Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

just bought 03 lancer oz rally

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2014, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought 03 lancer oz rally

I just bought this off of CL. It has a salvaged title. Seems to run nice, tons of aftermarket stuff. K&N short ram intake, racing exhaust, short shift kit. There is one think i cant identify, a small greyish plastic box, slightly smaller than a radar detector. Similar look. But it has a a mode button, a button labeled speed, and a variable control sliding knob. Anyone know what this is? I paid 2100 for this car, so far it looks as if i will only have to replace the rotors. I watched this car sit on craigslist for a bit, it started at 3400. I waited till it dropped into my current budget and swooped on it. Ive always wanted a lancer. Did I get a good deal?
Old May 19, 2014, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

How many miles? As far as the salvage title goes that may not be as bad as you think, if as car gets damaged(even if it's strictly body damage) around half it's blue book value the insurance company will deem it a total loss and issue a salvage title. Give it a real good looking over, inspect the engine compartment for any leaks, inspect the frame, check the wear on the tires. In regard to the box you saw, it might be some kind of fuel management unit, but somebody obviously put a bit of money into that thing.
Old May 19, 2014, 07:35 AM

it has 136k, I did a pretty thorough run through. I didnt see any frame damage, or leaks. When it started up it was obvious it hadn't been run in a while. I let it idle for a few minutes, then it settled right in. It has numerous minor dents and dings, and a gawdawful black flames vinyl on both sides, the yellow body paint is cracking here and there, and the left rear qtr panel has a sizable ding, not immediately noticeable due to the vinyl. But the inside is immaculate, the OZ racing seats are a little faded but not a tear to be seen. The car seems like such a steal, i am a little nervous. But from everything i have seen, it would appear i got a pretty good deal.
Old May 20, 2014, 02:12 AM
Evolving Member

From your description it doesn't sound bad at all. As long as a good collision shop did whatever work was done I'd say you're pretty good.
Old May 20, 2014, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think you're fine. Especially if you have done a thorough inspection. If there's anything you are unsure about just replace it or get it checked out at a reputable shop. These cars do not have any major issues.

I bought mine with 135k miles about a year ago. Not a problem.
Old May 20, 2014, 07:23 AM

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the reassurance. I've been wanting a lancer for a while, but cant afford an EVO, so I went with the look, and its souped up enough to still be sporty. i am used to BMW's, but a little burned out now on them, the local shops charge almost 200/hr for labor on them. And i was only messing around with older e36's so as you can probably guess, they were in the shop way too often ! But i am very excited, still have to figure out what that grey "speed box" is. I don't kow what else to call it !
Old May 20, 2014, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by CustomUpfits
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the reassurance. I've been wanting a lancer for a while, but cant afford an EVO, so I went with the look, and its souped up enough to still be sporty. i am used to BMW's, but a little burned out now on them, the local shops charge almost 200/hr for labor on them. And i was only messing around with older e36's so as you can probably guess, they were in the shop way too often ! But i am very excited, still have to figure out what that grey "speed box" is. I don't kow what else to call it !
Sorry I can't help with that box. Wish I knew what it was.