car for over a year with the stock tranny and LSD and had no problems whatsoever. I only am building the tranny and LSD now that the 4G is getting built... Both are funtastic automobiles and I think you will be extremely happy either way you go!!!! Welcome to the EVOTASTIC world!!!
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

WhiteATX you have mail.

jmcevo1 how much have you invested already? I may change over the years but for now those are my goals.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:34 PM

currently I have about 20k invested, but that is considering that it has has Tanabe coilovers, carbon hood, trunk, fenders, Volk RE30'S, and that number will include the bottom end build, jacks tranny, quaf LSD, Sparco seats, AMS VSR intake mani, NX intercooler mister.... I have really spared no expense on any of the products I have put into this car. I wanted a mid 500's WHP car that had the possibility of 700's with a change in boost that would be as reliable as a car with that much horse could be.. Plus my preferred mode of race is time attack, so when I take her to the track I tune her about 450 WHP. But have put a lot of the money into the suspension and its ability to move around the track quickly and not just in a straight line.. But obviously it has very few competitors in a straight line with WHP capabilities it does have...
Old Apr 5, 2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by jmcevo1
currently I have about 20k invested, but that is considering that it has has Tanabe coilovers, carbon hood, trunk, fenders, Volk RE30'S, and that number will include the bottom end build, jacks tranny, quaf LSD, Sparco seats, AMS VSR intake mani, NX intercooler mister.... I have really spared no expense on any of the products I have put into this car. I wanted a mid 500's WHP car that had the possibility of 700's with a change in boost that would be as reliable as a car with that much horse could be.. Plus my preferred mode of race is time attack, so when I take her to the track I tune her about 450 WHP. But have put a lot of the money into the suspension and its ability to move around the track quickly and not just in a straight line.. But obviously it has very few competitors in a straight line with WHP capabilities it does have...
Can I see your car .. ???? sorry newb here.. seems like a really nice evo
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:40 AM

I will absolutelty love to show my car, I get it back from Carz Performance in about a week and a half!!! ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY LUCAS!!! I would be proud to send and post some pics of her its been a long hard road and this should pretty much bring a two and a half year build to conclusion! The pics I know currently on the web are if you are a mamber of facebook under my girlfriends page: Michell Turner. Or if you are a member of Myspace there are some old ones on mine Corey Fortey.. As soon as I get her back I post a bunch on here!

Originally Posted by 1.8turboaudi
Can I see your car .. ???? sorry newb here.. seems like a really nice evo