Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

06 Lancer Tensioner Pulley Alignment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 Lancer Tensioner Pulley Alignment

I am having an issue with the AC/PS tensioner puller alignment. The tensioner bolt is pointing towards the driver side and the belt does not get as tight as I would need it to get.

I have replaced the two tensioner bolts, the tensioner pulley, and the belt. Any thoughts? Am I tightening up things wrong? I can keep the bolt over to the passenger side until the belt starts to tighten. The pressure from the belt is pushing it to angle. There is a washer on the stud on the driver side of the arm, should I remove that?
Old May 1, 2013, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I was having the same issue. I took the bolt and pulley off. Then I took and put a little oil on the bolt and made sure the nut would go the entire way up and down the bolt, I also sanded down high spots on the bolt and took sandpaper to the bracket and the slot so it would move easily. Then I positioned the nut close to where I thought it had to be. I then had my wife put the nut and bolt back in place from the back since she had smaller hands than me. With her applying tension, I tightened the pulley back into place and made sure the pulley moved back and forth in the bracket easily prior to putting the belt on. But I kept the nut tight on the pulley so it wouldn't kick on me when using the tensioner.
Old May 1, 2013, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That makes sense. I bet the pulley is catching on the bracket instead of moving freely when I tighten the tensioner bolt. I have noticed that I have had to continually loosen the locking bolt to tighten the tensioner bolt further. I will try polishing it down and oiling it. Thank you.
Old May 2, 2013, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thats exactly what was happening to me. I took I file to the inside slot on the bracket too and took and put a light coat of Vaseline on the back of the pulley. You should be able to get the pulley to slide easily with the tensioner bolt snug.