Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Evo swap into 02 lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2009, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turbolancer954
I really need help making the decision between swapping an evo motor into my 02 lancer or just forgetting about it and getting a new car. I have a mechanic that said he will do the whole evo swap and labor and everything for 6500 all hes gonna do is weld shut the transfercase so it will still be a FWD lancer just with the evo motor. However I know some people that are very car smart and they just keep telling me not to do it and its not worth it and just get a honda and build that. But ever since i got my lancer 2 years ago ive been wanting to do something crazy like the evo swap, so it makes me wanna keep the lancer and pay for the swap. Let me know what you all think, all advice is appreciated.
two words... do it...
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imalancerman
Once again, I ask again in this thread, find me a couple of unmolested evos for, wait, 12k now? Oh lol good luck. Whats the point of having a 600 HP honda civic? They exist because people were looking for a good, cheap, project car. Civic owners started off the same way we do, underpowered fwd cars. Then they pioneered engine swaps and engine mods. Now a civic is one of the best, cheap tuner cars to build because of the gigantic aftermarket availability for it. Its a project you want to do and build. I would love to have an evo, dont get me wrong. I love the platform and would love to get the opportunity to build one. But I dont have one, I have a lancer, and thats what Im building. The facts are that a lancer is cheaper to build, and things like car payments and insurance are cheaper as well. I know people on here that have picked up clean titled lancers for what, 800 bucks? Plus, I think the lancer community tends to be a lot more helpful and creative than other communities. Anyways, in response to the guy above this one, the engines are actually quite stout as they are closed deck iron blocks, but your right about the rods and pistons. But its really not that expensive anymore to get forged rods and pistons. Maybe a little more than some other platforms, but not bad. Either way, Im very satisfied with my platform and cant wait for future developments.
VERY WELL SAID!

Originally Posted by TheShortBus
in my opinion dont waist your money on the swap. if the guy whos going to work on your car is as good as you say, just get him to build you a nice turbo set up for your motor now. the main week link in your motor is your pistons and rods though, so just build your motor up a bit and run 15-17psi.

now i peeked my 16g turbo on stock internals at 15 all day long and somehow managed not to break anything, but i wouldnt suggest doing that at all...

if you are truly looking for more power out of your car just turbo it. you will run into more problems and spend wayyyy more on the swap.

that or like you said get a honda and build the crap out it.

but either way your still going to be trying to put alot of power on a fwd thats not to mint to handle that, so if you do to much more than likely something else will break and more money is spent... i know all to well first hand. but still its an on going thing so to all his own.
Have YOU invested serious thought into the designs and builds of the mitusbishi motor? they ARE better than a honda motor. until you have worked on swaps on mitsu's or learned a better way to ACT like you know what and WHY you're saying what you're saying...just leave your post at "just buy an evo". Let those that think outside the box do what REAL TUNERS do best...and thats find new ways to keep the lifestyle/scene that you're in ALIVE.

Originally Posted by imalancerman
I do agree with you on this. Our cars dont have alot of aftermarket support for some things that are necessary for high HP. But I think if we show them that we do want to build our cars, and are capable of higher HP than we have been in the past, we will effectively peak their interest in building us a larger aftermarket.
Originally Posted by darkmitsu
two words... do it...
i concur.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i agree with rpm
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throughout this post I will mention the Evo, all mentions of EVO are pertaining to the 2003-2007 Evolution VIII and 4G63 engine.
I grow tired of people who say it cant be done or you might as well by an evo. I ask a simple question, how many of you people who say these things have actually done the research?
I for one have been studying the lancer (I've owned a lancer for 7 years) and evo for several years now. The swap is possible (anything is possible when you have the money) and is in reality quite simple and cheaper than you think. By my estimates it may take around 5k to do the swap, that is equipment only, I plan on doing the swap myself not paying someone else to.
For starters many of your stock parts will work with the 4G63, the body of the lancer and the evo are almost identical with the few exceptions of body panels, bumpers, you get the idea. The only difference in the unibody is the way the rear end is built. By this I mean the evo rear end is built to accomodate a differential an beefed up to handle torque output. Also the evo has a "saddlebag" fuel tank which is mounted above the driveshaft. This fuel tank has 2 fuel pumps. The base lancer can accept this same fuel tank with a little fabrication work and already has a tunnel down the middle of the vehicle to accept a driveshaft (where do you think your exhaust pipe is).
As far as mounting a 4G63 into your base lancer, it's a drop-in situation. All motor mounts and transmission mounts are in the exact same places and the 4G94 and 4G63 use the same crossmember(engine cradle). You will of course have to reinforce the passenger side motor mount. You will also have to custom make intercooler piping. Dont forget to get the evo MAF either.
As for wiring, also simple. The PCM connector in the lancer and evo are the exact same shape. Of course you will have to do some re-pinning in the connector to have the right outputs and inputs for the evo PCM but that is simple.
You will have to go from a 4-lug wheel to a 5-lug wheel. This is because the 4-lug just wont handle the increased power output, as you will more than likely snap the studs off the wheel bearing after a few hard take offs. Heres what you do, get an evo wheel bearing and hub, this will replace the stock components on the steering knuckle on your base lancer but dont forget to get the evo CV axle. YOU CAN use the stock suspension but I do recommend an upgrade such as the K-sport K-Pro coilover kit(rides wonderfully).
Dont worry about emission inspections either. The base 2003-2007 lancer and evo DO NOT have the VIN # in the PCM so I suggest going with those year models. However, I suggest that if you do the swap to get equipment from the same year model as your base lancer or newer. Also try to get as many of the underhood emmisions, belt, and vacuum hose routing labels from the same year vehicle to make it look more legit. Visual inspection may be a problem, depending on where you live. In big cities inspection stations tend to have state employees doing the inspection. Now you will pass emissions but you wont pass visual. These guys know what engine belongs in what. Better off taking it to a place in a small town to get inspected.

I personally plan on doing this swap in my 03 lancer. It will be the first swap I have attempted but the thing is I have done enough research that I am confident in what I have said above and believe I can have it done in a week or two. Of course I will have to have help (Im new to swapping), Im not claiming to know everything. Im sure I may have forgotten a few tidbit but if you have any questions just let me know.

For all who want to "Nay-say" the whole idea, please dont comment. This thread was meant for those who actually want to do this. Negative comments or "Just buy an evo" comments are not needed.

Power to the Lancer!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerIsGo
Throughout this post I will mention the Evo, all mentions of EVO are pertaining to the 2003-2007 Evolution VIII and 4G63 engine.
I grow tired of people who say it cant be done or you might as well by an evo. I ask a simple question, how many of you people who say these things have actually done the research?
I for one have been studying the lancer (I've owned a lancer for 7 years) and evo for several years now. The swap is possible (anything is possible when you have the money) and is in reality quite simple and cheaper than you think. By my estimates it may take around 5k to do the swap, that is equipment only, I plan on doing the swap myself not paying someone else to.
For starters many of your stock parts will work with the 4G63, the body of the lancer and the evo are almost identical with the few exceptions of body panels, bumpers, you get the idea. The only difference in the unibody is the way the rear end is built. By this I mean the evo rear end is built to accomodate a differential an beefed up to handle torque output. Also the evo has a "saddlebag" fuel tank which is mounted above the driveshaft. This fuel tank has 2 fuel pumps. The base lancer can accept this same fuel tank with a little fabrication work and already has a tunnel down the middle of the vehicle to accept a driveshaft (where do you think your exhaust pipe is).
As far as mounting a 4G63 into your base lancer, it's a drop-in situation. All motor mounts and transmission mounts are in the exact same places and the 4G94 and 4G63 use the same crossmember(engine cradle). You will of course have to reinforce the passenger side motor mount. You will also have to custom make intercooler piping. Dont forget to get the evo MAF either.
As for wiring, also simple. The PCM connector in the lancer and evo are the exact same shape. Of course you will have to do some re-pinning in the connector to have the right outputs and inputs for the evo PCM but that is simple.
You will have to go from a 4-lug wheel to a 5-lug wheel. This is because the 4-lug just wont handle the increased power output, as you will more than likely snap the studs off the wheel bearing after a few hard take offs. Heres what you do, get an evo wheel bearing and hub, this will replace the stock components on the steering knuckle on your base lancer but dont forget to get the evo CV axle. YOU CAN use the stock suspension but I do recommend an upgrade such as the K-sport K-Pro coilover kit(rides wonderfully).
Dont worry about emission inspections either. The base 2003-2007 lancer and evo DO NOT have the VIN # in the PCM so I suggest going with those year models. However, I suggest that if you do the swap to get equipment from the same year model as your base lancer or newer. Also try to get as many of the underhood emmisions, belt, and vacuum hose routing labels from the same year vehicle to make it look more legit. Visual inspection may be a problem, depending on where you live. In big cities inspection stations tend to have state employees doing the inspection. Now you will pass emissions but you wont pass visual. These guys know what engine belongs in what. Better off taking it to a place in a small town to get inspected.

I personally plan on doing this swap in my 03 lancer. It will be the first swap I have attempted but the thing is I have done enough research that I am confident in what I have said above and believe I can have it done in a week or two. Of course I will have to have help (Im new to swapping), Im not claiming to know everything. Im sure I may have forgotten a few tidbit but if you have any questions just let me know.

For all who want to "Nay-say" the whole idea, please dont comment. This thread was meant for those who actually want to do this. Negative comments or "Just buy an evo" comments are not needed.

Power to the Lancer!
I have personally done the swap so my input here holds more bearing than what anyone else can say at this time... now in saying that, this is what I think... I don't recommend this swap for anyone. It is a lot harder than what this guy thinks, and it will not take him 'a week or two' like he says. It's more like several months, if not at least a year. The amount of fabrication required is beyond most of the people on here in my honest opinion... and I'm not even saying that to discourage anyone. Just understand that if you are doing this by yourself, be prepared to feel overwhelmed by this project.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MarkOJ1011
I have personally done the swap so my input here holds more bearing than what anyone else can say at this time... now in saying that, this is what I think... I don't recommend this swap for anyone. It is a lot harder than what this guy thinks, and it will not take him 'a week or two' like he says. It's more like several months, if not at least a year. The amount of fabrication required is beyond most of the people on here in my honest opinion... and I'm not even saying that to discourage anyone. Just understand that if you are doing this by yourself, be prepared to feel overwhelmed by this project.
I am well aware of the fabrication that it would take to make it AWD but Im not planning on making it AWD, I plan on keeping it FWD. Yes I will have a lot of traction problems from a dead stop but from a rolling start the traction problems will be minimal. Chances are that I would pretty much keep the engine in stock condition, with the traction problems it wont make much sense to actually modify and up the HP/TQ.
As someone who has done the swap I will take what you have said into consideration and may even ask you a few questions if you are willing to answer them. Im not trying to sound like I know everything and I know it wont be easy as pie, I just feel confident enough to do it. I look forward to challenging myself.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

I am well aware of the fabrication that it would take to make it AWD but Im not planning on making it AWD, I plan on keeping it FWD. Yes I will have a lot of traction problems from a dead stop but from a rolling start the traction problems will be minimal. Chances are that I would pretty much keep the engine in stock condition, with the traction problems it wont make much sense to actually modify and up the HP/TQ.
As someone who has done the swap I will take what you have said into consideration and may even ask you a few questions if you are willing to answer them. Im not trying to sound like I know everything and I know it wont be easy as pie, I just feel confident enough to do it. I look forward to challenging myself.
Not entirely true. I do not have an evo motor but I am basically pushing the same whp that a stock evo does and let me tell you. YOU WILL HAVE TRACTION ISSUES EVEN FROM A ROLL!!! Its true ANY little bit of moisture on the road and all I have to do is lay into the throttle in third and it will break free and spin to rev limit no problem. 1st and 2nd will do this even if its dry and 95 degrees. Of course if you plan on an LSD, then and ONLY then will traction even from a roll be minimal.

Just my two cents
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:17 PM

The more information I get the better. Its actually nice to have people give info in a way that is not condensending, however, I still plan on doing the swap. As determined as I am, believe me when I say I will find a way to bring the traction problem down, even with the FWD.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Well if I was spending $6500

I would use that for an salvaged 2003 evo 8 and just get like 4-5 k loan for a 5 year plan becuase I paid 4500 for my lancer which is about 154 a month for a 5 year loan which is cheap and my insurance would be 250 a month becuase my age. But heres the case

I DONT HAVE MONEY SAVED UP FOR A CAR

so im pretty much just building my motor and making it look somewhat to an evo, im proud of my lancer just because all the stuff I have learned so heres my thought

if you plan on pushing 350-400 hp keep the lancer you will have to beef up your suspension and get some really good slicks your traction wont be as bad. plus at this level any hp higher will result in more custom parts = more money spent...

if you plan on pushing more than 400 hp I would buy an evo all you need is a bigger turbo, exhuast, injectors and Turbo manifold and you can push 400 easily and keep the motor stock. and if you beef up the motor then your hp is kinda unlimited from there except of course more parts = more money but this will be more beneficial later in the future.

im choosing my lancer right now because my funds and yes the lancer is cheaper and a better platform to learn off, I know once I reach the limits of my car eventually we will have to part and I will have to get something that will meet my needs. Be smart with your money thats all I can say, once I get my motor I will be satisfied with 330 hp in my lancer and with a 2700 pound weight class its more the better!!!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by steven121
Well if I was spending $6500

I would use that for an salvaged 2003 evo 8 and just get like 4-5 k loan for a 5 year plan becuase I paid 4500 for my lancer which is about 154 a month for a 5 year loan which is cheap and my insurance would be 250 a month becuase my age. But heres the case

I DONT HAVE MONEY SAVED UP FOR A CAR

so im pretty much just building my motor and making it look somewhat to an evo, im proud of my lancer just because all the stuff I have learned so heres my thought

if you plan on pushing 350-400 hp keep the lancer you will have to beef up your suspension and get some really good slicks your traction wont be as bad. plus at this level any hp higher will result in more custom parts = more money spent...

if you plan on pushing more than 400 hp I would buy an evo all you need is a bigger turbo, exhuast, injectors and Turbo manifold and you can push 400 easily and keep the motor stock. and if you beef up the motor then your hp is kinda unlimited from there except of course more parts = more money but this will be more beneficial later in the future.

im choosing my lancer right now because my funds and yes the lancer is cheaper and a better platform to learn off, I know once I reach the limits of my car eventually we will have to part and I will have to get something that will meet my needs. Be smart with your money thats all I can say, once I get my motor I will be satisfied with 330 hp in my lancer and with a 2700 pound weight class its more the better!!!

Money isnt quite the issue here. Im 25 and have relatively low insurance. Plus Im a speaking of a 4G63 swap if you didnt notice. I am aware of the problems, I am aware of the difficulties. I dont plan on building a 400hp monster out of this thing, I just want to put a 4G63 in it. I'll more than likely keep the engine stock and Maybe add a few small bolt on's that wont equate to much power. I wont start modding it heavily until I can solve the traction issue. Once I start this project it wont be my daily driver either, I'll have another car to beat around in.

I do have a question though for steven121. What is the significance of using the oem evo 9 intercooler piping? Why couldnt you use evo 8 piping? Is there a difference between the two? Why is it you chose the evo 9 to begin with, is it flexible or something?

Heres the thing that seperates me from the rest, I have resolve to do something different.

Last edited by LancerIsGo; Jan 29, 2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: question
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Money isnt quite the issue here. Im 25 and have relatively low insurance. Plus Im a speaking of a 4G63 swap if you didnt notice. I am aware of the problems, I am aware of the difficulties. I dont plan on building a 400hp monster out of this thing, I just want to put a 4G63 in it. I'll more than likely keep the engine stock and Maybe add a few small bolt on's that wont equate to much power. I wont start modding it heavily until I can solve the traction issue. Once I start this project it wont be my daily driver either, I'll have another car to beat around in.

I do have a question though for steven121. What is the significance of using the oem evo 9 intercooler piping? Why couldnt you use evo 8 piping? Is there a difference between the two? Why is it you chose the evo 9 to begin with, is it flexible or something?

Heres the thing that seperates me from the rest, I have resolve to do something different.

I was aware you were doing a swap, I should have reworded it. Personally I would not do it but thats your opinion. Like we all said if time and money is not an issue then DO IT.

there is no difference between the intercooling piping, I bought the first thing I saw on craigslist for 80 bucks
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Just to let you know, a lot of what you pointed out in your long drawn-out post about your research is wrong. That is how deep in mud you're going to feel once you realize how big of a project this is. This is why I don't have a write-up on here. But since you're willing to challenge yourself, I am looking forward to seeing the results
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MarkOJ1011
Just to let you know, a lot of what you pointed out in your long drawn-out post about your research is wrong. That is how deep in mud you're going to feel once you realize how big of a project this is. This is why I don't have a write-up on here. But since you're willing to challenge yourself, I am looking forward to seeing the results
If you wouldn't mind, how bout sharing what it is that I am wrong about. Feel free to PM me, every bit of information is useful.

Last edited by LancerIsGo; Jan 31, 2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbolancer954
the mechanic is a well known mechanic hes built 1200hp s2k's for car magazines and stuff and he drives an evo so obviously he knows what hes talking about and he told me I could use any evo motor i wanted and he pretty much narrowed it down to 4000 for the swap 1500 for labor and 1000 for extra custom parts. He said it will still be making the same hp as the evo with the exception of being FWD. And obviously if i had enough money to buy an evo i wouldnt be driving around in a lancer and if u think u can find an evo for sale for 6500 then u let me know but since i only have 6500 to work with thats the best thing i can do to my car. But as of right now it comes down to this....Evo swap the lancer or sell it and get a 5th gen prelude
take the 6k bucks, put them in a savings account. save up another six grand, then sell the lancer for 5k, BAM, thats 17k bucks right there, thatll get you a nice evo8.
The swap would be cool to have, but it is alot of work and if you run into problems, you wont be able to take it to any shop, you will have to go to the guy who did the swap for you, that right there means he can charge you as much as he wants.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:17 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

^^ or like what he said and you can get a nice wrx for that price. then you get awd and turbo as well.....

Quick Reply: Evo swap into 02 lancer?