Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

NA or Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA or Turbo?

What do you think (in your opinion) is better? What are some pros and cons of both, including install, part price, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
NA will cost nothing, your engine is already NA...if you're considering a high output NA motor, aka "All Motor", you're looking at a high compression engine build...cost would be the same as any fully built block, but you'd make less power than just turbocharging a stock 4G94 block...so there's my answer...

if you want 500hp you've got the wrong car...I'm making close to 300whp, and with front wheel drive, I have MAJOR traction problems...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Cranswick is spot on. My question is, what exactly do you want from your car? What will it be used for?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by SilentCool
Cranswick is spot on. My question is, what exactly do you want from your car? What will it be used for?
Honestly I want to crank out at least 200whp. I feel that this car has potential with that much power. Cranswick has 300 he said and loses traction a lot, I want the Lancer to be able to pull still while adding that extra power to the corners. I'm not going to be professionally racing this car I just want to know how much I can do with what I've got.(Which from my understanding, isn't very much. &#128531 she's more or less gonna be my fun car to mess around with :P

Last edited by OyoyOzRally; Apr 17, 2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

at 200whp, with an N/A build, you'll be probably in the neighborhood of $5k more broke, and still get spanked by PT Cruiser GT's...how much fun is that? turbo is more cost effective...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
at 200whp, with an N/A build, you'll be probably in the neighborhood of $5k more broke, and still get spanked by PT Cruiser GT's...how much fun is that? turbo is more cost effective...
Yeah? I'm really wanting to tune the car for corner driving, since I'm still fairly new to the scene I'm wondering if a bit lower whp would allow me to continue hauling through the corners without too much traction loss :P would this be feasible in that sense?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turbo is best but since you live in California I can see why you're trying to stay NA. I say if you want more power out of the 4g94 go turbo or don't bother. It's not worth trying to squeeze horsepower out of it NA. I know it's something you don't want to hear but we're trying to get you the best bang for your buck.... Or save you a bunch of money.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

without modification to the intake and exhaust system, and without building a high compression motor, your only option really is tuning...you might get 10hp from that...if you lived in a different state the options would be broader...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 04:57 PM

If you want "corner driving" performance, which is the same as my plans, all about that 0-60 instead of drag racing stuff, more for "showing off" on streets while driving from A to B work and school....you want to build for low end torque, not high rpm horsepower. I always think that turbo (especially aftermarket turbo) is not a good idea for a daily driver, because at first it might be more cost effective, but for every piece of the turbo setup is another thing that can go wrong and take your car off the road. Turbo builds are cheap at first, but build up the repair costs. Just my .02
Old Apr 25, 2015, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jimbowned
If you want "corner driving" performance, which is the same as my plans, all about that 0-60 instead of drag racing stuff, more for "showing off" on streets while driving from A to B work and school....you want to build for low end torque, not high rpm horsepower. I always think that turbo (especially aftermarket turbo) is not a good idea for a daily driver, because at first it might be more cost effective, but for every piece of the turbo setup is another thing that can go wrong and take your car off the road. Turbo builds are cheap at first, but build up the repair costs. Just my .02

how exactly do you build for low end torque? you're talking about stroking the motor...

and for the record, $50 14b turbo at 6psi...how's that for low end torque
Old May 11, 2015, 01:01 PM

Smile

So what I've gathered over the last few weeks is that low end torque is better for the cornering, my best bet is a turbo (Cranswick's dyno chart looked amazing) and since i'm in CA going turbo is gonna be fun lol What would be my better options when looking for turbos for the 4g94?
Old May 11, 2015, 01:14 PM

I totally just realized you wrote $50. my bad xP

I hope installation of the turbo isn't too much of a pain in the *** though.
How long has it taken you guys to install turbo's before? (if you have installed one.) :P
Old May 11, 2015, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OyoyOzRally
So what I've gathered over the last few weeks is that low end torque is better for the cornering, my best bet is a turbo (Cranswick's dyno chart looked amazing) and since i'm in CA going turbo is gonna be fun lol What would be my better options when looking for turbos for the 4g94?
I'm not sure if you seen this before but check these threads out. They may or may not be helpful. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ead-first.html

Also, based on what I have gathered, you may be looking at spending about $3000 for a turbo fully installed. I believe Cranswick was able to get his done for around $2000 if I'm not mistaken.
Old May 12, 2015, 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

$2,000 including ECU reflash and an hour of dyno tuning...took me over a year to collect parts, design and fabricate the kit, and about 8 hours to install it for the first time...
Old May 12, 2015, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

I would love to be able to turbo my car for that amount when I'm ready but most of us are not as mechanically inclined.

Last edited by SilentCool; May 12, 2015 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: NA or Turbo?