Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Karts!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Karts!

I was wondering how many of you guys kart? I race shifter karts at englishtown and have met a few people on the board. The evo is one of my favorite cars, but I can't afford one. I also am into F1 which kinda goes along with the kart thing. I was just wondering who had similar interests...
Old Jun 8, 2007, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Ive been WKA since i was 13. Race sprint enduros at Loundon.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Used to race WKA Mnf. Cup/ SKUSA, now SCCA.....

Scorke
Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

perty sweeet!
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Started out with classes at Jim Hall Racing. Then got a used Rotax DD2 to run at Xplex Las Vegas. Now I'm building a KT100 for Sr. Superbox Heavy at Las Vegas speedway. I'd got to say that Karting has really sharpened my skills as a driver and anyone who underestimates the learning potential one gets from karting should try it for themselves.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Evo z you are correct for sure! the DD2 seems like something i really want to try!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

What's a good class to start in?
Old Jun 11, 2007, 01:19 PM

I kart at champion racing in OKC. Its alot of fun. You can learn alot about proper driving that way.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yoda
What's a good class to start in?
What are your goals/aspirations?

A shifter kart, although the ultimate in terms of performance/feel throughs wayyy too many variables in the mix to start IMHO.
I started in Yamaha KT100 "Can" class.
Sometimes called jr sportsman or a host of all kinds of names its a 100 cc single gear kart, maybe 14-15 hp and no tq, really slow, momentum to the maxmimum being offline 12 inches was 3-4 tenths in some corners its ridiculous. Raced KT100 "Pipe" which is the same 100 cc 2 stroke motor, same carburetor, with a tuned exhaust that made over 20 hp, same weight restrictions I believe, much heavier duty clutch/ extra 2k rpm rev limit and it was like a rocket comparitively.

Also race HPV's which are similar, these are fun because they make similar power (different class altogether usually) with a peaky powerband but incredible pull up top. Then I raced 80 cc shifters which are just small displacement shifter karts, I believe the motors when we raced were out of the yamaha/honda 2 stroke 80-85 cc dirtbikes, low 30's in Hp 6gears, no front brakes still, considerably heavier, moto gear box so you only used the clutch to launch, 15k rpm redline if I recall correctly, something close to that, very fun very quick however these things required rebuilds every 150 laps or so compaired to a half/ full season on the Yamaha can motors. Rebuild was just a top end (piston/ring) but it was about 150 bucks each time, a slight pain the ***. Along with the increased cost maintenance wise it ate tires about about twice the rate of the lower powered KT100/HPV based motors. Tires are not cheap but not ridiculous I believe about 300 a set?

125cc shifter/ICC/ Whatever high displacement shifter engines are the jump from the 100 cc motors to the 80 cc shifter again, this time Another 10-15 hp depending on the motors and front brakes, again maintenance is more again, tires go faster, everything has a shorter track life, stuff brakes, finding the speed to compete at a national level competitively will get in you into the best open wheel series in the world. These thing's look like toys but driving them is the closest thing you get according to lots of professional drivers of IRL/F1/Cart/Whatever in terms of G's and reaction times.

Have fun, ekartingnews.com was a good resource when I raced don't know about now...

Scorke
Old Jun 11, 2007, 02:31 PM

I just joined the Canadian Rookie Karting Championship (CRKC) this year for fun...and i am having a blast. The Karts are Honda GX200 no restrictor.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the info. I guess as of now I don't know exactly where I want to start. I don't have much track experience, but I drove a decent kart on the track once. It was a slower kind like the one you described but it was a blast. I think it would be fun to do some open days and get the hang of it, maybe take a karting class and then get into some racing possibly next year. I'm about 6' 200lbs. so I don't know if that fits into the equation somewhere or if all shapes and sizes can be competitive.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

On a national level you would have 0 chance of being competitive unless you were god. On a national level they will run "heavy" and "light" classes, locally if they have the size they might pick a medium weight to satisfy the whole crowd.

Look at Marco Andretti(raced against him grrrr bishhh haha) , Scott Speed, Michael Valiente, none of them are over 160

Scorke