Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

My car is electrically doomed /: Please attempt to help my poor lancer(Smoke&fire)!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car is electrically doomed /: Please attempt to help my poor lancer(Smoke&fire)!

Im hoping some of your advice will help me fix my lancers constant electrical issues. First off, I own a 2003 Lancer ES and until recently Ive been without gauge lights. My blinkers and what not still works. This happened around the time that my alternator died so when I got it replaced at the shop they noticed my right tail light and parking light were out as well. They replaced those as well as the fuses but only after they tried fixing the dash.

Apparently when changing the fuse for the gauge lights the dimmer switch started to catch fire. So i left it alone for two months using leds instead. I recently got a used dimmer switch and when installing it the lights worked! But of course after 2 min the dimmer switched started to smoke and now my right tail light and parking light are out. I tried following the dimmer switch wiring but it gets lost behind the dash. Everything else looks alright. If anyone can help lead me in the right direction please do so. What should I be checking and what is most likely the cause? THANKYOU so much in advance.

Last edited by whiteout; Jan 5, 2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Search for the Service manuals on this forum. Then use the wiring diagrams to help you.
Also, do you have a multimeter ?
It is fairly cheap and would enhance your diagnostic methods.