Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP!!! Unknown noise coming from FL.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Unknown noise coming from FL.

Ok guys, like most of you guys if there is a unkown noise coming from your car, you are gonna find the sob and fix it. My problem is that I cannot find the source of this noise and Im desperste for advice.

THE NOISE: it is a uneven clanking (metal on metal) kind of sound. I hear it coming from the front left. It is always there, like not just when I turn, or hit a bump. It is loud enough to hear over engine noise. I would also like to add in that I feel a slight tap in sync with the noise of the foot rest.

Ok so Ive asked around and did some inspecting for myself and I have created a list of possibilities. I am asking you guys if maybe you could help me rule out or even add more to the list. (ALL INPUTS ARE HELPFUL). Lastly Id like to add that the car drives and handles fine as if nothing is wrong.

POSSIBILITIES:
CV shaft
wheel bearing
ball joints
coilover
transfer case
clutch fork
rotors/breaks
tie rods

I have personally inspected the axle so check for unusual play and for rips in the boots. From my personal opinion I beleive its ok, also Ive been told it would only make noise when I turn.
My buddy had a similar (almost identical) noise on his Legacy GT, and it turned out that his wheel bearing had gone bad and ate away at the CV shaft. I would like to eliminate the wheel bearing from the list because a bad wheel bearing usually makes a whirring sound, correct? I havent heard this noise, but Im not sure it its loud enough to hear over the engine noise.
Ball Joints: my biggest fear. I have heard that the noise of ball joint on the tie rod has noises consistant to that of mine, but only when turning. The lower ball joint looks good the eye, and Ive read that the lower ball joint, when bad, makes a significant noise as if someone took a sludge hammer to your fender, which doesnt sound like my noise.
The coilover is a strong contender. I have a set of Tein Monoflex coilovers. Due to normal wear they can go bad and to add that I live in New England and the roads are horrific. "Coil slap" could be the problem and can be reduced with rubber rings "silencers". What else on the coilever could cause this clanking noise?
Transfer case Id like to rule out right away because a bad transfer case has a high pitched whirring noise, unconsistant with mine. Could anything else be wrong with the transfer case to cause such noise?
Someone told me to check the clutch fork but wouldnt you have mechanical problems along with the noise, if it was thr clutch fork?
Breaks and rotors look fine to me, and Ive heard have a consistent sound to mine when bad. However Ive read that they should only make noise when turning.
Lastly tie rods. The boots are intact no rips. The cars alignment is good, it doesnt pull to any side. But i have heard reports of a similar noise at the tie rods.

Ok here is where you guys (the experts) come in. Feel free to chime in on my methods, give me new ideas, new methods to test the possibilities. Feel free to add to the list, or help me rule out a few. Tell me your similar senarios and how you fixed it. Thanks.
Old May 23, 2015, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

check the drive shaft to see if its making a contact with exhaust that's what mine was towards the end
Old May 23, 2015, 09:00 PM

I heard several owners of Evo complain about a noise in front left. It is often the shock absorber or the coilover which slams(clicks).
Try to put back your OEM shock absorbers, just for test
Old May 23, 2015, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
When my A/C compressor locked up, it started making a gawd aweful noise. A few weeks later the R134 blew out of it, then a couple days later it died in spectacular fashion by throwing sparks and smoking trying to catch itself on fire. Hopefully that's not it though, good luck.
Old May 24, 2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Dje69
I heard several owners of Evo complain about a noise in front left. It is often the shock absorber or the coilover which slams(clicks).
Try to put back your OEM shock absorbers, just for test
I am more inclined to beleive that it is the shock absorber cause everything else seems to be in check, also I put the car on jacks, put it in gear and let it roll and the noise was gone, so it only makes that noise when the weight of the car is on it.
Old May 24, 2015, 11:35 PM

I had this noise and mechanic found that my front left shock was leaking slightly (it was a brand new one). Got it replaced and noise is gone.