Notices
Future Lancer / Evo Models Discuss any rumors and/or news concerning future Lancer and Evolution models in here.

No Recaro's for the upcoming 2015 Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitusbishi sells a lot more than just cars in US.

If they were to pull out, they will still provide warranty work, unless they want to jeopardize sale of other products in US.

Simiar to SUZUKI/

Originally Posted by bikerbud76
thats what the dealership says. I realize that as long as mitsu stays in the US market.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
2015 mustangs have Recaro's as an option still. It's not because of safety regulations, its because mitsu didn't want to develop an air bag seat...
Old Nov 20, 2014, 04:51 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
2015 mustangs have Recaro's as an option still. It's not because of safety regulations, its because mitsu didn't want to develop an air bag seat...
Why can't they just put the airbags in the doors? Does it must be in the seat?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 01:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gtr
Why can't they just put the airbags in the doors? Does it must be in the seat?
Yes. Safety regulations dictate airbags at certain positions to prevent very specific types of injuries.

I saw the 2015 Evo X at the LA Auto Show, and I cried inside. Made me wish I didn't sell my 2008 Evo X. Even if it's cloth, it's at least recaros.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessRed
Yes. Safety regulations dictate airbags at certain positions to prevent very specific types of injuries.

I saw the 2015 Evo X at the LA Auto Show, and I cried inside. Made me wish I didn't sell my 2008 Evo X. Even if it's cloth, it's at least recaros.
Same here, I waited 4 months before i purchased my EVO X just because I wanted 15 EVO X. When I found out they didnt come with Recaros....... I purchased a 14 EVO X that same week.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder how much of the safety improvement is actually real vs checking off boxes with NHTSA. For instance, the Audi RS4 racing seats tested safer than the standard S4 recaros in Europe because of the heavy side bolstering, but in the US they downgraded the seats because the race seats didn't have side airbags, and that checks off a box for the government.

I'd imagine the Evo Recaros add significant safety because you're already being restrained by a giant bolster.

-n.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osunick
I wonder how much of the safety improvement is actually real vs checking off boxes with NHTSA. For instance, the Audi RS4 racing seats tested safer than the standard S4 recaros in Europe because of the heavy side bolstering, but in the US they downgraded the seats because the race seats didn't have side airbags, and that checks off a box for the government.

I'd imagine the Evo Recaros add significant safety because you're already being restrained by a giant bolster.

-n.
You know, its NHTSA, lots of drum beats for barely anything.
Altho they have to justify tax payer money with something, you know.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Eh, NHTSA's saved a lot of lives. Despite greater congestion and higher speed limits, there are 5x fewer vehicle deaths per mile than in 1985. I've been a manager and executive at publicly traded companies, and I've observed that quarterly earnings cycles lead to very short sighted decisions. Regulations are important- see that C&D article about how cars in India from big name manufacturers turn into suicide booths in low speed crashes?

This decision is likely dumb but I like my airbag laws.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 03:43 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
the Recaros have airbags in them already

I think it is because the 2015 model year is only in North America, and I know for a fact that Mitsubishi quit producing that seat and related parts last year.

I needed to get a piece for one for a customer (the inserts). It was not even available to order anymore. However, Mitsubishi Japan was kind enough to get out their old plastic mold and make me a pair. It took about 5-6 weeks to get, and it came from japan in a plastic bag, with a staple across the top and some note in Japanese
Old Feb 12, 2015, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by osunick
Eh, NHTSA's saved a lot of lives. Despite greater congestion and higher speed limits, there are 5x fewer vehicle deaths per mile than in 1985. I've been a manager and executive at publicly traded companies, and I've observed that quarterly earnings cycles lead to very short sighted decisions. Regulations are important- see that C&D article about how cars in India from big name manufacturers turn into suicide booths in low speed crashes?

This decision is likely dumb but I like my airbag laws.
There is no doubt that NHTSA saved a lot of lives with regulation, but I am not a fan of overregulation, and in some ways its heading that way.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:37 PM

Recaros or bust, is what I say.
Old May 13, 2015, 07:49 PM

Good thing Canada still has the Recaros for the 2015 evo's.
Old May 14, 2015, 08:24 PM

lame but i guess they are just a look thing.
Old May 25, 2015, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ThreeCeeDown
Recaros or bust, is what I say.
Agreed, i mean damn
Old Jun 7, 2015, 04:08 PM

When I sat in one at the Miami International Auto Show I was shocked. I thought there was something wrong with the one they brought to the show. It looks so cheap without them.

Quick Reply: No Recaro's for the upcoming 2015 Evo X