Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

04 lancer oz rally, car starts and runs but cuts off when driving and come to a stop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 lancer oz rally, car starts and runs but cuts off when driving and come to a stop

i have an 04 lancer oz rally, i noticed i was having idle problems and it threw codes for the MAF, so i bought a new one of those a new battery and a new alternator. after i replaced all of those, my car still cuts off whenever im driving and i start to slow down or come to a stoplight. i checked the IAC's and they seem to be in working order....right now its not throwing any codes, but still continues to do this. any help would be great at this point and very much appreciated. im new to the whole import cars, however i know my way around old American muscle cars. please help.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do all the lights and electronics turn off as well or do the lights and whatnot stay on?
Does the engine quit all the sudden or sputter out?
Is it random or only when the car is up to temp or only when its hot outside or after its been driven for a while?

Its not that different from a muscle car, it still needs air, fuel and spark to run. One of those things isn't happening proplerly. Its the cause of it that can get complicated.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:48 AM

It just cuts off, idle dies down and then shuts off, the electronics stay on, but the engine just cuts off, I'll turn the key off and restart and she starts right up. I was think it it the crankshaft position sensor, sound bout right?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:50 AM

It's completely random, she will do it once every so often and then she will do it constantly. I call it she cuz she acts like a woman trying to get ready to go out, can't make up her mind what she wants to do. Lol
Old Sep 22, 2013, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any check engine lights? Cam position or crank position would make sense. I would think if it were a fuel pump issue it would sputter a bit.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 02:25 PM

Yeah that sounds like a crank sensor. I'm in the middle of doing one myself if you need help or pics I'll be glad to help you out. Only other thing that comes to mind is the check ground wires make sure nothing is corroded sometimes this can be cause issues I had the same problem with a Sentra I owned and it was ground wire on starter. Check Ignition as while your at it. Hope this helps
Old Sep 24, 2013, 09:16 AM

This is whak, I know, but also check vac lines to and from the evap canister. A leaky canister can inject air into the system and cause idle to fail. Some ECUs trigger a purge at idle, like coming to a stop, to dump vapor and this can cause the mix to lean out. Saabs do this, and when the ECU sees the stumble, it kills the engine.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

When I had a bad cam position sensor I had the same exact problem.