Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Dying Lancer Seeks Assistance :/// (sludge in bell housing)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Dying Lancer Seeks Assistance :/// (sludge in bell housing)

oook... soo, my lancers got some problems, I usually just fix it up good enough and let it ride. Recently, I've been having major clutch-slippage problems. I replaced the clutch a little over a year ago (no new flywheel) and all was well. But for the last few months, there have been times where I could redline all my gears (while driving, without any torque-response...basically the ish is just slipping). Some days the car does dec (especially if it's cold out), but with summer here, it's been a mess... so bad that I can't even drive on the highway because the car can't pull enough power to get over 45MPH... Anyways, today I was doing some inspection of the slave/master cylinders and fluid levels (fluid is at medium level). I couldn't find any leaking fluid anywhere... I saw the rubber boot where the shifting fork thing goes into the bell housing and decided I'd stick my finger in there.... aaannnnd basically the bell housing is full of thick black sludge... wtf... I want to avoid replacing the clutch since it's not very old, and was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do next, or what might have leaked all that fluid... it's also worth noting that the entire engine leaks oily sludge from about the valve cover down... that's a mess too (the sludge in the bell housing seems to be a difference consistency, more thick black and sludgy :/ also, there isn't a clear "oil trail" from the engine leak towards the bell housing)

Soooo yea, any tips, advice, or resources would be greatly appreciated

Old May 28, 2014, 05:51 AM

Sounds like the rear engine seal is gone and engine oil is splashing around inside the bell housing. The sludge you found inside is likely engine oil mixed with burnt clutch dust. It only takes a tiny amount of oil on the flywheel to make the clutch slip like you described.

The only way I know how to properly fix this is to drop the trans, replace the rear engine seal, clean everything thoroughly - and this time you WILL need to get your flywheel resurfaced or replaced. Hopefully your clutch has some life left in it!

Good luck!

Last edited by supertuffy; May 28, 2014 at 05:54 AM.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:28 AM

thanks brotha; I talked with another buddy of mine and he basically said just take it all apart and see what's wrong... well I know what I'll be doing for the next week;; thanks for the info on the seal though, I'll look for that while I'm in there.