Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

60K service help plz

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60K service help plz

I have a 2012 ES Lancer and I'm reaching 60K miles soon.
I know I have to do some maintenance, can someone tell me
what are the basic and MUST do maintenance?
I live in LA and its been cold lately. In the morning or sometime during the day
or night(after parking for long hours) when I crank the ignition... it seems
to not have the cranking sound and it sounds like there is no power(a weak jerk kind sound) but if I kept cranking the key it would start the engine(usually just 3 or 4 seconds). Also in the morning I would warm my engine and lately I've been hearing some hissing/buzzing/beeping/wizzing sound. Something dying soon? I hate car problems -_-. I skipped the 30K service maintenance.

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

I called a auto shop and they want to charge me $200 for a 60K mileage maintenance service and I asked them what kind of service are they providing and they basically said just oil change, filter change and some inspections. At first it didn't sound like much is being done. I always thought the transmission oil had to be changed and spark plugs... Off hand I already know they will tell me change brake pads and change tires(I'm broke so I been holding it off).

Does this sound right?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes a shop will charge that. Dealer even more. Only early on did Mitsubishi require trans fluid to be changed before 120k miles . Now the CVT fluid change isn't 60k or sooner unless "hard driving" regularly. Look at trans dipstick, if really dark get it changed. Starts off red and get darker when burnt and old.
Plugs good until 100k +at miles. They are Iridium. I did mine at 50k and looked brand new still.
I did my coolant change myself at 50k too but it was also fine. It is a Long Life coolant and good until 120k miles.
Just do your own oil change and air filter. Super easy and not $200. Brakes are also very easy to do. Plenty of videos on youtube with how to for brake pads.
The Lancer is a very cheap car to maintain. Just keep up with oil changes to ensure the timing chain gets lubricated well.

Last edited by neverendingmods; Feb 12, 2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:13 AM

I flushed my radiator at 50k but I live in a tropical Island its always hot, oil, air filter maybe get a K&N, brake pads and inspect the rotors, if any un usual wear get them replaced, its a good time for easy upgrades. Check for any leaks or frayed wiring. I cleaned underneath every fender and inspected the area, swap the shocks if needed usually its recommended at 50k. Also just keep in mind normal everyday things like lights and all fluid levels
Old Feb 15, 2015, 04:42 PM

oil, plugs, belts, fluids is usually the basics. check bushings and motor mounts. my motormounts were shot by 50k miles..
Old Mar 25, 2015, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Lately when I brake to a near stop, I hear some sound. Maybe grinding sounds... Im thinking its the brakes... maybe I need to replace my brakes. I still haven't done my 60K... I don't have time and I've been short on funds with much going into repaying debts. I think I might just get oil change and replace air filter. When should I service the water pull or CVT chains(no timing belt?)?