Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Evo swap into 02 lancer?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2009, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo swap into 02 lancer?

I really need help making the decision between swapping an evo motor into my 02 lancer or just forgetting about it and getting a new car. I have a mechanic that said he will do the whole evo swap and labor and everything for 6500 all hes gonna do is weld shut the transfercase so it will still be a FWD lancer just with the evo motor. However I know some people that are very car smart and they just keep telling me not to do it and its not worth it and just get a honda and build that. But ever since i got my lancer 2 years ago ive been wanting to do something crazy like the evo swap, so it makes me wanna keep the lancer and pay for the swap. Let me know what you all think, all advice is appreciated.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you think its worth doing... do it

whats worth doing and whats not, should be evaluated by you; everyone has different values for things like time, money, style, etc... so do what you want to do

plus... what if you dont like hondas...
Old Jul 5, 2009, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

6500 sounds not too bad to me. I have asked about an evo swap and people told me to not waste my time, claiming $15k+, but they were talking about converting my car to AWD, but if he can keep it FWD then I say do it. But that is just me
Old Jul 5, 2009, 05:26 AM

i wudnt say its a good price..

it depends..

which evo engine..will he use the evo tranny..or lancer s...?

what other parts will be used..?

too much welding and fabricating will not be nice..

so it depends on the details of the swap..
Old Jul 5, 2009, 05:42 AM
Account Disabled

OHH Gawd, ANOTHER One of these......:X
Yikerz.....
Old Jul 5, 2009, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a new car!!
Old Jul 5, 2009, 05:45 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
get a new car!!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Literally huh!?!?!?!
Old Jul 5, 2009, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It's not as simple as your mechanic is suggesting.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It's not as simple as your mechanic is suggesting.
+1

do some more reading here thru the forums and then make you decision. for the time and money put into doing this you COULD buy an evo and have a much better car
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JRR
+1

do some more reading here thru the forums and then make you decision. for the time and money put into doing this you COULD buy an evo and have a much better car
this!

I'm not sure who keeps spreading the word that an EVO motor can be swapped in our lancers, but they need to stop.

There's are no kits built that make this a breeze. This is not a plug it in and go job. You will have to do alot of fabrication, swearing, bleeding, and spend a lot of money.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

9 out of 10 people on the Lancer forum will tell you that putting a 4G63 into an OZ Rally is not worth it at all. 1 out of 10 people on the Lancer forum that would say otherwise should have their accounts disabled.

You can build so many other less expensive cars that will yield you better results. If I were to be forced to sell my Evo (i'd rather sell my organs) for something less expensive, I'd probably find an Integra GSR, LS1 F-body (note: fast), or a 1.8 Miata.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

I say if its something you wanna do and want to have something nobody else has BECAUSE nobody thinks its worth it go for it man. Nobody I hang out with thinks I should waste my time even turbo charging my car but do I care hell no man I am doing it because I WANT TO.. just my two cents
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Do a 4g64 swap and get an evo head. MUCH CHEAPER and there are a couple well documented swaps for it. That way you can keep the FWD without unnecessary welding and have a 2.4L evo motor with all the evo aftermarket support. Of course you would have to pick up the evo turbo system, ECU, etc.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 12:20 PM

Ok, so we've reached the point where we are kind of beating a dead horse, but here's my 2cents...Is it worth it?...to most, not, by the time u put the time and money into it, u could have an evo. Should u do it? If that's what you want, HELL YES...I know most ppl will tell u that u are wasting time and money, but a car is a special thing...u've gotta build it up how YOU want it. I also drive an 02 lancer that I'm hookin up, and eventually, i'd LOVE to do the swap...it isnt easy, and i know that, but I love my car, and yes i want an evo, but i also want a 4G63 Lancer! Do what makes you happy man, not what ppl tell you would be a waste of time or how dumb they think it would be!
Old Jul 5, 2009, 10:52 PM

the mechanic is a well known mechanic hes built 1200hp s2k's for car magazines and stuff and he drives an evo so obviously he knows what hes talking about and he told me I could use any evo motor i wanted and he pretty much narrowed it down to 4000 for the swap 1500 for labor and 1000 for extra custom parts. He said it will still be making the same hp as the evo with the exception of being FWD. And obviously if i had enough money to buy an evo i wouldnt be driving around in a lancer and if u think u can find an evo for sale for 6500 then u let me know but since i only have 6500 to work with thats the best thing i can do to my car. But as of right now it comes down to this....Evo swap the lancer or sell it and get a 5th gen prelude
The following users liked this post:
Warren Frank (Feb 4, 2020)

Quick Reply: Evo swap into 02 lancer?