Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

So I put my wheels on...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2003, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I put my wheels on...

For some reason my steering wheel vibrates and becomes all shaky when going at high speeds (70 MPH and above)

And when the car is moving, I always hear this noise like air swirling around the wheels (kinda like the intake but this time it's the wheels making that sound...)
Is it 'cuz of the tires so I don't need to worry about?
Or is it 'cuz of wrong offsets which means I'm officially f*cked now..
They have +42mm offsets.
Or something else?

Will an alignment help solve all these?
Or will I need to rebalance my tires?

I have 13000 Miles with Eibach lowering springs and new 17" wheels w/ 205/40 tires

Last edited by drummerjun; Dec 17, 2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2003, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

I recently put a set of 18 x 8 in rims on my car. They have the same 42mm offset. I have a little more tire noise then before but they are fine. When they balanced the wheels did they use weights that stick on or clamp on the edge of the rim. with larger wheels the stick on weights are better they are closer to the center line on the wheel which better balances the wheel then the clamp on the edge kind. I would go have them respin balance the wheels that should fix the shake. I ran a shop for 3 years but that is my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails So I put my wheels on...-sideshot1.jpg  
Old Dec 17, 2003, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

i vote for alignment and rebalance... i had the sort of the same problem when i first installed my wheels...even at 10 km/h there was a really f***ed vibration..my real wheels wobbled..i took them off and the reason was a unuseful screw on the rear drums.....maybe thats somehow related to your problem....
Old Dec 17, 2003, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

well you HAVE to get an alignmetn when you put on new rims and tires, so if you didnt get it done thats a good chance whym, and also dont forget the wheel weights
Old Dec 17, 2003, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

205 40 should be good... check your wheel clearance tho.. like going in a circle slowly and see if any rubbing also the tire makes noises too... depends on the tires pattarns... for examples..thos offroad look truck w/ thos big *** tires goes vroom when they are going over 50...like i said.. my Parada Spec is pretty noises..but i could care less cuz i rahter have untimate handeling
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

i worked with a tire place in the past and second i had the same problem .. basically your tires arent balance correctly.. ( usually if you get the tire and wheel package they arnt balance 100%) second it could be the alignment.. the "whishing" noise should be normal.. usually with aftermarket tires and wheels the sound will ger louder .. must my .02
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

yeah if you havent had your tires balanced they will do crazy things. before i had mine balanced they had this crazy gambling addiction. every monday morning i would come outside and there would be all these lottery tickets under the tires. weird.